Free Fatty Acids (FFA) Suppression

Discussion in 'Supplements' started by charlie, Aug 12, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

I would like to be able to suppress FFA, but I am not able to use aspirin because it flares up my seborrheic dermatitis which can get slightly painful. And I cannot use niacinamide, because it crashes my metabolism(I have only used the Beyond a Century powder kind, maybe I need to try another?)

Do I have any other options?

Many thanks for any help.

2. juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos Member

Just off the top of my head, increasing coconut oil and I guess Vit E would help? And keeping blood sugar stable. All the stuff you're doing anyway I'm sure.

3. OP
    charlie

Thanks for chiming in ttramone. :hattip

I get a ton of coconut oil, I even slather it on myself in copious amounts. Had bad luck with vitamin E. :( And I do a pretty good job of staying fueled up constantly. Just was wondering if maybe there was some other kind of supplement that I am forgetting about that will help.

4. OP
    charlie

Found this:

Source

Of course I have an uncooperative doctor so I wont be able to get this. And it was pretty expensive ordered overseas IIRC.

5. juanitacarlos

juanitacarlos Member

That's interesting about the bromocriptine Charlie. It is expensive too. I was looking at it earlier this week at farmacia delnino. Something like $80 for 28 2.5mg tablets. Do you know anything about the dosing, if per chance, you were to use it?

6. Mittir

Mittir Member

Bromocriptine looks like an interesting supplement. There was a thread on bromocriptine and i think there
    were some people who were having bad side affects with it. I will check that thread later.
    Though it is an anti-serotonin chemical, it is not clear to me
    whether it directly lowers FFA or does that by improving sugar metabolism. FFA increases serotonin and gut irritation is one of the major cause of increased serotonin. High PTH also increases serotonin. He commented that large carb meal increases serotonin. Eating small meals seems more beneficial than i thought before. Here is his quote on bromoccriptine

7. andvanwyk

andvanwyk Member

Out of curiosity, how do you know your FFA are high at the moment and need to be suppressed? Blood test?

8. OP
    charlie

No, I am not sure about the dosing. It seems like bromocriptine would do a lot of good stuff though.

It looks like it lowers prolactin.

I dont know. Last night I was going through some newsletters and kept seeing where Ray Peat said niacinamide and aspirin lowers FFA, and then I got all sad because I cant take either one and was hoping there was some kind of other substance I could take.

9. HDD

HDD Member

"Endotoxin indirectly causes the release of free fatty acids, and if you are PUFA ridden surely contributes to yet another feedback loop." - Edward

It seems gut health is a factor in FFA release.

"Things to reduce the stress-related coagulopathies: Sugar and niacin to minimize the liberation of fatty acids, progesterone and thyroid to protect against estrogen and to avoid hypoglycemia (which increases adrenaline and free fatty acids and accelerates clotting), magnesium and gelatin (or glycine), to protect against intracellular calcium overload and hypoxia, and vitamin E and salicylic acid for antiinflammatory effects, are major nutrients that protect the circulatory system against clotting, bleeding, edema, and tumefaction."

You have allergic reactions to aspirin and Vitamin E?

10. OP
    charlie

Aspirin flares up my dermatitis, and in a very bad way.

Vitamin E crashed my metabolism, two different brands did this.

Niacinamide, crashed my metabolism. I only tried the Beyond A Century brand, might try another.

:(

11. HDD

HDD Member

Have you emailed Ray Peat about your reactions?

12. OP
    charlie

No, maybe I should.

13. HDD

HDD Member

Aspirin is a salicylate. Do you have problems with foods in the salicylate family?

I definitely think you should ask RP since you are having issues with 3 different supplements.

14. OP
    charlie

Not that I know of.

15. j.

j. Guest

You tried Unique E and LotionCrafter? I tried Unique E and didn't work for me. I'm using Solgar Liquid at the moment with no problems. It has sunflower oil though, I don't know how good is that.

16. j.

j. Guest

Also, regarding vitamin E, if you tolerate Thorne K2, you're likely to tolerate Thorne Vitamin E, because the Thorne K2 already contains vitamin E.

17. burtlancast

burtlancast Member

Did you try dry Vit E ( Unique E) ?

And niacin or hexaniacinate instead if niacinamide ?

18. OP
    charlie

Yes, I tried Unique E and it caused me problems.

I have not tried niacin or hexaniacinate.

19. burtlancast

burtlancast Member

As i've read all of Shute's books on Vit E, i'm kind of curious to know what were your dosages and symptoms ?
    I have myself taken 800 UI/ day and felt very well ; about 97% of people can usually tolerate these dosages.

20. j.

j. Guest

burt, it's not the vitamin E itself, it's unique e what's giving problems to a lot of people. i can't consume even 400 IU of unique E, but can take 2000 IU of solgar's liquid E without a problem.