forum suggestion - diet list accessible by hovering mouse over users

pro marker

one of the most common comments i see on this forum is "what are you eating" "what does your diet look like" or something of that nature.
my suggestion is a "diet list" that users can fill out on their profile. that way, before comments about foods and supplements have to be made, users can read this diet/lifestyle list before posting advice. i would like to add things such as chronic issues and height and weight for people to see when i ask for advice. since most find reading a list written vertically much easier than one written horizontally, i recommend that this list or box of text is programmed to pop up when you hover your cursor over a users pofile picture or name.

example:

"2l skimmed milk, 3 quarts oj, 5 tbs great lakes gelatin, 2 mangoes, dates, white rice, homemade sourdough bread, handful of strawberries, coke, x amount vitamin d, x amount pregnenolone, x amount methylene blue"

is much harder to read than

"2l skimmed milk
3 quarts oj
5 tbs great lakes gelatin
2 mangoes
dates
white rice
homemade sourdough bread
handful or strawberries
coke

x amount d vitamin
x amount pregnenolone
x amount methylene blue"

however, this^ would be to intrusive and take up to much space in your quote (the space under your posts)

this would make threads more to the point, "no need for do you drink milk?" posts every time someone says upping their carbs is causing acne, and i also think people would find it very interesting to see what other users diets look like. it would also help us form a pattern, seeing what foods are common in people with similar issues. often when seeing someone with similar issues having resolved their problems im curious what their current diet is like.

mostlylurking

one of the most common comments i see on this forum is "what are you eating" "what does your diet look like" or something of that nature.
my suggestion is a "diet list" that users can fill out on their profile. that way, before comments about foods and supplements have to be made, users can read this diet/lifestyle list before posting advice. i would like to add things such as chronic issues and height and weight for people to see when i ask for advice. since most find reading a list written vertically much easier than one written horizontally, i recommend that this list or box of text is programmed to pop up when you hover your cursor over a users pofile picture or name.
Too intrusive. Most new people would not sign on. They come here to learn. Everybody comes here to learn. The questions regarding "what do you eat" are great opening lines for good discussion and learning.

It would be more useful to guide people to all things Ray Peat regarding diet choices. Then discussion regarding the Why of these ideas could occur.

schultz

It's a neat idea but the problem is I change my diet seasonally, or even on a whim. I'm consistent with certain things but add or remove other things frequently. If I can get good atemoyas or mangoes then I'll eat a couple of those everyday, otherwise I may just use OJ or even some starch.

OP
P

pro marker

Too intrusive. Most new people would not sign on. They come here to learn. Everybody comes here to learn. The questions regarding "what do you eat" are great opening lines for good discussion and learning.

It would be more useful to guide people to all things Ray Peat regarding diet choices. Then discussion regarding the Why of these ideas could occur.
id argue new people would learn more seeing what people are eating rather than just guessing based on posts.

It's a neat idea but the problem is I change my diet seasonally, or even on a whim. I'm consistent with certain things but add or remove other things frequently. If I can get good atemoyas or mangoes then I'll eat a couple of those everyday, otherwise I may just use OJ or even some starch.
well obviously you would update your list whenever you change up your diet.

schultz

id argue new people would learn more seeing what people are eating rather than just guessing based on posts.

well obviously you would update your list whenever you change up your diet.

It might change from day to day...

Maybe I'm overthinking this? lol

OP
P

pro marker

It might change from day to day...

Maybe I'm overthinking this? lol
yeah, if your list says milk, oj, canned oysters and potatoes, and you make a thread saying "ive recently started eating peaches and my hairloss has stopped", i think people are gonna get the idea.

yerrag

Many people who have found a good nutrition lifestyle which they feel works would not likely change what works.

If they have success with it, and talk about it, then people would be curious, and would want to know what they eat.

People are not looking for diets that are still work in progress, so there is no need for everyone to share what does. not work well. No one will care to look at what they eat.

So this is not the case of forcing everyone to share their food lifestyle. It is for those who have felt they have improved a lot and resolved many issues in living a certain lifestyle of healthful eating, and who would like to share that lifestyle with members interested.

If that lifestyle involves some seasonal variation, that would be included. It does not mean that person would be updating what he's eating each and every season that comes and goes.

OP
P

pro marker

Many people who have found a good nutrition lifestyle which they feel works would not likely change what works.

If they have success with it, and talk about it, then people would be curious, and would want to know what they eat.

People are not looking for diets that are still work in progress, so there is no need for everyone to share what does. not work well. No one will care to look at what they eat.

So this is not the case of forcing everyone to share their food lifestyle. It is for those who have felt they have improved a lot and resolved many issues in living a certain lifestyle of healthful eating, and who would like to share that lifestyle with members interested.

If that lifestyle involves some seasonal variation, that would be included. It does not mean that person would be updating what he's eating each and every season that comes and goes.

thank you this is what i meant to say

schultz

I see. So maybe it's better for people who eat a basic and consistent diet? My health is great, but I just like to change it up for fun. I drink several lattes throughout the day, so that is always the same, but it's the other stuff I am constantly changing. It's not because I am sick and I am trying to figure things out. I just enjoy changing what I eat. For the most part it has to do with the seasons. I like warm starch in the winter more than in the summer for example. Or maybe I get the motivation to make bread and eat toast with eggs everyday for a month or two. I don't know. I like cooking, I like food and I like to try new things. I just do this with the basic understanding that there are certain things to be wary of (PUFA, gums, added iron, etc.)

I still think it's a good idea though. I wasn't saying I didn't like the idea.

I like this idea too