Forcing down gelatin - bad idea?

FredSonoma

Recently I really don't feel like eating gelatin - I make mine home made, from organic grass-fed beef knuckle bones from a local farm. However, over the past couple days, I feel a slight aversion to it. I want to just eat some eggs or some cod without any dam bone broth. I know gelatin is supposed to be super important for many reasons - should I just keep forcing it down? Or should I listen to my body?

Makrosky

Very bad idea to not listen to your body.

By the way, I just developed diarrhea from gelatin. Started using it last week, it kind of softened my stools but I wasn't sure it was because of that. Now it's very very soft. I almost never in my life had diarrhea or very soft stools so I think it's the gelatin 100% sure.

It's a shame because it works very good. Glycine can cause diarrhea also.

DAMN!

But it's bone broth. Grass-fed local homemade bone broth.

Makrosky

Such_Saturation said:

yes man, that's the healthiest solution, but it's quite a pain in the **** to keep buying, cooking, storing, etc. week after week.

Which bones do you use btw ??

Makrosky said:
Such_Saturation said:

yes man, that's the healthiest solution, but it's quite a pain in the **** to keep cooking that week after week.

I don't have any. But switching to glycine, kind of spitting in the eye of good luck, don't you think?

Makrosky

Such_Saturation said:
Makrosky said:
Such_Saturation said:

yes man, that's the healthiest solution, but it's quite a pain in the **** to keep cooking that week after week.

I don't have any. But switching to glycine, kind of spitting in the eye of good luck, don't you think?

Yeah definitely I'll give it a try.

FredSonoma said:
Recently I really don't feel like eating gelatin - I make mine home made, from organic grass-fed beef knuckle bones from a local farm. However, over the past couple days, I feel a slight aversion to it. I want to just eat some eggs or some cod without any dam bone broth. I know gelatin is supposed to be super important for many reasons - should I just keep forcing it down? Or should I listen to my body?

Force it down and ignore your body.

No one screams with joy at the thought of eating grass fed liver either.

I think liver made in butter tastes quite nice!

Xisca

When this is something you did like,
listen to your body.
Thus it will be more temporary.

The problem is different when it is a new food you are not used to.
In this case, also listen to your body,
but find a way to convince it!

Listening to your body is not all or nothiing.
Discuss with it and see the changes.
Like, "ok, you do not like this, please have a try and let's see after a while if you change your "mind"!

When I come to a point "Eat your dessert if you want the salad".....
then I know that this is just enough sugar for the moment...

Giraffe

I have not managed yet to make a really jelly-like gelatine out of bones. What I get is a gelatinous broth. This broth I use to cook vegetables or meat and to prepare sauce or soup. Sometimes I add a bit of commercial gelatine plus meat, eggs, vegetables, feta-cheese, fruits to make a spicy jelly that I can take with me when I go out. If I tried to drink broth everyday I would get tired of it pretty soon.

cantstoppeating said:
FredSonoma said:

Force it down and ignore your body.

No one screams with joy at the thought of eating grass fed liver either.

Troll is back. It's well known that liver tastes great to some people. Maybe these people crave it for what it has (myself included)?

That is likely, I do enjoy it less now, after months of eating it.

tara

I still feel joy eating grass-fed beef liver, and soup made with broth most days. If they tasted bad to me, I'd try variations to see if I could find a way I liked, but I wouldn't keep forcing it for a long time if it tasted bad. I like Xisca's idea - consider trying it for a bit and see if I cange my mind.

jyb

Giraffe said:
I have not managed yet to make a really jelly-like gelatine out of bones. What I get is a gelatinous broth. This broth I use to cook vegetables or meat and to prepare sauce or soup. Sometimes I add a bit of commercial gelatine plus meat, eggs, vegetables, feta-cheese, fruits to make a spicy jelly that I can take with me when I go out. If I tried to drink broth everyday I would get tired of it pretty soon.

I haven't managed to get really jelly beef bone broth either, I use a slow cooker. This indicates to me that there isn't lots of gelatin, because if I use powdered gelatin it gets jelly very easily. I'm starting to think the only practical way is to get a pressure cooker or to use chicken skin and bones.

Dutchie

FredSonoma said:

If you feel a sligth aversion and want to just eat eggs or Cod by itself,then just do so.
Yes,gelatin is deemed as a health food but that doesn't automatically mean that you must eat it in order to be(come) healthy. Cod for instance has quite some glycine and other favorable amino acids too.
Nuts are labelled as a healthfood too.....yet no one here jumps on the bandwagon of eating nuts,so personally it makes no sense to me that some keep trying to talk you into giving gelatin 'another go' or that you should get used to it or whatever....
Every food has it's pro's and cons.....figure out what works for you and what you feel like eating and makes you feel good.

Peata

The only time I craved liver was when I went through that blood donation ordeal a couple years back. After that I craved liver for two days. And then it went back to tasting bad to me.

However, I still make it now and then in a way that tastes passable to me - lightly coat with flour, fry in coconut oil with onions. Finish with butter, a ton of salt, pepper.

As for gelatin powder, it started to become unappetizing for me to use. It seemed to hurt my stomach as well. I have been using glycine capsules for 3 months or so, taking one when I have meat or when I think something might irritate my stomach (aspirin). So I usually end up taking at least one per day, sometimes 3 - 4.

mt_dreams

Liver fresh or freshly frozen, then cooked lightly will have very little smell or taste. If you leave it in your fridge for more than a day, then you'll have to battle to get it down. Also if you have access to liver fed only milk, it's heavenly.

Regarding the gelatin issue, have you tried buying the powder? It might be good for times when you can't down the broth. You can make jello or pudding (panna cotta is my fav), or use the hydrolyzed stuff and just put it in whatever liquid you prefer.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Peata said:
The only time I craved liver was when I went through that blood donation ordeal a couple years back. After that I craved liver for two days. And then it went back to tasting bad to me.

However, I still make it now and then in a way that tastes passable to me - lightly coat with flour, fry in coconut oil with onions. Finish with butter, a ton of salt, pepper.

As for gelatin powder, it started to become unappetizing for me to use. It seemed to hurt my stomach as well. I have been using glycine capsules for 3 months or so, taking one when I have meat or when I think something might irritate my stomach (aspirin). So I usually end up taking at least one per day, sometimes 3 - 4.

What blood donation ordeal? were you forced to donate blood or doing it for health reasons?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals