"For people with really sensitive intestines or bad bacteria, starch should be zero. "

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think we just have to experiment for ourselves. I personally seem to do okay with it for 2-3 months and then it suddenly becomes apparent it’s a big “No” and I have to stop eating it. I’ve replicated this multiple times so I’ve finally decided starch is truly a starvation food for me. I know plenty of people seem to do fine with starch though.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I think we just have to experiment for ourselves. I personally seem to do okay with it for 2-3 months and then it suddenly becomes apparent it’s a big “No” and I have to stop eating it. I’ve replicated this multiple times so I’ve finally decided starch is truly a starvation food for me. I know plenty of people seem to do fine with starch though.
Good thoughts, Blossom.

I seem to do ok with rice long term and oatmeal short term. Bread and pasta bother me as do well-cooked potatoes, sadly.

We keep changing though - so generally our tolerances are not permanent.

YamnayaMommy

That's interesting, Blossom. I'm trying to figure out if starch is helping or harming my digestion. However, every time I attempt to eliminate starch, I fail because I cannot resist the delicious starchy treats I make for my little kids. Ugh.

When you say that it "suddenly becomes apparent" that starch doesn't work for you, can you be more specific? What are the big telltale signals for you?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's interesting, Blossom. I'm trying to figure out if starch is helping or harming my digestion. However, every time I attempt to eliminate starch, I fail because I cannot resist the delicious starchy treats I make for my little kids. Ugh.

When you say that it "suddenly becomes apparent" that starch doesn't work for you, can you be more specific? What are the big telltale signals for you?
My energy gradually declines, I notice a trend of adding more supplements in an effort to feel better and my gut slowly reverts to more and more bloat and discomfort. It’s always very vague at first and builds to the point where I can no longer ignore it. If I hadn’t been on this forum for 9 years I probably wouldn’t have known to consider that starch could be one of the root causes of all those issues for me.

Vins7

The problem is, can anybody follow a diet with 0 starches long term? I can't. I remember when I was younger I craved less starches than now. Could be this starch crave due to some kind of disbiosis or some tope of microbe overgrowth...?

InChristAlone

Not all starches are equal either. For me my bloat can come from hard to digest starches such as whole wheat, oatmeal, and beans. But I get no bloat from pasta which is odd as that's the one people say is the worst. The more complex carbohydrates can cause gas and bloating, but not everyone's gut microbiome is the same.