For those who have been doing scalp massages and it made you shed, did it grow back/came back thicker/regrowth or did it never come back?

scalp massages

• It shed for me, and came back

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • It shed for me and came back thicker and regrew hair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It shed for me and never came back

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • It didn’t really shed me or make me grow hair or anything

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • It didn’t shed at all for me, only regrowth and added thickness

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Steve123

Hey all! So I’ve been on the edge with starting a scalp massage regime, but I’m scared as I’ve seen lots of folks say that it caused them to have hair loss, some say hair loss never grew back...

When you look at every single treatment for hair loss it seems there’s always an initial shed but it still scares me.

For those who have had an initial shed from hair massage, who can now say that it came back or came back better or what ever when CONTINUING the scalp massages??

Also, what hair massage regime are you doing, perfect hair health by rob or?? I know a lot are not doing it properly and could be going to hard so that would also be useful to know!

Or is there anyone here who knows 100% their doing the massages correctly, it made you shed a bunch of hair and then it never came back?

Jack Earth

I doubt anyone here would stick to a regimen that hard. 20 min a day 2x a day is a tough discipline that very few would do for 3 - 6 months

Pet Peeve

I have a question, were supposed to lower inflammation to counteract hair loss, but the massaging, dt, brushing etc. seems to make my scalp inflamed. Especially the magnesium oil burns and makes my scalp red. Is this good or bad? What's the difference between good and bad inflammation of the scalp?

Mauritio

Hey all! So I’ve been on the edge with starting a scalp massage regime, but I’m scared as I’ve seen lots of folks say that it caused them to have hair loss, some say hair loss never grew back...

When you look at every single treatment for hair loss it seems there’s always an initial shed but it still scares me.

For those who have had an initial shed from hair massage, who can now say that it came back or came back better or what ever when CONTINUING the scalp massages??

Also, what hair massage regime are you doing, perfect hair health by rob or?? I know a lot are not doing it properly and could be going to hard so that would also be useful to know!

Or is there anyone here who knows 100% their doing the massages correctly, it made you shed a bunch of hair and then it never came back?
I would do scalp exercises instead . It was the same effect and doesnt cause so much inflammation / NO .
I'm doing them for like 6 years everyday and I'm slowly regrowing my hair, even before I started peating .

golder

I would do scalp exercises instead . It was the same effect and doesnt cause so much inflammation / NO .
I'm doing them for like 6 years everyday and I'm slowly regrowing my hair, even before I started peating .
Does anyone have any kind of description, or photo, or video of the technique of a scalp massage? Stupid question I know, but appreciate the help if possible.

Mauritio

Does anyone have any kind of description, or photo, or video of the technique of a scalp massage? Stupid question I know, but appreciate the help if possible.

This guy does a good job doing them .
You have to learn to contract the occipitalis externis muscle, that's the hardest thing to do .

AsuraAcademy

You have to learn to contract the occipitalis externis muscle, that's the hardest thing to do .

I googled can't able to see occipitalis externis muscle. Is that the muscle at the back of the head below galea?

Arnau

RP said before doing scalp massages you need to make sure your PTH is low by taking enough calcium, vit d, etc... otherwise your scalp/body is on a state of calcification and scalp massages woudnt be so effective or even work at all.

reaching

RP said before doing scalp massages you need to make sure your PTH is low by taking enough calcium, vit d, etc... otherwise your scalp/body is on a state of calcification and scalp massages woudnt be so effective or even work at all.

Makes sense. I think this has been touched on before but what about systemic enzymes and vitamin k?

Ray Peat also just says the same damn story about the chimney and the guy with the bad burns from falling down into it miraculously growing his hair back when he was bald.

AsuraAcademy

Makes sense. I think this has been touched on before but what about systemic enzymes and vitamin k?

Ray Peat also just says the same damn story about the chimney and the guy with the bad burns from falling down into it miraculously growing his hair back when he was bald.
That's the action of acute rise in stress hormones like cortisol, PTH, nitric oxide etc., Ray mentioned that these can be useful when there is acute rise and decline in PTH. Apart from that, when it is constantly high it damages more and more .. That's how dermarolling or derma pen works... Wounding increases nitric oxide... My guess is that the hair will eventually thin out and fall again if the root cause is not addressed (elevated prolactin, cortisol, PTH)

Arnau

I think apart from this exercise which helps with bloodflow, you need to work on the elasticity of the skin in the parts of the scalp that you lose hair, contracting it and expanding it with your hands. Looks like with this technic you are just moving the whole scalp all together. Personally, when I do the contracting/expanding exercise my hair feels much stronger after.

Mauritio

I googled can't able to see occipitalis externis muscle. Is that the muscle at the back of the head below galea?
Yes I feel a little bulge there .

Mauritio

I think apart from this exercise which helps with bloodflow, you need to work on the elasticity of the skin in the parts of the scalp that you lose hair, contracting it and expanding it with your hands. Looks like with this technic you are just moving the whole scalp all together. Personally, when I do the contracting/expanding exercise my hair feels much stronger after.
It seems to be all I need for regrowth. Not saying it cant be enhanced any other way .