Foods For Family Member With Type 2 Diabetes

A.D.

I visit one of my family members every 2 weeks who has Type 2 Diabetes.

I used to bring freshly squeezed organic OJ with the Peatarian view in mind.

However, recently she told me that her doctor advised "No more OJ!" Because it "raises blood sugar."

I still want to bring food gifts when I visit.

What foods would you recommend for someone with this condition?

I assume chocolate is out of the question. Do I bring just meats? Sugar free sodas? Eggs?

I'd like to bring foods that at least contribute to healing her condition.

Please tell me what you'd recommend. Thank you.

boris

What does she usually eat? I have a diabetic family member and they say the same, but most of the other foods they eat are at the top of the glycemic index (various starches).

OJ is pretty low on the glycemic index (around the middle), just like most fruit and even table sugar.

Maybe print out a glycemic index for her. It could make her question her doctor ;)

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
I visit one of my family members every 2 weeks who has Type 2 Diabetes.

I used to bring freshly squeezed organic OJ with the Peatarian view in mind.

However, recently she told me that her doctor advised "No more OJ!" Because it "raises blood sugar."

I still want to bring food gifts when I visit.

What foods would you recommend for someone with this condition?

I assume chocolate is out of the question. Do I bring just meats? Sugar free sodas? Eggs?

I'd like to bring foods that at least contribute to healing her condition.

Please tell me what you'd recommend. Thank you.
Fruit in general should be helpful.
Fresh fruit consumption in relation to incident diabetes and diabetic vascular complications: A 7-y prospective study of 0.5 million Chinese adults
"Among those without diabetes at baseline, higher fruit consumption was associated with significantly lower risk of developing diabetes (adjusted HR = 0.88 [95% CI 0.83–0.93] for daily versus non-consumers, p < 0.001, corresponding to a 0.2% difference in 5-y absolute risk), with a clear dose–response relationship."

100 % Fruit juice and measures of glucose control and insulin sensitivity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials
"Compared with the control group, 100 % fruit juice had no significant effect on fasting blood glucose (−0·13 (95 % CI −0·28, 0·01) mmol/l; P = 0·07), fasting blood insulin (−0·24 (95 % CI −3·54, 3·05) pmol/l; P = 0·89), HOMA-IR (−0·22 (95 % CI −0·50, 0·06); P = 0·13) or HbA1c (−0·001 (95 % CI −0·38, 0·38) %; P = 0·28)."

There are lots of research showing that fresh fruit, dried fruit and fruit juice and lower fasting glucose, fasting insulin, HbA1c and lower the glycemic response of a meal.

There are also evidence showing that the lower the carbs go and the higher the fat, the worse insulin resistance becomes and the higher fasting glucose, fasting insulin and HbA1c goes.

Milk, eggs, fresh fruit, shellfish, cheese, etc., would be good food. Orange juice is good since it's a great source of vitamin B1 and potassium, which should help improve insulin sensitivity.
In terms of supplements, vitamin B1, B2, B3, aspirin, vitamin E, K2 and D would be helpful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals