Foraging Wild Foods

KyrieEleison

I forage a lot and I'm interested in knowing if anyone or Ray has anything to say about wild foods not normally found in shops and any special beneficial effects. For example i know about hawthorn berries being a vaso dilator and thus good for circulation. I live in england.

biffbelvin

I haven't seen anything about foraging from Ray so doubt he's written anything on the effects of foraged English plants.

You're best bet is to look into what foraging communities aree saying. I'm sure that if there are no contemporary studies on a plant, there'll be some 'traditional knowledge' to dissect.

Don't forget to view the really bold claims with a critical eye. Bear in mind that many of Ray Peat's principles do run contrary to conventional knowledge as well as many alternative health circles. What might be regarded by foraging communities as positive could be considered negative through a Peat lens. (eg. peat would probably recommend limiting uncooked greens).

OP
K

KyrieEleison

I haven't seen anything about foraging from Ray so doubt he's written anything on the effects of foraged English plants.

You're best bet is to look into what foraging communities aree saying. I'm sure that if there are no contemporary studies on a plant, there'll be some 'traditional knowledge' to dissect.

Don't forget to view the really bold claims with a critical eye. Bear in mind that many of Ray Peat's principles do run contrary to conventional knowledge as well as many alternative health circles. What might be regarded by foraging communities as positive could be considered negative through a Peat lens. (eg. peat would probably recommend limiting uncooked greens).

I think there may be snippets because he of course always touts aspirin which is just white willow bark. Traditional knowledge does seem the best bet as i can imagine a lot of the foragers as you say talk about greens and other garbage being good for you and full of omega.

I tend to focus on fruits for this reason but traditional herbal remedies do interest me. As well as things like pine pollen for dht.

tara

I figure widening the range of foods (species) we eat gives us a better chance at getting all the minerals etc we need and avoiding deficiencies. Some foraging might help with that. Also good to consider the ground where things grow and the likelihood of soil or air contamination.

Personally, I've eaten some wilding plants from time to time for variety. But I know some of these plants are poisoned as weeds in some places, and also that along the edge of busy roads and old houses the soil can retain lead from petrol and paint for a long time., and where I am timber is treated with arsenic.

LeeLemonoil

Overlooked but easily available, nutrient-loaded foods are fresh tree leafes in April and May.
Smaller portions every now and then into regular green salads.

OP
K

KyrieEleison

I figure widening the range of foods (species) we eat gives us a better chance at getting all the minerals etc we need and avoiding deficiencies. Some foraging might help with that. Also good to consider the ground where things grow and the likelihood of soil or air contamination.

Personally, I've eaten some wilding plants from time to time for variety. But I know some of these plants are poisoned as weeds in some places, and also that along the edge of busy roads and old houses the soil can retain lead from petrol and paint for a long time., and where I am timber is treated with arsenic.

I read a study on here that fruits only retain 1% of contaminants that are in the soil and thus are probably safe to eat even in polluted zones. Washing the fruit gets rid of air pollutants. Its the other parts of the tree that retain the rest of the chemicals. So best to avoid things like leaves.

OP
K

KyrieEleison

Overlooked but easily available, nutrient-loaded foods are fresh tree leafes in April and May.
Smaller portions every now and then into regular green salads.

A very easy cheap way of getting nutrient broths i imagine. Pine, nettle and hawthorn leaves come to mind. As well as primrose, wild garlic and others. Do you know of good common tree leaves to harvest? Can most leaves be used to make broths?

LeeLemonoil

Leaves of beech are edible as long as they are very green and fresh, April-maybe mid-June. Slightly sour.

Linden leaves are mild and even sweetish early on.
Fresh shoots of spruce and fir and some pines are suitable.

Lots of info on edible leaves to be found in literature and the Internet