Free Fatty Acids (FFA) Suppression

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I would like to be able to suppress FFA, but I am not able to use aspirin because it flares up my seborrheic dermatitis which can get slightly painful. And I cannot use niacinamide, because it crashes my metabolism(I have only used the Beyond a Century powder kind, maybe I need to try another?)

Do I have any other options?

Many thanks for any help.

juanitacarlos

Just off the top of my head, increasing coconut oil and I guess Vit E would help? And keeping blood sugar stable. All the stuff you're doing anyway I'm sure.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks for chiming in ttramone. :hattip

I get a ton of coconut oil, I even slather it on myself in copious amounts. Had bad luck with vitamin E. :( And I do a pretty good job of staying fueled up constantly. Just was wondering if maybe there was some other kind of supplement that I am forgetting about that will help.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Found this:

Bromocriptine reduced the daily peak in FFA by 26% during the late light span (p < .05).” “Thus, bromocriptine-induced resetting of daily patterns of SCN neurotransmitter metabolism is associated with the effects of bromocriptine on attenuation of the obese insulin-resistant and glucose-intolerant condition. A large body of corroborating evidence suggests that such bromocriptine-induced changes in SCN monoamine metabolism may be functional in its effects on metabolism.”
Source

Of course I have an uncooperative doctor so I wont be able to get this. And it was pretty expensive ordered overseas IIRC.

juanitacarlos

That's interesting about the bromocriptine Charlie. It is expensive too. I was looking at it earlier this week at farmacia delnino. Something like $80 for 28 2.5mg tablets. Do you know anything about the dosing, if per chance, you were to use it?

Mittir

Bromocriptine looks like an interesting supplement. There was a thread on bromocriptine and i think there
were some people who were having bad side affects with it. I will check that thread later.
Though it is an anti-serotonin chemical, it is not clear to me
whether it directly lowers FFA or does that by improving sugar metabolism. FFA increases serotonin and gut irritation is one of the major cause of increased serotonin. High PTH also increases serotonin. He commented that large carb meal increases serotonin. Eating small meals seems more beneficial than i thought before. Here is his quote on bromoccriptine

A large carbohydrate meal increases the ratio of tryptophan to the competing amino acids, and it has been proposed that this can shift the body’s balance toward increased serotonin. In an animal study, bromocriptine, which shifts the balance away from serotonin, reduced obesity and insulin and free fatty acids, and improved glucose tolerance.

andvanwyk

Out of curiosity, how do you know your FFA are high at the moment and need to be suppressed? Blood test?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ttramone said:
That's interesting about the bromocriptine Charlie. It is expensive too. I was looking at it earlier this week at farmacia delnino. Something like $80 for 28 2.5mg tablets. Do you know anything about the dosing, if per chance, you were to use it?

No, I am not sure about the dosing. It seems like bromocriptine would do a lot of good stuff though.

Mittir said:
Bromocriptine looks like an interesting supplement. There was a thread on bromocriptine and i think there
were some people who were having bad side affects with it. I will check that thread later.
Though it is an anti-serotonin chemical, it is not clear to me
whether it directly lowers FFA or does that by improving sugar metabolism. FFA increases serotonin and gut irritation is one of the major cause of increased serotonin. High PTH also increases serotonin. He commented that large carb meal increases serotonin. Eating small meals seems more beneficial than i thought before. Here is his quote on bromoccriptine

A large carbohydrate meal increases the ratio of tryptophan to the competing amino acids, and it has been proposed that this can shift the body’s balance toward increased serotonin. In an animal study, bromocriptine, which shifts the balance away from serotonin, reduced obesity and insulin and free fatty acids, and improved glucose tolerance.

It looks like it lowers prolactin.

andvanwyk said:
Out of curiosity, how do you know your FFA are high at the moment and need to be suppressed? Blood test?

I dont know. Last night I was going through some newsletters and kept seeing where Ray Peat said niacinamide and aspirin lowers FFA, and then I got all sad because I cant take either one and was hoping there was some kind of other substance I could take.

HDD

"Endotoxin indirectly causes the release of free fatty acids, and if you are PUFA ridden surely contributes to yet another feedback loop." - Edward

It seems gut health is a factor in FFA release.

"Things to reduce the stress-related coagulopathies: Sugar and niacin to minimize the liberation of fatty acids, progesterone and thyroid to protect against estrogen and to avoid hypoglycemia (which increases adrenaline and free fatty acids and accelerates clotting), magnesium and gelatin (or glycine), to protect against intracellular calcium overload and hypoxia, and vitamin E and salicylic acid for antiinflammatory effects, are major nutrients that protect the circulatory system against clotting, bleeding, edema, and tumefaction."

You have allergic reactions to aspirin and Vitamin E?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Aspirin flares up my dermatitis, and in a very bad way.

Vitamin E crashed my metabolism, two different brands did this.

Niacinamide, crashed my metabolism. I only tried the Beyond A Century brand, might try another.

:(

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No, maybe I should.

HDD

Aspirin is a salicylate. Do you have problems with foods in the salicylate family?

I definitely think you should ask RP since you are having issues with 3 different supplements.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Haagendazendiane said:
I definitely think you should ask RP since you are having issues with 3 different supplements.

Not that I know of.

J

j.

You tried Unique E and LotionCrafter? I tried Unique E and didn't work for me. I'm using Solgar Liquid at the moment with no problems. It has sunflower oil though, I don't know how good is that.

J

j.

Also, regarding vitamin E, if you tolerate Thorne K2, you're likely to tolerate Thorne Vitamin E, because the Thorne K2 already contains vitamin E.

burtlancast

Charlie said:

Niacinamide, crashed my metabolism. I only tried the Beyond A Century brand, might try another.

Did you try dry Vit E ( Unique E) ?

And niacin or hexaniacinate instead if niacinamide ?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
burtlancast said:
Charlie said:

Did you try dry Vit E ( Unique E) ?

And niacin or hexaniacinate instead if niacinamide ?

Yes, I tried Unique E and it caused me problems.

I have not tried niacin or hexaniacinate.

burtlancast

Charlie said:
I tried Unique E and it caused me problems.

As i've read all of Shute's books on Vit E, i'm kind of curious to know what were your dosages and symptoms ?
I have myself taken 800 UI/ day and felt very well ; about 97% of people can usually tolerate these dosages.

J

j.

burt, it's not the vitamin E itself, it's unique e what's giving problems to a lot of people. i can't consume even 400 IU of unique E, but can take 2000 IU of solgar's liquid E without a problem.