For those of you with kids (toddlers and preschoolers) what do they eat for meals and snacks?

naevastar

What do they bring in their lunchbox etc? ?
I have a 2,5 and 3,5 year old and we have to bring breakfast, lunch and snacks to kindergarten every day

Peatful

What do they bring in their lunchbox etc? ?
I have a 2,5 and 3,5 year old and we have to bring breakfast, lunch and snacks to kindergarten every day
My two are older than yours now-
But I will start with an unpopular recommendation.

My relationship to food was so fckd up that it put me in such bad health; losing years of life.

**Therefore, I let my kids eat anything.**
Their relationship with food was paramount to the correct metabolic or “safe” snacks.
No food fear. No orthorexia.
Happy healthy kids.

Yes. Yes.
There are reasons to do as the OP suggests. Very good and valid reasons.
But this approach for me and my kids was stress free- with great outcomes.

As they grow- I adapt and guide and model.
They watch and learn that way best.

OP
N

naevastar

I understand your point ? I am not strict with what my kids eat but of course what I eat will influence what we have available in the house. And with me its actually been the opposite. I feel more free now than ever.

My children dont eat a lot in general so every day we aim for eggs, butter/coconut oil, milk, cheese, lots of fruits and raw carrots. They also get a multivitamin (a brand I found with no artificial sweeteners or anything else). I mix some collagen in a little bit of juice or a cup of hot chocolate. I serve meat/fish every day but sometimes they just eat the rice/pasta/potatoes.

I just want some suggestions to make their lunchbox a bit more varied cos we do have a lot of bread in Norway but my children are not the biggest fan.

Peatful

Cheese sticks
Rice pudding
Smoothie drinks- still a favorite to this day
Dried fruit
Potato chips with coconut oil only (USA not sure about that for you)
Jerky?

@catan
@Beastmode

catan

I packed rice and scrambled eggs for my daughter when she was in preschool. Cheese and fruit for snack. She was the kind of kid that wanted the same thing every single day. My other kid had alternated between rice & eggs, and rice & ground beef/carrots/potato stir fry.

YamnayaMommy

Mine take rice pudding, or yogurt, applesauce, gummies. Fruit, cheese.

I make jelly or cheese sandwiches with high quality bread.

Favorite snack is homemade baggie mix of pretzel sticks (hunt for one with acceptable ingredients), raisins, and chocolate chips.

I regularly make homemade lemon bars with gelatin added to egg, sugar, and lemon filling. Oat flour in shortbread crust. These are huge hits and good for packing in lunches. Easiest way to get my kids to eat eggs.

Jerky

Chocolate milk

OP
N

naevastar

Mine take rice pudding, or yogurt, applesauce, gummies. Fruit, cheese.

I make jelly or cheese sandwiches with high quality bread.

Favorite snack is homemade baggie mix of pretzel sticks (hunt for one with acceptable ingredients), raisins, and chocolate chips.

I regularly make homemade lemon bars with gelatin added to egg, sugar, and lemon filling. Oat flour in shortbread crust. These are huge hits and good for packing in lunches. Easiest way to get my kids to eat eggs.

Jerky

Chocolate milk
Yum this sounds good!

OP
N

naevastar

I packed rice and scrambled eggs for my daughter when she was in preschool. Cheese and fruit for snack. She was the kind of kid that wanted the same thing every single day. My other kid had alternated between rice & eggs, and rice & ground beef/carrots/potato stir fry.
Thank you? They do like eggs. Stir fry is a good idea too. Mine tend to eat the same for a while but then get fed up with it lol.

coffeelover

Good ideas ?Rice pudding is that the same thing as porridge?
I have 3 school aged kids, ages 5, 7, and 9. I have loosened WAY up on what they eat since I started feeding them years ago, haha. I now will buy some compromise snack foods to help them feel like they're not deprived (trust me they're FAR from deprived).

Typical lunch is...
sandwich with good sourdough bread with turkey/ham and cheese or occasionally, peanut butter and jelly (like once a week because they love it)
Alternative main dish might be hard boiled egg, grass fed mini beef stick, or just an extra serving of dairy. Once in awhile they'll take cheesy pasta or chili/soup in a thermos.

I always pack at least 1 dairy food, usually 2--Yogurt, milk, or cheese sticks/slices/babybel
I pack a fresh fruit when I have time but they also have applesauce, fruit cups without weird ingredients, dried fruit leather (just fruit no other ingredients), seaweed snacks, organic granola bites, and fig bars. I don't always buy the fig bars because they are like Crack for my kids. They do have canola oil which I don't like but it is their absolute favorite thing. So I compromise.
They also have crackers once in awhile (I love einkorn sourdough crackers) or plantain chips or popcorn.

I try to pack raw carrot sticks several times a week, sometimes cucumbers or pickles or olives.
Sometimes I'll pack one of these clean treats but they have so many birthdays and class parties at school that they are always eating unhealthy treats...but I realized in the past couple years that I don't want them to have an unhealthy relationship with food. So I don't fight those things anymore.

Oh and last but not least, their absolute favorite thing I pack is homemade gummies! My oldest actually packs extra because her classmates are always begging for some! I use 1.5 c fruit juice, 4 TBSP gelatin, and about 1/4 cup of sugar and I make them in cute little silicone molds 😍

coffeelover

I have 3 school aged kids, ages 5, 7, and 9. I have loosened WAY up on what they eat since I started feeding them years ago, haha. I now will buy some compromise snack foods to help them feel like they're not deprived (trust me they're FAR from deprived).

Typical lunch is...
sandwich with good sourdough bread with turkey/ham and cheese or occasionally, peanut butter and jelly (like once a week because they love it)
Alternative main dish might be hard boiled egg, grass fed mini beef stick, or just an extra serving of dairy. Once in awhile they'll take cheesy pasta or chili/soup in a thermos.

I always pack at least 1 dairy food, usually 2--Yogurt, milk, or cheese sticks/slices/babybel
I pack a fresh fruit when I have time but they also have applesauce, fruit cups without weird ingredients, dried fruit leather (just fruit no other ingredients), seaweed snacks, organic granola bites, and fig bars. I don't always buy the fig bars because they are like Crack for my kids. They do have canola oil which I don't like but it is their absolute favorite thing. So I compromise.
They also have crackers once in awhile (I love einkorn sourdough crackers) or plantain chips or popcorn.

I try to pack raw carrot sticks several times a week, sometimes cucumbers or pickles or olives.
Sometimes I'll pack one of these clean treats but they have so many birthdays and class parties at school that they are always eating unhealthy treats...but I realized in the past couple years that I don't want them to have an unhealthy relationship with food. So I don't fight those things anymore.

Oh and last but not least, their absolute favorite thing I pack is homemade gummies! My oldest actually packs extra because her classmates are always begging for some! I use 1.5 c fruit juice, 4 TBSP gelatin, and about 1/4 cup of sugar and I make them in cute little silicone molds 😍
Oops, forgot to attach links for the chocolate treats I buy!

And of course I'll make cookies and puddings from time to time. I just made this weird hard boiled egg pudding last week but my kids had NO IDEA that's what it was made from.

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgKCj7mFFUm/?igshid=ZjE0ZGRhNjQ=

EvanHinkle

Similar to what others have said here, but I’ve packed a grilled cheese, dates, dried candied ginger, and there’s several fruit smoothie packet companies that use only lemon juice as a preservative, (just gotta read labels).