Free Fatty Acid and Thyroid

P

Peatness

Dr Peat says that high free fatty acid in the blood can interfere with thyroid. If that is the case how does one manage to lower cholesterol and fat in general with thyroid supplement if one has high free fatty acid? Taking niacinamide would cause a stress reaction when combined with thyroid (this is my experience). It is also likely this combination might stimulate adrenaline and cause more stress. Is there a way round this? Thiamine’s role in this instance is still unclear to me, though, I continue to supplement with it daily.

youngsinatra

Cholesterol isn't a free fatty acid, but a lipo-protein - a protein that carries the cholesterol. It is very important for the genesis of the protective youth-associated sex hormones - pregnenalone, progesterone, DHEA, DHT - a field of research that Ray Peat has investigated a lot of time in.

Lowering the total dietary fat intake is beneficial from my experience for boosting metabolism, by keeping the randle cycle running well and glucose oxidation on peak.

If niacinamide causes a stress-reaction, then it might be too stimulating for you at the current time.
From my experience, I need a lot of starchy carbohydrates when I take niacinamide. - like 100g of carbs in a meal (rice, lean beef, veggies, OJ)

Niacinamide, thiamine, caffeine... all stimulate glucose oxidation A LOT. So you need to be properly fueled or otherwise you have no glucose left to burn and then you activate the stress-cascade as a compensatory mechanism.

How many calories do you eat? How often? What amount of B3 and B1 are you taking?

Peace!

OP
P

Peatness

Cholesterol isn't a free fatty acid, but a lipo-protein - a protein that carries the cholesterol. It is very important for the genesis of the protective youth-associated sex hormones - pregnenalone, progesterone, DHEA, DHT - a field of research that Ray Peat has investigated a lot of time in.

Lowering the total dietary fat intake is beneficial from my experience for boosting metabolism, by keeping the randle cycle running well and glucose oxidation on peak.

If niacinamide causes a stress-reaction, then it might be too stimulating for you at the current time.
From my experience, I need a lot of starchy carbohydrates when I take niacinamide. - like 100g of carbs in a meal (rice, lean beef, veggies, OJ)

Niacinamide, thiamine, caffeine... all stimulate glucose oxidation A LOT. So you need to be properly fueled or otherwise you have no glucose left to burn and then you activate the stress-cascade as a compensatory mechanism.

How many calories do you eat? How often? What amount of B3 and B1 are you taking?

Peace!
Thank you for your reply. I didn’t conflate the two, free fatty acid and cholesterol. Both are elevated in my blood test. You are correct in suggesting that lowing fat intake is a good idea, I am doing this already. Unfortunately, when I started peating I was not so mindful of fat intake.

My calorie intake is adequate, I.5 litres of milk, juice, and fruit throughout the day, fish, organ meat, or eggs (one serving per day). I approximate my overall calorie intake around 2500 per day.

I have a low carb history, as such I have not adapted well to higher sugar/carb (plus my earlier higher fat intake). I know this because I developed high blood pressure and high cholesterol following the change. My blood sugar test is at the high end of normal. The things that should help pushes me further into stress, i.e elevated blood pressure.

youngsinatra

Thank you for your reply. I didn’t conflate the two, free fatty acid and cholesterol. Both are elevated in my blood test. You are correct in suggesting that lowing fat intake is a good idea, I am doing this already. Unfortunately, when I started peating I was not so mindful of fat intake.

My calorie intake is adequate, I.5 litres of milk, juice, and fruit throughout the day, fish, organ meat, or eggs (one serving per day). I approximate my overall calorie intake around 2500 per day.

I have a low carb history, as such I have not adapted well to higher sugar/carb (plus my earlier higher fat intake). I know this because I developed high blood pressure and high cholesterol following the change. My blood sugar test is at the high end of normal. The things that should help pushes me further into stress, i.e elevated blood pressure.
Ah I see! Well high cholesterol usually means high stress, low thyroid activity or a lack of necessary co-factors for the conversion of cholesterol into the sex hormones.
These require the active thyroid hormone (T3), retinol and cholesterol.

Maybe try some topical retinol (like retinylpalmitate drops) on your calves. I can highly recommend researching the fat soluble vitamins A,D3,E,K2- they can definitively make a difference. Do you know your vitamin D status?

Your diet seems very good on paper. Do you feel relatively well on it? Especially in terms of digestion?

OP
P

Peatness

I am replete in all the fat soluble vitamins including D. I have used them orally and topically for years. I eat liver once a week. No, I don't feel well which is why i continue to adjust my diet.

Nemo

Dr Peat says that high free fatty acid in the blood can interfere with thyroid. If that is the case how does one manage to lower cholesterol and fat in general with thyroid supplement if one has high free fatty acid? Taking niacinamide would cause a stress reaction when combined with thyroid (this is my experience). It is also likely this combination might stimulate adrenaline and cause more stress. Is there a way round this? Thiamine’s role in this instance is still unclear to me, though, I continue to supplement with it daily.

Pina, what YoungSinatra said is right. You can bring down the high free fatty acid level in your blood with aspirin and niacinamide, but you have to really guzzle OJ or sugared skim milk while you do it.

Do 25-50 mg niacinamide or 2-3 aspirin every few hours while you're awake. Take every dose of either with 8 ounces of OJ or sugared skim milk. Be sure to eat your regular meals as well and be ready with extra fruit and cheese for snacks. You may need a bigger bedtime snack to get to sleep.

Even a day or two of this and you will see whatever thyroid you've got or are taking seem much stronger. After I did this, I had to cut my thyroid supplement in half.

OP
P

Peatness

Pina, what YoungSinatra said is right. You can bring down the high free fatty acid level in your blood with aspirin and niacinamide, but you have to really guzzle OJ or sugared skim milk while you do it.

Do 25-50 mg niacinamide or 2-3 aspirin every few hours while you're awake. Take every dose of either with 8 ounces of OJ or sugared skim milk. Be sure to eat your regular meals as well and be ready with extra fruit and cheese for snacks. You may need a bigger bedtime snack to get to sleep.

Even a day or two of this and you will see whatever thyroid you've got or are taking seem much stronger. After I did this, I had to cut my thyroid supplement in half.
Thanks. I will try the niacinamide with extra food as suggested. The extra fruit and juice bloats me but will keep trying.
I can't take aspirin with my bp medication.

Nemo

Thanks. I will try the niacinamide with extra food as suggested. The extra fruit and juice bloats me but will keep trying.
I can't take aspirin with my bp medication.

Pina, Ray suggested 25 to 50 mg of niacinamide 2-3 times a day. You might want to hit it with 50 mg 3x a day for a few days. The more you take, the fewer days you need the higher doses.

If extra fruit and juice bloat you, you can take in any type of sugar with it. Like the sweetest coffee or milk you ever drank. Or maybe a couple bites of fruit with extra sugar sprinkled on it.

When you feel your metabolism cranking up so much that you're having trouble eating enough to keep up with it, pull back to normal doses. You'll keep getting the extra kick from thyroid after you pull back.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals