Foods that consistently make you feel better or warmer right after eating them?

FredSonoma

I rarely feel good right after eating... At best I feel the same but usually I feel a little worse - meaning more tired. I'm guessing this could very well have to do with stress hormones being reduced after eating.

However, because I avoid starch, I don't have a good go to for a big quick load of carbohydrates - i'm always guzzling cold oj or soda, which make me feel okay but I can't drink much at once. What foods do you eat that consistently make you feel better right after eating them?

Edit: I guess I'm looking for something a little too magical... I think I really need to get to bed earlier and just keep eating what I crave, minus pufa and starch. Starch always seems to give me problems, but it is very satisfying and warming right after I eat it... But I always regret it about 12 hours later.

Brian

Salty dry carbs. One possible problem with a starch free diet is that it is harder to get enough sodium into your diet without also adding lots of liquids.

If I remember right you were really guzzling the liquids there for awhile, wasn't it around 2 gallons per day? That probably diluted your sodium to a very large degree, also making you effectively magnesium deficient.

I would drop all liquid sources of calories while loading up on about 8000mg of sodium per day (about a tablespoon of salt per day, or 2 tablespoons of baking soda). Then only drinking to satisfy your thirst, after a meal. I would keep this up until you are consistently warm for a few weeks along with a good source of magnesium.

What starch sources have you tried? Which ones give you problems? I find basmati rice, sourdough bread, or fried potatoes to digest well. I don't consider starch necessarily very optimal, but often it can be very useful for de-stressing if only for a few months while rebalancing electrolytes.

One thing that might help is a teaspoon of baking soda in a half cup of orange juice several times per day between meals. I used this once and it really seemed to get my sodium levels up without excessive liquids.

XPlus

Haagen Dazs - vanilla flavour. Perhaps with salted honey.

DaveFoster

Last edited by a moderator:

michael94

I like to dip dates in a little coconut oil salt mixture, that will do wonders for anyones temp

coconut oil fries

milk with tons of instant coffee and sugar

great white bread from this little french place ( no pufa oils used ) with some low fat string cheese

tara

I think I caused myself a bit of distress by trying to get too much of my calories from liquids in the beginning.
Trying more solids makes sense to me, and only drinking to thirst. And getting enough sodium.
One of the tactics I used early on was to add baking soda, salt, simple syrup to my OJ. I don't do that now, but I think it helped bit at the time. Or sometimes honey. I generally avoid drinking really cold drinks - the cold mass seems stressful in itself.

Potatoes with salt and a little butter or coconut oil often seem to make me feel better.

Brian said:
post 112840 2 tablespoons of baking soda
I would not use this quantity unless you are monitoring UpH regularly, unless it's fully reacted with OJ or other acid. There are people here who seem to have got into trouble from supplementing too much baking soda and calcium (milk-alkali syndrome).

Brian

tara said:
Brian said:
post 112840 2 tablespoons of baking soda
I would not use this quantity unless you are monitoring UpH regularly, unless it's fully reacted with OJ or other acid. There are people here who seem to have got into trouble from supplementing too much baking soda and calcium (milk-alkali syndrome).

I agree. Used as a sodium supplement it needs to be fully reacted with a juice acid before consuming and spread out throughout the day, 1 tsp at a time or less. I wouldn't recommend 2 tablespoons of baking soda per day, that was just a comparison for how much would equal 8 grams of sodium. 1 tablespoon spread throughout the day mixed in acidic juices would be a more practical way to increase sodium intake combined with well salted meals.

J

James IV

Potatoes. Pasta. Bagels. Rice.

Fruit rarely makes me feel warm. Juice alone never does.

Giraffe

feel good - kind of food high:

potato salad consisting of potatoes, a mixture of yoghurt and sour cream (I know, lactic acid is better avoided), a little olive oil, lemon juice, a couple of (mainly Indian) spices

feel warmer:

protein or heating spices

Wilfrid

All kind of foods made from refined wheat as long as I combine them with a source of fat and protein, also very well cooked applesauce made from sweet apples.
The winner for me is a combination of Quatre-Quart cake ( one pound each of flour, butter, eggs and sugar plus a little salt or baking soda. I add also a tsp full of blackstrap molasse to the mix.), coffee with sugar and applesauce.

tara

Brian said:
post 112877 Used as a sodium supplement it needs to be fully reacted with a juice acid before consuming and spread out throughout the day, 1 tsp at a time or less. I wouldn't recommend 2 tablespoons of baking soda per day, that was just a comparison for how much would equal 8 grams of sodium. 1 tablespoon spread throughout the day mixed in acidic juices would be a more practical way to increase sodium intake combined with well salted meals.
That makes sense to me.

SQu

Wilfrid said:
The winner for me is a combination of Quatre-Quart cake ( one pound each of flour, butter, eggs and sugar plus a little salt or baking soda. I add also a tsp full of blackstrap molasse to the mix.), coffee with sugar and applesauce.
Complete recipe please! I love simplicity and if this is as easy to make as it is to remember then it sounds like a winner!

Wilfrid

SQu said:
Wilfrid said:
Complete recipe please! I love simplicity and if this is as easy to make as it is to remember then it sounds like a winner!

4 eggs
Flour: same weight as the 4 eggs
Butter: same weight as the 4 eggs
Sugar: same weight as the eggs
1 tsp of either salt or baking soda.
1 tsp blackstrap molasse.

Preheat your oven at 160 C

Mix flour, melted butter, sugar, salt, egg yolks and blackstrap to make a dough.
Then, whisk the egg whites until they forms peak and incorporate slowly to the dough.
Cooked around 1h20 or until a toothpick comes out clean. It should look like this:
http://www.invitationsgourmandes.fr/qua ... rt-breton/
Try to get the best ingredients you can and voilà. :D

CoolTweetPete

brumpfschmlog said:
post 112844 frozen raw beef liver (really)

I've thought of doing this because apparently heat destroys the P5P.

Is the taste horrific? I have a couple frozen livers and I'm considering taking a chomp.

Potato definitely. I think a regular potato actually works the best for me. I don't know why. I add butter and salt to it. Seems to be good. I think if you in general eat more solid foods as opposed to liquids, it will help a lot. The reasoning I was reading a couple of weeks ago so I kind of forget, but the article is on raypeat.com. He says something along the lines of in hypothyroid people your body uses more salt than it should and the salt and water in your body should be in equalibrium. So if you have hypothyroidism and your salt is being used too much.. and then on top of that you are hammering yourself with more liquid.. it is not really helping the problem. I could be standed corrected though. Look into red light also.. you'd be surprised at how good it is.

Oystesr and liver if you can stand it. I will usually eat enough liver, I've been getting zinc from beef though lately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals