Folate And Other B's

DaveFoster

Potatoes have large amounts of folate with 1 large (3" to 4 1/4" in diameter or 290 calorie) russet having around 78 mcg of folate, so around 26% of the RDA.

Four potatoes (1360 calories worth of potato) would give you the full RDA in folate.

Amazoniac

Does a Single Vitamin B-Supplementation Induce Functional Vitamin B-Deficiency?

"A group of five healthy white volunteers without hyperhomocysteinemia (male, mean age 42 years) received three series of different oral vitamin B supplements. Series I consisted of 1 mg folate, 10 mg vitamin B6 and 0.4 mg vitamin B12, series II of 5 mg folate, 10 mg vitamin B6 and 0.4 mg vitamin B12, and series III of 5 mg folate, 100 mg vitamin B6 and 0.4 mg vitamin B12. The vitamins of series I were consumed daily for a period of 6 days. Blood samples were taken before the first dose was given. Four hours later a second blood sample was drawn, and the third was obtained on day 6. After a washout-period of 2 months, series II and III followed the same time-schedule."

upload_2018-11-20_20-58-29.png

Does a Single Vitamin B-Supplementation Induce Functional Vitamin B-Deficiency?

"A group of five healthy white volunteers without hyperhomocysteinemia (male, mean age 42 years) received three series of different oral vitamin B supplements. Series I consisted of 1 mg folate, 10 mg vitamin B6 and 0.4 mg vitamin B12, series II of 5 mg folate, 10 mg vitamin B6 and 0.4 mg vitamin B12, and series III of 5 mg folate, 100 mg vitamin B6 and 0.4 mg vitamin B12. The vitamins of series I were consumed daily for a period of 6 days. Blood samples were taken before the first dose was given. Four hours later a second blood sample was drawn, and the third was obtained on day 6. After a washout-period of 2 months, series II and III followed the same time-schedule."

View attachment 11287

I'm a bit late to the game on this one but I ate some folate rich spinach and was interested in learning more. Seems like higher doses of b6 are folate sparing, if I'm not mistaken. Also brings about a nice reduction of homocysteine. Wonder if the homocysteine lowering by b6 spares the folate's job of remethylating homocysteine.