Forums, Websites, Blogs Where They Are Discussing Ray Peat

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Forums, Websites, Blogs Where They Are Discussing Ray Pe

Pretty cool avatar you got there, Jellyfish. :)

Thanks for that link. Will read the thread when I have a bit more time.

Jellyfish

Charlie said:
Pretty cool avatar you got there, Jellyfish. :)

Thanks for that link. Will read the thread when I have a bit more time.
Thanks, Charlie :D

gretchen

On Skin Care Board Ray has once again been reduced to just one guy with an opinion. Long live omega-3!

BingDing

I found a site a good while back, a woman practitioner in Australia IIRC, who was right down Peat alley. Anyone know what that is or have a link. I can't think of a single key word. TIA

J

j.

In this site, they're refusing to consider any of Ray Peat's ideas because they believe that Peat avoids veggies because they have high PUFA. Then they point out that it's ridiculous to do that because veggies have little fat in general. Of course, Peat doesn't avoid veggies due to PUFA, but nobody there knows that, so they ridicule him on that point for three pages.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/membe ... hp?t=43033

frustrated

j. said:
In this site, they're refusing to consider any of Ray Peat's ideas because they believe that Peat avoids veggies because they have high PUFA. Then they point out that it's ridiculous to do that because veggies have little fat in general. Of course, Peat doesn't avoid veggies due to PUFA, but nobody there knows that, so they ridicule him on that point for three pages.

Idiots.

burtlancast

Re: Isadora's New Website!

I have seen my messages being "hidden" from sight, entire conversations hacked and deprived of context and then I even found myself banned without any warning and for no other reason than the peace of mind of the said administrator -- all because I was arguing that the place needs better organization.

She was doing much more than that....

Not cool, Isadora.... :cry:

And i wonder...she seems a freshman when it comes to alternative medecine....
I very much doubt she has read all Peat's material...

But all of a sudden she's an "authority" on Peat ?

BingDing

j. said:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/membe ... hp?t=43033

Just to play the devils advocate, I'm pretty sure RP has said to avoid vegetables because of PUFAs, probably a result of speaking extemporaneously. You just have to know he means seed oils, not a head of iceburg lettuce. I thought that forum was the average mix of good faith and simple mindedness. The guy who was happy he learned to like raw broccoli is on the wrong path.

jyb

Isn't cooked carrots or carrots juice, which are high in beta-carotene, an issue related to PUFAs? I remember reading that excess carotene, just like excess retinol, was anti-thyroid due to unsaturation of something.

BingDing

jyb, correct, beta carotene tends to oxidize because it is unsaturated, even though it's not a fat. I'm not sure if it starts a chain reaction of free radical formation like PUFAs.

Jenn, I'll take your word that iceberg lettuce is estrogenic. Nutrition Data says a large head of iceberg lettuce (755g) has .6g of PUFA, about the same as a cup of whole milk, .5g. Per 100g of food, milk has twice as much PUFA as lettuce. I agree with that other forum that it is trivial, at least for a healthy person. Though ten servings a day may not be trivial.

Interestingly, 100g of both the lettuce and potatoes have .1g fat, all the lettuce is PUFA but ND doesn't specify what the potato is.

1, 2, 3

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

You got to look at the entire picture of what Ray Peat says are the reasons that above ground vegetables are toxic to us. Above ground plants make natural(natural isn't always good for us) pesticides to protect themselves from predators(is that the right word?). It's these chemicals/toxins that are not good for us including PUFA which is one of the toxins. So when we single out PUFA as the main cause of damage from us eating vegetables and why you should avoid them. We are disregarding the complete picture and also making it harder for us to get the point across as to why Ray Peat believes above ground vegetables should be avoided. Plants are also a major source of allergens and have many metabolic inhibitors.

Ray Peat said:
The toxins of plants include phenols, tannins, lectins/agglutinins, and trypsin-inhibitors, besides innumerable more specific metabolic inhibitors, including “anti-vitamins.” Unsaturated fats themselves are important defenses, since they inhibit trypsin and other proteolytic enzymes, preventing the assimilation of the proteins that are present in seeds and leaves, and disrupting all biological processes that depend on protein breakdown, such as the formation of thyroid hormone and the removal of blood clots.

Generally, fruits, roots, and tubers provide a high concentration of nutrients along with low concentrations of toxic antimetabolic substances.

Ray Peat said:
Besides their specific defensive toxins and antimetabolites, plants are major sources of allergens. The allergenicity of a food depends on the sensitivity of the individual, as well as on the growth conditions of the plant. The use of extremely toxic pesticides has affected both the crops and the sensitivity of the human population to allergens. Sensitivities induced originally by toxic pesticides used on certain crops can probably persist after the industrial chemical has been eliminated, because the immune system is susceptible to “conditioning.”

Ray Peat said:
Many types of phytochemicals are mutagenic, and some of those are carcinogenic.

Source for above quotes.

Laying it out this way in an argument, phytochemicals, toxins, pesticides, allergens, antimetabolic....might be a more effective way at getting the point across as to why Ray Peat thinks above ground vegetables are better avoided.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals