Free From Adrenal Fatigue & Hashimotos

Gran Turisma

I can say without reservation that I am now free from adrenal fatigue and Hashimotos as far as them being "conditions". Occasionally I will get familiar symptoms, but now I know what it is that has triggered them... either severe lack of sleep, or something I've eaten.

It took me a long time to work out what the problem was, since my lovely Doctor (who really is very lovely, and very receptive to all the research I present to her) was not able to give me a diagnosis for either condition. I also tried a variety of alternative practitioners, and umpteen supplements in my quest for wellness.

After a few years, and literally hundreds of hours of research and trial and error, I self-diagnosed adrenal fatigue and Hashimotos (with blood and saliva work to back it up - something I, not my Dr., self-referred and organised with a Path lab). It did take me to some scary places, self-prescribing all sorts of things I didn't need, but it was well worth it.

Firstly, I worked out that I had gluten intolerance. Having pure liquid movements is not fun. (This is how they became after a diet I was given by a Chinese Herbalist, where I was not eating any grains at all except for rice, and the intolerance really kicked in... something that seems unique to gluten. The more you remove it, the more sensitive you become.) Due to this severe diarrhea the lack of nutrients being absorbed caused sore teeth and gums and for a while there I had to brush my teeth with warm water and be extra careful of what I ate/drank. I was also having to supplement heavily with magnesium and other minerals to get adequate levels into my body. All this was rectified when I removed gluten (which actually took a couple of years to completely achieve as I didn't realise it was in things like soy sauce).

But my energy was still low, I was still getting a weird feeling around my neck/shoulders after eating certain foods, and the most outwardly noticeable symptom which I'd had for several years, was a puffy eyelid. Sometimes it was both eyelids, but usually just the right.

When I worked out I had adrenal fatigue, I tried all the usual advice, all the typical supplements, removed all the "stimulants" like coffee and sugar, blah blah blah. None of these helped. I even tried an adrenal glandular, but that ended very badly. After taking it a few weeks, I started to get a mega pain in my adrenals after taking a dose, which lasted about half an hour. It would have me buckled over, and when I am in pain, my blood pressure also plummets. Not fun. Also, in a lead up to that, I was developing a feeling of impending doom upon waking in the morning. All this cleared up when I got off the adrenal glandular.

After another year or so of other trials and tribulations with my health experiments, I finally thought to ask myself what the primary function of the adrenals is. Well, doh, it provides cortisol to combat inflammation. So then I thought, what is causing the inflammation? The most obvious thing to me was food. So then I started researching inflammatory foods and discovered Ray's website. The info about the veg oils was life transforming. I removed ALL foods high in Omega 6, nuts, seeds, avocado, umpteen condiments with the bad veg oils, (switched to just olive, coconut, and palm oils), also cut down on sulphites, and along the way, reduced my fructose intake to low fructose fruits. Reducing the Omega 6 made the most immediate and biggest difference. My Hashimotos symptoms all cleared up, and my energy returned to a healthy state! My breasts don't get sore leading up to my period, and my periods are barely painful now. Also, for a long time I had this itch at a particular spot next to one of my shoulder blades, and that also disappeared.

I am pretty meticulous about scrutinising ingredients labels now. I know there are some other suspect foods that can make me feel weird but I'm not 100% sure about them. So it's easier to bake my own sweets, and know exactly what is in them. Then I don't get symptoms. I also still eat loads of chocolate and this is never a problem the way you would think it was if you go by the mainstream treatments for adrenal fatigue. Sugar is fine, just don't make a meal out of it!

Also, I don't know if Ray talks about this, but I think it's important to know that if you are eating fat from animals that are not organic, grass fed, free range, then you are eating the toxins they are given. Fat is the storage place for toxins. So if you are eating bacon from a pig that is caged in a pen all day and consequently pumped with antibiotics, and is fed soy (which I think even free range, organic pigs are fed), then you are going to be consuming the soy indirectly. I noticed that eating bacon (organic, free range) was giving me that weird feeling around my neck/shoulder (basically my thyroid was reacting). I eat organic, free range meat at home, and when out, I either avoid meat, or cut off the fat.

I did a crap load of supplements over the years. None of them made much difference, except for magnesium and zinc, which our soils in this country are are pretty low in. Also, for my thyroid, I do think it helps taking both selenium and iodine for that conversion of the Ts to take place. But everything else is easily gotten from organic, fresh foods. I suspect that when your body is no longer wasting its resources (including nutrients) fighting the effects of bad foods, it can assimilate nutrients more efficiently.

OP
G

Gran Turisma

Oh, and I also avoid soy like the plague, except soy lecithin. I try to avoid crucifers, though I generally don't like the taste of them anyway, but I love Japanese food (gluten free sauces please), which will often have both soy sauce and cabbage.

tomisonbottom

Gran Turisma said:
But my energy was still low, I was still getting a weird feeling around my neck/shoulders after eating certain foods, and the most outwardly noticeable symptom which I'd had for several years, was a puffy eyelid. Sometimes it was both eyelids, but usually just the right.

I have a question about that because my lower left eyelid has a "bag", but it's only that eye and it's really only noticeable when I smile. Was yours like that?

OP
G

Gran Turisma

Not sure what you mean by "lower" eyelid. For me it was like when you cry and the eyelids get swollen, only it was generally just the one eyelid.

tomisonbottom

I just meant beneath the lower lashline; the tear trough, "eye bag" area.
So I was wondering if it included the area beneath your eye too.......

OP
G

Gran Turisma

Ahh, ok. No, no problems with the lower area.

I am making an "educated" guess (as in, based on my own research), that if there is any kind of swelling, no matter what it looks like, there is some kind of inflammation. If you are following Ray's diet fully, this should address systemic inflammation. Of course, other things, eg viruses, and foreign objects lodged in an area, can also cause inflammation. Have you seen a doctor about it? It's impossible for them to know everything, but sometimes they hit the jackpot. ;) Also, have you always had it, or did it suddenly appear one day? Some things are just a part of our genetic make up. :)

Abc123

Bumping this thread! I am suffering from adrenal fatigue and hashimotos. I did remove gluten from my diet. I really think I need to remove the white rice and the Brown Rice /Pea protein I've been consuming. I get extreme pain and tightness in my Neck/Trap/Shoulder Blade area. Does anyone have any other recommendations for adrenal fatigue and hashimotos?

I remember a Podcast with Danny and @haidut states that sugar is important for the cells when you have hashimotos. Any other input i greatly appreciate!

NodeCerebri

Nice thread, thank you.
As I can agree to everything you said as I suffer from the same conditions, I just want to add that magnesium made a huge difference in the pain in the shoulder blades area. No massages, no physical therapy, no other supplements, just magnesium. It’s important to know which form of magnesium is best. For me it was mg glycinate and foot baths with mg sulphate now and then. My posture improved on its own? when I finally was replenished in mg again. But I also watch my salt and potassium intake. And I don’t drink that much fluids.