Food or stress hormones

SamYo123

If I’ve eaten some carbs/food and I’m still cold then I start moving around and become warm am I being fuelled by that food or by stress hormones from the movement that generated the heat?

TheSir

Stress hormones don't really warm you up, especially if we're talking about the extremities as stress hormones lead to vasoconstriction. Adrenaline and cortisol limit your temperature to around 36.5C/97.7F. The reason moving around warms you up is that physical activity increases the production of co2, which in turn leads to vasodilation, heat production and decreased stress hormones. The effect is strong enough to be seen even when you haven't eaten anything in a while. I think the most important thing right now is to figure out why the food you're eating isn't warming you up.

OP
S

SamYo123

Stress hormones don't really warm you up, especially if we're talking about the extremities as stress hormones lead to vasoconstriction. Adrenaline and cortisol limit your temperature to around 36.5C/97.7F. The reason moving around warms you up is that physical activity increases the production of co2, which in turn leads to vasodilation, heat production and decreased stress hormones. The effect is strong enough to be seen even when you haven't eaten anything in a while. I think the most important thing right now is to figure out why the food you're eating isn't warming you up.
Foods have different effects each day on for example could make me cold today and doing nothing or tomorrow I could move around and drink and be warm

Eberhardt

its obviously not true that it limits it it to 36.5 . a permanenty stressed state can lead to things like a permanent temprature of 37.6 like I had myself. Then when the adrenalin cuts of you crash and are about 36.4. I also though wonder about the thread starters initial question.

TheSir

. a permanenty stressed state can lead to things like a permanent temprature of 37.6 like I had myself.
There is a considerable metabolic difference between being fueled by stress hormones and living in a state of chronic stress and inflammation. The latter can and will elevate your temperature. Try physical activity to the point of hypoglycemic stress response and measure your core temperature, it won't be higher than 36.5

K

Kaur Singh

If I’ve eaten some carbs/food and I’m still cold then I start moving around and become warm am I being fuelled by that food or by stress hormones from the movement that generated the heat?

How warm is warm, for you?
one thing is to be warm
another to be too warm...
and what other symptoms go along with it.

what about your HR, how high does it go when you are upright?

If it were due to digestion / food, then your temperatures would rise even in supine, without movement.

This is my experience:
My temp spikes when I am under stress, after I have done 'too much', etc (up to 37.5 C)
It does not feel good
Often, there are other 'symptoms' that go along with this

It's common to hear of low temperatures / cold intolerance.
Heat intolerance is also a problem of hypothyroidism

The adaptation process is obviously different in these individuals form the 'cold' ones.
Medical world tends to see it as 'hyperthyroidism'
it's a very poor way to describe what is happening.

catecholamines / histamine / nitric oxide / estrogen / serotonin / TRH

take your pick

Last edited by a moderator:

Eberhardt

There is a considerable metabolic difference between being fueled by stress hormones and living in a state of chronic stress and inflammation. The latter can and will elevate your temperature. Try physical activity to the point of hypoglycemic stress response and measure your core temperature, it won't be higher than 36.5
Oh Ive done that can be almost 38. If you count triathlon for a couple hours doing that. Or do you mean like being lost in the woods without food ??

TheSir

Oh Ive done that can be almost 38. If you count triathlon for a couple hours doing that. Or do you mean like being lost in the woods without food ??
You'll know you've reached it when you become weak, cold and shaky.

Eberhardt

You'll know you've reached it when you become weak, cold and shaky.
ok so - and Im not as sarcastic as I sound - you mean that if you exhaust yourself until you get cold then you get cold?? I dont understand how this can be logically relevant. I am not claiming you can not grind yourself down so you get cold. This happens and is also involving downregulating thyroid. The thing Im saying is that you can get seriously much warmer then what you state by adrenalin and I never seen any proof of this. It also goes against a lot of experience including Peats statements of it. Just think about all the people getting on thyroid getting an initial drop in temprature because the adrenalin turns off. It means it was arificially elevated by cortisol and adrenalin.

TheSir

ok so - and Im not as sarcastic as I sound - you mean that if you exhaust yourself until you get cold then you get cold?? I dont understand how this can be logically relevant. I am not claiming you can not grind yourself down so you get cold. This happens and is also involving downregulating thyroid. The thing Im saying is that you can get seriously much warmer then what you state by adrenalin and I never seen any proof of this. It also goes against a lot of experience including Peats statements of it. Just think about all the people getting on thyroid getting an initial drop in temprature because the adrenalin turns off. It means it was arificially elevated by cortisol and adrenalin.
The point is that it takes more than just adrenaline or cortisol to artificially elevate your temperature. There certainly are cases in which actions that reduce adrenaline/cortisol reduce temperature, but this is because these actions also reduce other temperature-influencing factors that override the temperature ceiling imposed by the aforementioned stress hormones, such as inflammation and histamine.

For example, doctors are aware of the concept of psychogenic fever, i.e. a stress fever, the symptoms of which include high body temperature, body aches, hot flushes and fatigue. Is it not so that the effects of stress hormones would directly oppose three of the latter symptoms? It is evident that stress in itself is more complicated than what 'stress hormones' themselves represent.

Eberhardt

The point is that it takes more than just adrenaline or cortisol to artificially elevate your temperature. There certainly are cases in which actions that reduce adrenaline/cortisol reduce temperature, but this is because these actions also reduce other temperature-influencing factors that override the temperature ceiling imposed by the aforementioned stress hormones, such as inflammation and histamine.

For example, doctors are aware of the concept of psychogenic fever, i.e. a stress fever, the symptoms of which include high body temperature, body aches, hot flushes and fatigue. Is it not so that the effects of stress hormones would directly oppose three of the latter symptoms? It is evident that stress in itself is more complicated than what 'stress hormones' themselves represent.
Hmm I see what you mean. I might just have to conciede and say I think the last sentence really sums it up. I could add that according to how I interpret Peats comments (of course he might also be wrong at times) its very possible to have the stresshormones raise it higher. If not I dont understand how he would also (or some of this might be forum talk and haidut that I remember as directly from peat) say that taking thyroid or other stress lowering substances could show if a bodytemp of say 37.2 was due to very high metabolism or more likely artifically increased by stresshormones, by observing what happens to the body temp if reducing these physiological stressfactors. I also have noted that if the body produces adrenalin not by the hpa axis but due to the activity of the medulla it seems not to give the cold extremitites of other adrenal surges (I've written to Peat about that one and he didnt seem to find it unreasonable) so it seems like at least its obvious that its more complicated. I would also assume that the maximum would be different for different people depending on ther energetic and physiological make-up. I am of course not 100%percent sure that the elevated temps that are not due to good metabolism are caused buy adrenalin alone. Maybe its a mix. So a more presise forumlation would be that obviously stress hormones can further elevate the body temps

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals