Focusing on steady blood sugars — missing link to health in Peat Land

Strap on a continuous glucose monitor and watch cause-and-effect.

I wrote a note to Dr. Peat about it.

I’m finding huge benefits to keeping in The Zone, around 90 - 100 if possible during the day and at night. Never falling into hypoglycemia.

I am beginning to theorize that swings in blood sugar, along with excursions into hypo land, are most harmful. I’m seeing huge benefits almost immediately from this.

My headaches are better and better, and fewer, so far. And I have more energy and less brain fog, fewer endotoxin symptoms. I can exercise more without anything hurting.

So far.

1. Avoid excursions into anything below 70 mg/dL.
2. Avoid big swings, period.

The newer technology of CGM makes this very easy to monitor.

Jam

So, what are the changes that you've made that have had the greatest impact on keeping steady blood glucose?

OP
ecstatichamster
Still a work in process. I have found that minimizing swings is good. Minimizing hypo episodes is essential. Setting yourself up with a good breakfast assures the rest of the day is good. You can have fruit juice or Coke but only after you’ve eaten protein. Don’t have too much protein at a sitting — avoid having a steak. Just have 1/4 of the steak. Too much protein sets up huge swings which can result In hypoglycemia.

Broda Barnes book on Hypoglycemia advocates a low carb diet, but I don’t believe that’s good. With good carb intake, I am spending most of my time in a reasonable range and last night I had NO hypoglycemia.

I’m also doing 2g of taurine three times daily after meals, and oral NAD+ twice daily.

I can see why Dr. Peat says the whole day is your opportunity to load up your liver to prepare for the period of fasting during sleep. As usual he is 1000% right.

I’m spending more and more time in the zone of around 90 ng/dL for hours at a time now.

Peatful

I agree with this- and subsequently have been recommending 40/30/30 or 50/20/20 for years here. (C/P/F).

It calms the chaos down (as does limited supplements imo) - and allows our adrenals to not constantly have to regulate our BS.
Especially important for women who need more progesterone from the adrenal glands; well, actually men too.

I think as you move toward health - the more ability or flexibility you can have within each meal or each day.
But what do I know?

And, I also trust Peat implicitly.

I haven’t read Broda or The Zone; but I think this is foundational for health- and especially for healing.

Thx for this thread.

Jam

Thanks. Yes, steady blood glucose is extremely important. I've done several stints with CGMs over the past few years, and I've always had good steady blood glucose. I'm doing particularly well lately at 60C/15P/25F with high starch, dairy, but limited flesh, FWIW.

SamYo123

What does starch do whn u consume

also how u boiling eggs b4 that first zip of juice when u wake up?

Abmartich

Still a work in process. I have found that minimizing swings is good. Minimizing hypo episodes is essential. Setting yourself up with a good breakfast assures the rest of the day is good. You can have fruit juice or Coke but only after you’ve eaten protein. Don’t have too much protein at a sitting — avoid having a steak. Just have 1/4 of the steak. Too much protein sets up huge swings which can result In hypoglycemia.

Broda Barnes book on Hypoglycemia advocates a low carb diet, but I don’t believe that’s good. With good carb intake, I am spending most of my time in a reasonable range and last night I had NO hypoglycemia.

I’m also doing 2g of taurine three times daily after meals, and oral NAD+ twice daily.

I can see why Dr. Peat says the whole day is your opportunity to load up your liver to prepare for the period of fasting during sleep. As usual he is 1000% right.

I’m spending more and more time in the zone of around 90 ng/dL for hours at a time now.
Adding small portions of protein between meals (15 grams of whey protein) keeps my mood in line without a sugar crash.

EvanHinkle

This seems like very important information to me and confirms some of what I’ve suspected regarding the importance of blood glucose and more so the importance of steady blood glucose readings.

Thanks for sharing!

Jam

What does starch do whn u consume

also how u boiling eggs b4 that first zip of juice when u wake up?
When I consume starch from (sprouted) whole grains such as oats or bulgur, or potatoes, with enough milk or cheese (and keep fat, mostly saturated, moderate) blood glucose remains steady, besides a very small post-prandial spike which quickly returns to baseline and never dips below, and I am satiated until my next meal. When I eat starch, especially refined, with no dairy and/or very little saturated fat, or too much fat, my blood glucose will spike much higher and in the former case (no fat) it will then drop like a brick and I will become ravenously hungry shortly thereafter, while in the latter it will remain elevated and take much longer to return to baseline due to the Randle Cycle.

*Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Jam

Addendum: when I eat mainly saturated fats and low carb, my fasting blood glucose is relatively higher, and post-prandial spikes are muted but takes ages to drop to (the higher) baseline.

OP
ecstatichamster
Addendum: when I eat mainly saturated fats and low carb, my fasting blood glucose is relatively higher, and post-prandial spikes are muted but takes ages to drop to (the higher) baseline.

but I don't want to be low carb. I think that is a mistake. Low carb means that my body is making a lot of its own sugar via gluconeogenesis which is a stress on the body.

Rafe

This is golden. It’s finding balance as conditions change that Peat is about.

@Peatful I also trust his judgment pretty completely. Almost everything I’ve tried turned out eventually to be exactly what he said it would be. Where he goes silent on something, or his advice to someone is different from something he said before, he’s either changed his view, or the person’s situation needs a solution that isn’t like the general one.

50/20/20 turns out to work for me. Low-ish protein, less than 100, even most days less than 80 works for me. Especially if I’m working a lot. Too much at a time, like hamster is saying & I just have to take a nap & not in a good way.

Too much in carbs just makes me groggy & sluggish all day & night, & it feels like life is passing me by.

First thing in the morning, if not juice or fruit (carbs & sugar), then I’d think cow’s milk would fit: highest protein milk + carbs. But I don’t have a cgm.

Do you take carbs with the morning protein, & that keeps the numbers stable?

What does coffee do to glucose stability on a cgm?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
very good video. Thank you. How did you come to wear the CGM and what were your learnings from that?

I was actually using the Ultrahuman CGM device... But I am going to do another video in the future encompassing more of my findings.

Here are some of the notes I made (not in detail):
No correlation between headaches and glucose
No correlation between glucose and energy
Correlation between mild dizziness and low glucose
I can feel a hypo episode (more nervous/anxious)
Hunger is NOT correlated to blood sugar levels
Late night eating is much worse
Protein with carbs keeps glucose stable
What about post meal triglycerides? This is completely ignored wearing a CGM.
Assessing post meal insulin? Can we design a device that measures insulin instead?
Fruit generally does NOT spike my glucose levels, as say compared to Rice and oats.
Hiatus hernia and heart burn correlates with LONGER time for my glucose to drop back into normal range.
Liquid drinks are terriblE for glucose
I have not found that when the sugar spikes that there is a rebound hunger effect.
Cane sugar water spiked it 158 on an empty stomach , which correlates with feeling highly energetic

Elie

Forum Supporter
In his last appearance on Danny's podcast he seemed to suggest that macros should also change with age / metabolic state.
older adults / low metabolism state require less protein - around 50 g
Did anyone watch that? is that so?

imei3489

Strap on a continuous glucose monitor and watch cause-and-effect.

I wrote a note to Dr. Peat about it.

I’m finding huge benefits to keeping in The Zone, around 90 - 100 if possible during the day and at night. Never falling into hypoglycemia.

I am beginning to theorize that swings in blood sugar, along with excursions into hypo land, are most harmful. I’m seeing huge benefits almost immediately from this.

My headaches are better and better, and fewer, so far. And I have more energy and less brain fog, fewer endotoxin symptoms. I can exercise more without anything hurting.

So far.

1. Avoid excursions into anything below 70 mg/dL.
2. Avoid big swings, period.

The newer technology of CGM makes this very easy to monitor.
i just managed to have really stable blood sugar all day after suffering from fluctiating bloodsugar my whole life.
how? i just started eating whartever i want, even stuff with seed oils in them. i also started only eating 3 or 4 times a day. i dont want to be eating seed oils though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals