Forums, Websites, Blogs Where They Are Discussing Ray Peat

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am starting this thread to place links where they are discussing Ray Peat. Anytime I see a new place where they are talking about Ray Peat and his philosophies I will add it to this thread. If you see any discussions going on, please add your links!

I will start it off, emla is doing a fine job of presenting Ray Peat and holding up well to the backlash that is usually seen in these situations:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb ... c/1/122335

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

frustrated

Re: Forums, Websites, Blogs Where They Are Discussing Ray Pe

Lol. This is why Peat's recommendations are never going to take off. He says too many things that seem weird, if not insane, when the context isn't properly communicated ( by enthusiastic devotees).

J

j.

frustrated said:
Lol. This is why Peat's recommendations are never going to take off. He says too many things that seem weird, if not insane, when the context isn't properly communicated ( by enthusiastic devotees).

I bet the opposite will happen. I bet in 10 years at most it will be recommended by physicians to limit PUFA and try to eat more saturated fats.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Yep, I think so too J.

The paradigm shift has started.

frustrated

j. said:
frustrated said:

I bet the opposite will happen. I bet in 10 years at most it will be recommended by physicians to limit PUFA and try to eat more saturated fats.

Too bad we can't actually bet money on it :mrgreen:

HollyLooyah

There is a Fans of Ray Peat group on FB (Ray Peat Fans) . I have joined them (but they have some peculiar discussions there I must say).

HollyLooyah

@ gretchen - Girl, you were just making lots and lots of friends weren't you? At least you tried!

J

j.

I think gretchen made some great posts in that fish oil thread. Both her personal story and how she discovered Ray Peat and noting what oils different celebrities took and what were the consequences.

frustrated said:
Bingo.

Charlie said:
Yep, I think so too J.

The paradigm shift has started.
Hope this isn't serious.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Dorito Loyalist said:
Hope this isn't serious.

Attachments

• serious_cat.jpg
    serious_cat.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 984

frustrated

Charlie said:
Dorito Loyalist said:
Hope this isn't serious.

PUFA avoidance is never going to take off because almost all the evidence against them are from animal models. Why do you think Alan Aragon was laughing so hard at the idea? Most of the human trials comparing sat fat to pufa certainly aren't damning of the stuff either. To test what Ray is saying, you'd need people, e.g., diabetics, to go on near efa deficient diet for at least two years and see what happens -- that's expensive and does not have the political backing to happen.

People here are sure pufa avoidance improved their health, but that's really not known. Almost everyone here jumped on a high milk/fruit/gelatin diet at the same time they started avoiding pufa, so it could just be the former that offer the improvements.

J

j.

frustrated said:
People here are sure pufa avoidance improved their health, but that's really not known. Almost everyone here jumped on a high milk/fruit/gelatin diet at the same time they started avoiding pufa, so it could just be the former that offer the improvements.

I had like 7 symptoms disappeared after 3 months of just switching from margarine to butter, and from frying beef with PUFA to frying it with butter. I incorporated the other aspects of the diet later, such as avoiding grains and drinking more milk, only after these main symptoms were cured.

Ray Peat ideas will be popular mainly because they are correct, and secondly because of the existence of the internet. I think we are at the point where we reached the critical mass necessary to make it impossible to stop the spread of his ideas.

Also, I doubt people tried all of Ray Peat's diet advice at once. I had no reason to trust him before I tried his first recommendation (PUFA avoidance). Three months later, after seeing positive results, I decided to read more about him.

Asimov

frustrated said:
Charlie said:
Dorito Loyalist said:
Hope this isn't serious.

PUFA avoidance is never going to take off because almost all the evidence against them are from animal models. Why do you think Alan Aragon was laughing so hard at the idea? Most of the human trials comparing sat fat to pufa certainly aren't damning of the stuff either. To test what Ray is saying, you'd need people, e.g., diabetics, to go on near efa deficient diet for at least two years and see what happens -- that's expensive and does not have the political backing to happen.

I can speak to the exact opposite side of the spectrum. I learned about peat WELL after my research I got into a low PUFA diet (mostly inspired by Peter over at hyperlipid...Peat certainly isn't the only insanely intelligent, highly qualified biological researcher to support high saturated fat diets).

Peat came well after. I can definitely say that avoiding PUFA has done more for my health and overall feeling of wellness than anything I've done in the past decade. Sugar, fruit, gelatin, milk have all been pretty meh by comparison.

I think Alan Aragon laughing so hard was frankly because Alan Aragon is a troll who has made his name off insulting other's research while contributing none of his own. There's thousands of studies, tons of biological plausibility, and more than enough n-1 data to support the idea that sat fat>unsaturated fat. If you choose not to believe it, that's fine. Everyone's free to do what they wish to their body.