For fun: 8 months of cholesterol tests + diet intervention

ironfist

Previous to starting, I was having grassfed butter and/or olive oil on everything.

Cholesterol was high.

In November I stopped eating butter and olive oil completely.

Values dropped QUICKLY.

In April I started eating bacon.

See how the levels drop with the elimination of fat and return with the introduction of fat?

Screenshot 2022-05-24 4.19.26 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-05-24 4.20.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-05-24 4.21.10 PM.png

Tzheng2012

Lita Lee: The Myth of Bad Cholesterol: Cholesterol, LDL and Mortality

In my 25 years of work as an enzyme therapist I have observed that thus sickest people have the lowest cholesterol. This is especially true of LDL cholesterol whether they are too sick to make it or are taking an anti-cholesterol drug. Why? It is the LDL cholesterol that is converted into pregnenolone, the major anti-aging steroid, which is then partly converted into progesterone and DHEA. That’s why I rejoice when I see a person with a cholesterol of 200 or above. Because I know that, given enzymes, a prothyroid diet and hormonal balancing with thyroid glandular, progesterone and pregnenolone, they will be able to nourish their thyroid gland and help convert their LDL cholesterol into pregnenolone.

“Cholesterol itself is one of life's basic defense systems, essential for all functions, and when thyroid is low, increasing cholesterol partly compensates, by maintaining progesterone production, regulating nerves and cell division and cell communication and motility, etc. Higher thyroid increases the rate of cholesterol turnover, keeping oxidized cholesterol from accumulating, despite the interference of PUFA (omega-3 and -6 oils). In old people, mortality was minimal when cholesterol was at 270, but in higher thyroid people the optimal cholesterol would probably have been lower. A Framingham study found that people over 50 were more likely to be demented if their cholesterol was below 200; if it was that low because of high thyroid function, I don't think it would be a problem.” (Dr. Ray Peat, www.RayPeat.com )

Circulation, the journal of the American Heart Asscn. (AHA), reported in Feb. 2006, that since statins were introduced to lower cholesterol, there has been a doubling (100%) increase in heart failure. Furthermore, a late study reveals that higher LDL (the so-called "bad" cholesterol), is "associated with decreasing mortality risk in older women." And for both older sexes, "fatal heart failure decreases with higher LDL levels." (Jnl. of the American Geriatric Society, Dec. 2005)

cs3000

Previous to starting, I was having grassfed butter and/or olive oil on everything.

Cholesterol was high.

In November I stopped eating butter and olive oil completely.

Values dropped QUICKLY.

In April I started eating bacon.

See how the levels drop with the elimination of fat and return with the introduction of fat?

View attachment 37130View attachment 37129View attachment 37128
cool, so took ~1 month to see most of the change. useful thanks

Runenight201

What about your ApoB levels? From my understanding it’s not cholesterol that is necessarily the bad guy but the ApoB that carries the cholesterol. Would be interesting to see how those changed as a result of your dietary interventions.

Vanset

Manipulating cholesterol levels is very easy and has little to do with thyroid function IMO. I'm cetain no matter what your thyroid function is, you can adapt a diet that will skyrocket your levels off the charts.

Want to increase cholesterol (especially LDL)? Lower your soluble fiber or easier, just total fiber. Increase dietary cholesterol, increase intake of the most hypercholesterolemic fat which is isolated dairy fat, aka butter. At least 50g a day. Funnily beef fat and coconut fat aren't all that hypercholesterolemic. I don't have the cites for this, because I didn't save research at the time, but I have read A LOT of studies on different fats and fatty acids from the Ancel Keys era.

Want to decrease it? Do the opposite.

OP
I

ironfist

I never checked ApoB.

Yeah, I read lower cholesterol is harmful. But that was like WAY low, not like normal healthy low.