For Weight Training Would Super Set Or Pyramid Training Be Better Then Regular Training?

biggirlkisss

for weight training would super set or pyramid training be better then regular training?

JoeKool

Both have merits and uses... just depends on your goals...

super sets are good for getting the heart rate up but many times you're using lighter weight than you normally could go on the 2nd set... still, failure is failure but the amount of muscle fibers activated is less

Pyramid'ing up to heavier weight, still to failure, typically is used for mass building as it activates deeper muscle fibers... still must go to failure tho...

All the professionals ensure a serious FLEX/CONTRACTION on every rep... really get the blood in there, almost cramping the muscle ... and ensure you're focusing and flexing the muscle you're training...

but switching between the two types of workouts can keep the body constantly guessing...which certainly triggers growth and strength... so week 1, workout A is pyramid and week 2 , workout A is supersets ...

I built mass on low reps , compound movements , for several solid years... probably went too far and caused injuries... today I do higher reps to maintain ...

SolidSteele

Different tools for different jobs. Free weights require greater activation of your smaller stabiliser muscles and greater refined movement patterns. The rigid nature of machines allows a greater recruiter of the larger muscles in a safer environment.

If your aim is size I'd use both. Free weights first then finish of the muscles with machines. If just going for performance I'd stick with the free weights mostly.

David90

for weight training would super set or pyramid training be better then regular training?
If i could choose, i would do straight sets or REVERSE Pyramid Training. But i explain it shortly.....

Progressive Overload is one of the Key Driver for Muscle Building. Progressivly Overloading the Muscles (More Weight, More Reps) should be the Main Goal.

Super Sets are all about Fatiguing the Muscles and Saving Workout Time. It is also a Intensity Technique, so one should use them Wisely and not too often. Intensity Techniques have the Disadvantage of Fatiguing the Muscles, which can be good for Isolation Exercises or smaller Muscle Groups. Example would be like going from Cable Triceps Pushdown directly to Cable Curls near the End of the Workout. But i would strongly advise it, to NOT use it on Compound Exercises, since their goal should be to get Stronger/Better on them.

Pyramid Training is going from Light to Heavy. Problem here is, that by Set 3 or 4 you're getting Fatiguted early, which could be also not ideal. Since the Goal should be to adding more Weight or Reps.

Straight Sets or Reverse Pyramid Training are IMO better, since after 2 Warm Up Sets, you are going mostly Fresh into your Working Sets which is also better for Progressivly Overloading the Muscles.

Example would be:

Reverse Pyramid / Bench Press:
- 2-Warm Up Sets
-Set 1 (Heavy Weight for 5-7 Reps)
-Set 2 (Moderate Weight for 6-8 Reps)
-Set 3 (Moderate to Light Weight for 8-10 Reps)

You see, you do your Heavyest Working Set first and going a bit lighter (-10 to 15% Decrease in Weight) after each set. Because of this Setup, it also ups the Intensity a bit.

Also Straight Sets as an Alternative is quite good, since you move the Same Working Weight each set (also after 2 Warm Up Sets of Course).

Example Would be:

Straight Sets / Bench Press
-2 Warm Up Sets
-Set 1 (Heavy Weight for 5-7 Reps)
-Set 2 (Heavy Weight for 5-7 Reps)
-Set 3 (Heavy Weight for 5-7 Reps)

You do your Same Weights each set, which means you are moving more Weight over Time, which also is one Way to reach the ''Progressivly Overload'' Goal.

The Reason why i say 5 Reps Minimum is, that the Weight should be Heavy Enough, that you get at least 5 Reps with it (Leaving 0,5 or 1 Rep in the Tank). So the Muscle are sufficently Stimulated. Of Course someone can go lower then 5 Reps, but i would only advise that, if only pure Strength Building is the Goal.

Also Resting Times are Important. For Compound Exercises i would do 3-4 Minutes Pause (in Between Sets AND Exercises) and 1 to 1,5 Minutes on Isolation Exercises.