Foster Your Health Podcast - Official Thread

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Very good first podcast.
I like your moderate, well thought out perspective backed up by personal experience.
It's not just a regurgitation of Peat and others.

I had very similar experiences with being hyperthyroid. I think that inadequate cholesterol synthesis is one reason for these symptoms, especially the periodical hypersexuality/ low libido and depression you talked about.

If you first go into the hyperthyroid state your steroid metabolism gets a massive boost, which leads to euphoria, high libido, high mental performance.
But this state can't be sustained despite the increased food supply. The amount of cholesterol in your blood and tissue first acts as a buffer until the concentration drops too low, after which anxiety, depression, bad memory, bad libido etc can follow. Of course this all depends on "how far" you got yourself in the hyperthyroid state. Ray said it would be best to be slightly hyperthyoird. The question remains, what is "slightly".

Have you ever measured your total cholesterol? Mine was already on the low side before I started experimenting with thyroid.
Mine was slightly elevated indicative of mild hypothyroidism with a TSH of around 2-3. I've realized that a lot of the negative effects from thyroid resulted from adrenergic sensitization (which Peat talks about). I've been having great results with pregnenolone to lower pulse, and I'm going to make an episode on this topic, as I think it's key. One really must use pregnenolone with thyroid, and sometimes large doses of pregnenolone (or progesterone) are necessary until the thyroid corrects the neurosteroid deficiency.

You should start a youtube channel
Planning on it!

Horrible. Just long enough to importune for a donation. Clearly you read about hyperthyroidism on WebMD©.
After experiencing similar symptoms, I agree that the symptoms I had stemmed from elevated adrenaline.

Nothing to add- great work dude.
In my experience, one of the best byproducts of hypothyroid recovery was the desire/drive to work creatively. I see you're feeling the same! Keep it up.
Absolutely; pregnenolone and progesterone (and anything that raises those and keeps cortisol down) paired with coffee can do wonders for motivation. I'm still pursuing that "ideal state" of being, but I get closer as times goes on.

In recent months I've only felt creative when highly stressed. So this is very encouraging.

Really great stuff and I understand what you are talking :D !!! I was listening to Peat´s and Haidut´s podcasts but didnt understand well because my bad english.
:hattip
Just listened. Awesome; loved it. Very concise, to the point and helpful! :D

Wondering though @DaveFoster don't you think potential hyperthyroid issues would eventually adjust and be less problematic when one gets most of the pufa out of their system?
The sensitization to adrenaline should go over with time, but many have good results using a drug like clonidine or propranolol in the intermediate term to lower adrenaline. Cyproheptadine can also be used, and I'm finding that pregnenolone probably can as well, and it's by far the safest substance. As PUFA depletes from the tissues, one may find that they respond more readily to thyroid, both the active T3 form, and T4 due to reduced cortisol secretion (from the depleted PUFA) and enhanced conversion in the liver as a result.

Dear Dave:
8afdefc304867d3be13a43fbc4e3e5c1.jpg

:wink

@DaveFoster "hyperthyroidisms effect on mood..." - Labs or it didn't happen......
Right, it was probably adrenaline, but still relevant. I'll make a follow-up episode.

ilikecats

@DaveFoster im actually having similar problems now... but there's definitely some other underlying cause I think. adrenergic sensitization makes sense

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster im actually having similar problems now... but there's definitely some other underlying cause I think. adrenergic sensitization makes sense
Many have success using pregnenolone to lower adrenaline while they adjust to thyroid.

In an e-mail response about propranolol, Dr. Peat advised orange juice and cyproheptadine to lower the adrenaline.

Dobbler

"The sensitization to adrenaline should go over with time, but many have good results using a drug like clonidine or propranolol in the intermediate term to lower adrenaline. Cyproheptadine can also be used, and I'm finding that pregnenolone probably can as well, and it's by far the safest substance. As PUFA depletes from the tissues, one may find that they respond more readily to thyroid, both the active T3 form, and T4 due to reduced cortisol secretion (from the depleted PUFA) and enhanced conversion in the liver as a result."

Whats your recommended PUFA intake? Is very low 1-2g intake required for depletion, or can it happen at 3-4g if SAFA is high (say +70g)? For example yday i had 4.5g PUFA and 77g SAFA. Good podcasts keep it up. :)

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

"The sensitization to adrenaline should go over with time, but many have good results using a drug like clonidine or propranolol in the intermediate term to lower adrenaline. Cyproheptadine can also be used, and I'm finding that pregnenolone probably can as well, and it's by far the safest substance. As PUFA depletes from the tissues, one may find that they respond more readily to thyroid, both the active T3 form, and T4 due to reduced cortisol secretion (from the depleted PUFA) and enhanced conversion in the liver as a result."

Whats your recommended PUFA intake? Is very low 1-2g intake required for depletion, or can it happen at 3-4g if SAFA is high (say +70g)? For example yday i had 4.5g PUFA and 77g SAFA. Good podcasts keep it up. :)
Some depletion can occur at a lower amount, but it will still tend to accumulate in your tissues even at 3-4 g per day, but this is a more "safe," amount. As low as you can go while getting all the recommended nutrients and enjoying your meals.

@DaveFoster What doses of pregnenolone have you found to help adrenaline?
100 mg repeated as needed seems to work well (or maybe even 200 mg repeated as needed). I use pregnenolone in DMSO, so that makes the powder much more economical. I need about 1 to 2 grams daily depending on the amount of stress.

As Dr. Peat has said, the need higher doses of pregnenolone can indicate a thyroid deficiency (similar to progesterone, and pregnenolone partly converts to progesterone). So a higher dose of pregnenolone may be used indefinitely or until enough thyroid is taken, or also until one reduced endotoxin significantly through a minimization of starch and fiber and use of supplements with an antibiotic effect.

Be sure to have plenty of sugar on hand at all times when consuming pregnenolone, as it will powerfully lower blood sugar and provoke anxiety.

Dobbler

Some depletion can occur at a lower amount, but it will still tend to accumulate in your tissues even at 3-4 g per day, but this is a more "safe," amount. As low as you can go while getting all the recommended nutrients and enjoying your meals.

First 21 years of my life i ate heavy amounts of PUFA daily, how can it still accumulate at 4g? I know it can take years to reflect to fatty acid tissue but if u come from "heavier" PUFA backround shouldnt it just get better as the time goes on?
Sorry to bombard you with questions :)

Arnold Grape

100 mg repeated as needed seems to work well (or maybe even 200 mg repeated as needed). I use pregnenolone in DMSO, so that makes the powder much more economical. I need about 1 to 2 grams daily depending on the amount of stress.

As Dr. Peat has said, the need higher doses of pregnenolone can indicate a thyroid deficiency (similar to progesterone, and pregnenolone partly converts to progesterone). So a higher dose of pregnenolone may be used indefinitely or until enough thyroid is taken, or also until one reduced endotoxin significantly through a minimization of starch and fiber and use of supplements with an antibiotic effect.

Does Peat actually ever say Preg at 1-2 grams daily is appropriate?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

First 21 years of my life i ate heavy amounts of PUFA daily, how can it still accumulate at 4g? I know it can take years to reflect to fatty acid tissue but if u come from "heavier" PUFA backround shouldnt it just get better as the time goes on?
Sorry to bombard you with questions :)
If you're young and have a high metabolic rate (and not too much fatty tissue) then you can reduce the amount of PUFA in your tissues fairly rapidly (>4 years), but it will never deplete completely for some fats, such as DHA. As you get older, the ratio shifts more and more in favor of the most unsaturated fats (like DHA), and you get greater interference with your cell's ability to oxidize glucose.

Does Peat actually ever say Preg at 1-2 grams daily is appropriate?
He's said that some people need several hundred milligrams, and he's also said that high doses of pregnenolone are completely safe. He stated that the use of thyroid (and minimization of starch/fiber) can reduce one's need for pregnenolone (for example from 1.5 grams to 300 mg as an arbitrary number).

Dobbler

If you're young and have a high metabolic rate (and not too much fatty tissue) then you can reduce the amount of PUFA in your tissues fairly rapidly (>4 years), but it will never deplete completely for some fats, such as DHA. As you get older, the ratio shifts more and more in favor of the most unsaturated fats (like DHA), and you get greater interference with your cell's ability to oxidize glucose.

He's said that some people need several hundred milligrams, and he's also said that high doses of pregnenolone are completely safe. He stated that the use of thyroid (and minimization of starch/fiber) can reduce one's need for pregnenolone (for example from 1.5 grams to 300 mg as an arbitrary number).
Does this happen even if u keep PUFA extremely low SAFA ratio high (over 80%)?

Regina

Last night I was frustrated and downtrodden. I had to leave the aikido mat and go home because of this recurrent horrible stress response. Racing norepinephrine, low energy, followed by bowel distress. I tilt. Besides being completely embarassing, I am heartbroken about not being able to do aikido anymore.
Anyway, I took 400 mg of pregnenolone (Douglas Laboratories) last night and got really solid sleep and had great relaxed mood all day. Hopefully, I can get my body in enough of a calm state in order to figure out what the heck derangement is happening.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Does this happen even if u keep PUFA extremely low SAFA ratio high (over 80%)?
Yes; it happens more slowly with a lower total fat intake, and also with a lower total PUFA intake.

Last night I was frustrated and downtrodden. I had to leave the aikido mat and go home because of this recurrent horrible stress response. Racing norepinephrine, low energy, followed by bowel distress. I tilt. Besides being completely embarassing, I am heartbroken about not being able to do aikido anymore.
Anyway, I took 400 mg of pregnenolone (Douglas Laboratories) last night and got really solid sleep and had great relaxed mood all day. Hopefully, I can get my body in enough of a calm state in order to figure out what the heck derangement is happening.
Aikido can be very taxing; are you taking thyroid, Regina? Pregnenolone can be taken both before, during, and after aikido, and it can help with preventing the stress response, but one would need to take in a lot of sugar at all times.

Regina

Yes; it happens more slowly with a lower total fat intake, and also with a lower total PUFA intake.

Aikido can be very taxing; are you taking thyroid, Regina? Pregnenolone can be taken both before, during, and after aikido, and it can help with preventing the stress response, but one would need to take in a lot of sugar at all times.
Thx Dave, I keep trying different (unsuccessful) strategies to get back on the mat. I stopped tyronene/tyromix because I thought thyroid might just be making rT3 (slugglish liver??). For a little while, tiny doses of androsterone, pansterone and metergoline were the perfect training blend.
The problem (tilting on the mat) worsened and bloodwork revealed very low iron levels (and hi NE). But very low CRP. I think maybe I have some lung fibrosis from prolonged over-exposure to asbestos or perhaps some heavily protected lung infection. (slight wheezing emerges when I train). I stopped training for 6 wks, taking Dr. Ron's liver w thyroid pills daily w OJ and choosing more iron-rich foods. I decided to start myself on 100mg minocycline day (day 3 today), DeFibron, kuinone...
I really thought I could take class yesterday. Felt strong and ready. I thought I could work out having enough sugar but not too much food (to avoid the tmi bowel distress) close to class time. 1/2 can frozen OJ concentrate and 1 gr inosine 1 hour before class. I put the rest of the frozen OJ concentrate w gerolsteiner in my thermos.
So, the bowel distress, while tmi gross, is really very minute. And more tmi, it has no odor. (it's like a tiny puff of orange liquid :nailbiting:). When the racy NE gets really going in me, (like after 20 or so throws) this bowel leakage occurs. Like when on an airplane, "items may have shifted in transit." And though it amounts to very little after all is said and done, it still prevents me to train. So, even no solid food does not save me from the dreaded POOL (puff of orange liquid). :bucktooth::yuck: :arghh::bigtears:

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Thx Dave, I keep trying different (unsuccessful) strategies to get back on the mat. I stopped tyronene/tyromix because I thought thyroid might just be making rT3 (slugglish liver??). For a little while, tiny doses of androsterone, pansterone and metergoline were the perfect training blend.
The problem (tilting on the mat) worsened and bloodwork revealed very low iron levels (and hi NE). But very low CRP. I think maybe I have some lung fibrosis from prolonged over-exposure to asbestos or perhaps some heavily protected lung infection. (slight wheezing emerges when I train). I stopped training for 6 wks, taking Dr. Ron's liver w thyroid pills daily w OJ and choosing more iron-rich foods. I decided to start myself on 100mg minocycline day (day 3 today), DeFibron, kuinone...
I really thought I could take class yesterday. Felt strong and ready. I thought I could work out having enough sugar but not too much food (to avoid the tmi bowel distress) close to class time. 1/2 can frozen OJ concentrate and 1 gr inosine 1 hour before class. I put the rest of the frozen OJ concentrate w gerolsteiner in my thermos.
So, the bowel distress, while tmi gross, is really very minute. And more tmi, it has no odor. (it's like a tiny puff of orange liquid :nailbiting:). When the racy NE gets really going in me, (like after 20 or so throws) this bowel leakage occurs. Like when on an airplane, "items may have shifted in transit." And though it amounts to very little after all is said and done, it still prevents me to train. So, even no solid food does not save me from the dreaded POOL (puff of orange liquid). :bucktooth::yuck: :arghh::bigtears:
Frozen OJ can definitely cause bowel problems. It sounds like the activity is irritating the gut and leading to more serotonin, hence the quick transit. Maybe activated charcoal could help; pregnenolone would lower serotonin (and thyroid of course), and aspirin tends to increase the stomach's resistance to irritants, but it would take some time to "work," and exercise tends to increase sensitivity to aspirin.

Regina

Frozen OJ can definitely cause bowel problems. It sounds like the activity is irritating the gut and leading to more serotonin, hence the quick transit. Maybe activated charcoal could help; pregnenolone would lower serotonin (and thyroid of course), and aspirin tends to increase the stomach's resistance to irritants, but it would take some time to "work," and exercise tends to increase sensitivity to aspirin.
Yep. And I am chicken n egg with the iron thing. Stop all Peating and load up on iron until constipated:banghead:. Or take mino/charcoal/carrot/cypro/aspirin to keep intestine clean but become an anemic zombie :banghead:.
Thx for your thoughts!

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Yep. And I am chicken n egg with the iron thing. Stop all Peating and load up on iron until constipated:banghead:. Or take mino/charcoal/carrot/cypro/aspirin to keep intestine clean but become an anemic zombie :banghead:.
Thx for your thoughts!
If it's any consolation, vitamin C doesn't affect heme iron absorption: Peatarian Reviews: Neither coffee, milk or vitamin C affects heme-iron absorption from meats

So, you could take meat, liver, glandulars and so forth without orange juice and absorb the iron just fine if the OJ causes you problems.

Regina

Dobbler

Yes; it happens more slowly with a lower total fat intake, and also with a lower total PUFA intake..

Damn so its unavoidable ... i was at conclusion that longer you keep SAFA / PUFA ratio high, the better it reflects to your fatty acid composition and metabolism... ****

Lurker

Are you planning on getting the podcast out on the bigger feeds like iTunes, Stitcher(whatever Androids use), or YouTube? I'm not sure the logistics but that's where the people are.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals