For Those Of You Who Eat 1oz Liver Every Day

cyclops

I've seen quite of few people mention they eat 1oz liver every single day. This seems like a pretty nice idea and something I'd like to try, but how are you guys managing this logistically?

The beef liver I buy, and really the only I've seen, come in big(ish) pieces and are about 1 pound per package frozen. I actually order it online because its high-quality and it comes frozen solid with ice packs. So I usually defrost one and figure its good in the fridge for 2-3 days. I usually just split it with someone and we eat about 8oz each once every week or two.

But I dont know how you manage to do 1oz per day. In my situation it seems like I'd wind up having to throw a good portion of it away. If I defrost it and eat 1oz a day by the 3rd day I will have to throw the whole pound out. How do you guys manage this?

Kingpinguin

I've seen quite of few people mention they eat 1oz liver every single day. This seems like a pretty nice idea and something I'd like to try, but how are you guys managing this logistically?

The beef liver I buy, and really the only I've seen, come in big(ish) pieces and are about 1 pound per package frozen. I actually order it online because its high-quality and it comes frozen solid with ice packs. So I usually defrost one and figure its good in the fridge for 2-3 days. I usually just split it with someone and we eat about 8oz each once every week or two.

But I dont know how you manage to do 1oz per day. In my situation it seems like I'd wind up having to throw a good portion of it away. If I defrost it and eat 1oz a day by the 3rd day I will have to throw the whole pound out. How do you guys manage this?

simple. When you get it first time and defrost it. Cut it straight away in 10 small pieces. Then roll each piece up in baking paper and freeze it all. The everyday you only unwrap one piece and cook it. Instead of defrost whole chunk and freeze it down again over and over. Not rocket science

OP
cyclops

cyclops

simple. When you get it first time and defrost it. Cut it straight away in 10 small pieces. Then roll each piece up in baking paper and freeze it all. The everyday you only unwrap one piece and cook it. Instead of defrost whole chunk and freeze it down again over and over. Not rocket science

O so you like kind of defrost it, like just a little bit, so you can work with it and pull the pieces apart and then cut it. I didnt want to defrost and freeze because I thought if you freeze it twice its bad. But that makes sense, just have to keep an eye on it, so it doesn't defrost too much. I usually order a whole bunch at a time so Ill just have to do a huge amount at once. Thanks!

Waremu

I just get a pack of beef liver and fry it up very well and keep it in the fridge.. Mine will keep well over a week once cooked (actually closer to 2 weeks). I then just take some out of the fridge every day, weigh it on my scale to get the right cooked amount, then eat it with one of my main meals. I actually do this for chicken liver as well. I eat both beef and chicken liver every day (both for Vitamin A, beef liver for copper, and chicken liver for the biotin, mainly). Probably some of the best livers in the US as well, so I enjoy them very much.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

I just get a pack of beef liver and fry it up very well and keep it in the fridge.. Mine will keep well over a week once cooked (actually closer to 2 weeks). I then just take some out of the fridge every day, weigh it on my scale to get the right cooked amount, then eat it with one of my main meals. I actually do this for chicken liver as well. I eat both beef and chicken liver every day (both for Vitamin A, beef liver for copper, and chicken liver for the biotin, mainly). Probably some of the best livers in the US as well, so I enjoy them very much.

2 weeks! Damn you must really be a emu lol! I mean that would def be more convenient, but I figured it would be off after day 3. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point and see how long I can keep eating it. Thanks.

milkboi

I wonder if making liver pate with a good amount of preserving spices like salt and garlic would improve its shelf-life in the fridge.

Aymen

i think raw liver can go bad if it's left in the fridge for more than two days.
i get fresh liver from the butcher and eat a large amount of it once a week instead of 1oz every day, it has a good amount of vitamin K2 and freezing it can destroy this vitamin.

tara

I don't eat it everyday, but I do buy more than I want to eat at once.
I buy it as fresh as possible (not frozen), cut it into pieces the way I want to cook it, separate into smallish serving sizes and freeze all but the first 2 servings. I thaw/soak a serving overnight before cooking and eating.

boris

i think raw liver can go bad if it's left in the fridge for more than two days.
i get fresh liver from the butcher and eat a large amount of it once a week instead of 1oz every day, it has a good amount of vitamin K2 and freezing it can destroy this vitamin.

Hi, can you point me where I can read more about K2 being destroyed at freezing temperatures?

Hi, can you point me where I can read more about K2 being destroyed at freezing temperatures?
I'm curious about this too. Even heat doesn't damage vit. K2 much, right? It would be worrying if freezing did that, since most of the meat I eat has been frozen previously.

T

tca300

I buy fresh liver, then when I get home I put it spread out thin in freezer bags. When I'm going to eat some, I pull a frozen peice out ( sometimes it sticks to the bag so running a little water over both sides will help ) and chop off a piece ( I've been doing this for years so I'm pretty good at eyeballing how much a given chunk will weigh ) then put the rest back into the freezer. If its spread out thin, even though its frozen, it doesn't take much effort to cut, provided you have a good knife, and use a little elbow grease. If you try this method, please be careful as its slippery and you might end up shooting the liver off into the neighbor's yard.

Yure

I cut the liver in pill-sized chunks and then freeze the pieces, separated, until kinda solid. Once frozen I transfer to a glass jar that I keep in my freezer.

I swallow the 'pills' with milk throughout the day.

Aymen

i found it when i was looking at infos about vitamin K, here is the link Vitamin K Information | Mount Sinai - New York
scroll down to Dietary Sources you will find it:

"Freezing foods may destroy vitamin K, but heating does not affect it."
here is another one from sciencedirect:
"Freezing may decrease the level of vitamin K. Vitamin K is sometimes added to food as a preservative to control fermentation."
Vitamin K - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Aymen

I buy fresh liver, then when I get home I put it spread out thin in freezer bags. When I'm going to eat some, I pull a frozen peice out ( sometimes it sticks to the bag so running a little water over both sides will help ) and chop off a piece ( I've been doing this for years so I'm pretty good at eyeballing how much a given chunk will weigh ) then put the rest back into the freezer. If its spread out thin, even though its frozen, it doesn't take much effort to cut, provided you have a good knife, and use a little elbow grease. If you try this method, please be careful as its slippery and you might end up shooting the liver off into the neighbor's yard.
i,m newbie to cut it with knife, i failed many times so i switched to scissors like danny roddy did in the video and it worked well for me.

sladerunner69

I wonder if making liver pate with a good amount of preserving spices like salt and garlic would improve its shelf-life in the fridge.
Yeah when I make pate it lasts a nice long time, nearly 2 weeks. The fats from the butter help to preserve it longer I think,

Waremu

2 weeks! Damn you must really be a emu lol! I mean that would def be more convenient, but I figured it would be off after day 3. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point and see how long I can keep eating it. Thanks.

LOL. I think most people, when they cook liver, only gently cook it, and in that case, the liver would not keep as long. But if you cooked it very well, almost like dry-pleasure cook it, it becomes dry and well cooked, and because it has less moisture in it and is cooked much better, it tends to keep longer. Boil and dry cook liver in a lid for some time, until dry and well cooked, and try keeping it in a container with lid and I think you'll be amazed at how long liver and keep for.

boris

@Aymen thanks a lot mate!
-
Interesting about the cooked liver lasting longer. I was always under the impression that dangerous bacteria start to grow quickly after meat has been already cooked. I think I was watching too much aajonus and sveridge videos in the past.

Do you guys add anything else to preserve a pate for longer other than butter and salt?

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Lots of great ideas here... the problem with pate though, is that you cant have it without some nice crunchy bread!

i found it when i was looking at infos about vitamin K, here is the link Vitamin K Information | Mount Sinai - New York
scroll down to Dietary Sources you will find it:

"Freezing foods may destroy vitamin K, but heating does not affect it."
here is another one from sciencedirect:
"Freezing may decrease the level of vitamin K. Vitamin K is sometimes added to food as a preservative to control fermentation."
Vitamin K - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
Thanks! I had never heard that. I'll try not freezing my meat and see if I notice any difference.

Kingpinguin

O so you like kind of defrost it, like just a little bit, so you can work with it and pull the pieces apart and then cut it. I didnt want to defrost and freeze because I thought if you freeze it twice its bad. But that makes sense, just have to keep an eye on it, so it doesn't defrost too much. I usually order a whole bunch at a time so Ill just have to do a huge amount at once. Thanks!

The liver I buy is not frozen at the grocery store. It’s fresh in the fridge. I take it home. Cut it up in anywhere from 5-10 pieces. Put those pieces into plastic bags and chuck em in the freezer. Then I have several seperate frozen pieces I can pick when ever I want that has only been frozen once? If there’s a lot of blood or goo around the liver I tend to wash all that off under cold water before cutting it up. Work in a sterile kitchen with clean cuttlery and theres no risk of contamination or liver going bad. Man I’ve worked restraunts for many years. You don’t know how far they push the boundaries of whats ok and not ok sometimes. You don’t need to worry if you do it the way I explained. You can likely buy frozen liver aswell defrost it enough to become loose then cut it up and refreeze it again without having to be concerned a bit.