For Those Who Noticed Hair Loss With Vitamin K2 MK4

BehcetsBoy

Just a few questions to try to get the bottom of why k2 mk4 might cause hair loss.

1) What dosage of k2 MK4 were you taking?

2) Were you taking a D3 supplement as well and if so, what dosage? (Including dairy milk which is fortified with D3 in North America)

3) How much calcium would you estimate you were getting at the time either from food or supplements.

Thanks.

Jamesu

Just a few questions to try to get the bottom of why k2 mk4 might cause hair loss.

2) Were you taking a D3 supplement as well and if so, what dosage? (Including dairy milk which is fortified with D3 in North America)

3) How much calcium would you estimate you were getting at the time either from food or supplements.

Thanks.
1) 60 mg doses

2) 8,000 in of D3 + plenty of sun

3) I assume around 500 mg of calcium based on the amount of milk I drink.

baccheion

I didn't notice any hair loss.

60,000 IU D3, 15 mg MK-4 2x/day, 600 mg magnesium (includes 400 mg chelated/supplemented), and ~150-200 mg calcium. Followed that for 1-2 years.

OP
B

BehcetsBoy

I already posted why it causes hairloss. K2 inhibits pge2

That could be possible but my theory is that the dosage a lot of people are taking on here is just way too high. I get strong effects when I take 100mcg of MK4.

Theres people taking 45mg or 60mg which is 600x times that. That's probably why they are getting negative effects like hairloss because obviously getting real k2 MK4 in nature would be good for you and probably not cause hairloss.

ddjd

I wonder if taking high dose taurine alongside the mk4 would counteract the MPB effects

tankasnowgod

Theres people taking 45mg or 60mg which is 600x times that. That's probably why they are getting negative effects like hairloss because obviously getting real k2 MK4 in nature would be good for you and probably not cause hairloss.

FWIW, I took 45 mg of K2 for a few months, and never noticed any effect on hair. Hair loss has never been an issue for me.

Nowadays, I usually take 15 mg of K2. Relentless improvement brand.

For like the last decade, I have taken at least 1 mg of K2 a day (almost every day), and experimented with higher dosages from 5, 15, to 45 mg a day. Never any noticeable negative effects, and very positive ones overall.

lvysaur

That could be possible but my theory is that the dosage a lot of people are taking on here is just way too high. I get strong effects when I take 100mcg of MK4.
Can't speak for hair loss, but I'm the same. The effects of just 1 mg of K2 are immediate and obvious. I never felt the need to take more than 3 mg of K2 in a day. I've just never done it.

Thanks.

1) No more than 3 mg
2) Vitamin D makes it worse as well, noticeable at anything above 2000 IU.
3) >1g

I believe it is either what someone above mentioned, inhibiting PGE2 (and consequently aromatase) or 17b-HSD causing reduction of estradiol:

K2 MK7 has the opposite effect, it seems to be anti 5-AR and helps hair. However I cannot take the recommended dose (200 mcg) due to getting chest pain and shortness of breath. At 100 mcg I'm fine.

K2 MK4 in higher doses was also bad for me, I had random pains in bones and joints. If I keep it under 4 mg then it's fine.

GorillaHead

Did you find a way to reverse the hairloss caused by aspirin and mk4? Or did stopping taking it help with hair quality
When i posted my response i was naive and ignorant of the complexities of the human body. If you notice hairloss from k2 perhaps its a vitamin D deficiency.

serling78

So is D3 thought to help curb the K2 induced hairloss or add to it? Not clear on that.

I take:
5mg kuinone (1 drop. Would like to lessen the dose but can't really divide up a tiny drop)

2000 IU D3 (recently upped from 1000. Now wondering if that was a bad idea)

900 MG calcium (recently upped it. Was around 300 MG. Lactose intolerant here... )

400 MG magnesium

I've had a slowly receding hairline for a couple years but in the past month or so it's really accelerated on the K2. Just running my hand through my hair for 10-15 seconds results in 20 or so fallen hairs. Only reason I'm still using the K2 is because it's the only thing I can find to help my low libido. And I've tried everything over the past decade. But I also don't want to go bald, which isn't looking that far off at this point.

It would be nice if someone had some clear cut answers but everything seems to be anecdotal and vary wildly by individual.

I'm trying to up my calcium, thinking that will help my hair. And I had thought the same about the D3 but now I don't know.

Nebula

So is D3 thought to help curb the K2 induced hairloss or add to it? Not clear on that.

I take:
5mg kuinone (1 drop. Would like to lessen the dose but can't really divide up a tiny drop)

2000 IU D3 (recently upped from 1000. Now wondering if that was a bad idea)

900 MG calcium (recently upped it. Was around 300 MG. Lactose intolerant here... )

400 MG magnesium

I've had a slowly receding hairline for a couple years but in the past month or so it's really accelerated on the K2. Just running my hand through my hair for 10-15 seconds results in 20 or so fallen hairs. Only reason I'm still using the K2 is because it's the only thing I can find to help my low libido. And I've tried everything over the past decade. But I also don't want to go bald, which isn't looking that far off at this point.

It would be nice if someone had some clear cut answers but everything seems to be anecdotal and vary wildly by individual.

I'm trying to up my calcium, thinking that will help my hair. And I had thought the same about the D3 but now I don't know.
I’ve had diffuse hair loss over the last couple years. I never connected it to K2 but I wonder if it did play a role. I thought it was from general stress. In my case I think it was far to little calcium and calories. It seems like an extra stressful combo with high dose K2, which is maybe a lot lower than many of us thought. 1mg daily is already several times higher than is possible through diet. I’m going to up my calcium to 2 grams daily and try less than 0.5 mg K2.

Last edited:

southcesar

What is the final verdict? MK7 helps with hair loss? Where I live I only find vitamin K2-MK7 (146 mcg per capsule) it's a pain in the ***.

Waynish

Both antibiotics and k2 have similar hairloss profiles in my experience. Ray says K2 shares other features with antibiotics - despite the fact that antibiotics supposedly damage K production. And people who don't suffer MPB to any degree probably won't notice. The effect is swelling of the head either from sebum, bone growth, or both. Many notice increased dandruff from k2 & antibiotics.

Dr. B

Both antibiotics and k2 have similar hairloss profiles in my experience. Ray says K2 shares other features with antibiotics - despite the fact that antibiotics supposedly damage K production. And people who don't suffer MPB to any degree probably won't notice. The effect is swelling of the head either from sebum, bone growth, or both. Many notice increased dandruff from k2 & antibiotics.
Would bone growth actually cause hair loss/receding hair? Shouldnt improved bone growth improve hair as well

Waynish

Would bone growth actually cause hair loss/receding hair? Shouldnt improved bone growth improve hair as well
There are loads of exceptions to these supposed theories. If they didn't have all of these exceptions then the RP followers would be famous superathletes in 5 years due to all of the sugar, PUFA depletion, and metabolic hacks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals