Focus On Lowering Visceral Fat

Such_Umami

I have noticed that a lot of people following RP seem to have difficulty shifting the fat and to them I would highly recommend focussing on lowing their visceral fat first because it's a tangible way to lower stress hormones in a very concrete way.

I initially had a lot of success with RP philosophy. People noticed the difference. However, after a few months it seemed progress seemed to stagnate. Though I put on a lot of muscle, I believe my fat reserves stayed mostly the same which is still very good progress from most strength trainers perspective as it seems the concensus is that it's really hard to put on muscle without at least some fat gain. Still, I wasn't happy with this as I believe I keep most of my fat viscerally in my abdominal area.

So I decided to go through a small caloric deficit and when I eat, do it according to rp principals. This seems to have brought me a lot of success. I am really into reading my dreams and since starting this I have noticed I've been having a lot of karmic based dreams which revolves around eating (especially pufas). I'd literally be eating a pufa loaded fried chicken and then something extremely grizzly or karmic would happen. This karma I know as things specific to me, not random at all. They are very meaningful dreams. After these dreams it seems like I've got an infusion of energy as the hold the karmic energy has been released.

I'm coming to the belief that we store visceral fat which causes estrogen production, inhibits the liver (hepatic insulin resistance) and is one of the primary causes of cortisol, inflammation and serotonin through the estrogen production it creates. It seems that herpatic insulin resistance (liver function) is correlated with visceral fat and that simply overloading it with carbs is not the correct way to go because the fat is getting in the way of it's energy production.

I've been on about a 500 calorie deficit but still getting about 400g of carbs. So I hopefully won't be stressing my body out too much through the deficit.

berk

I have noticed that a lot of people following RP seem to have difficulty shifting the fat and to them I would highly recommend focussing on lowing their visceral fat first because it's a tangible way to lower stress hormones in a very concrete way.

I initially had a lot of success with RP philosophy. People noticed the difference. However, after a few months it seemed progress seemed to stagnate. Though I put on a lot of muscle, I believe my fat reserves stayed mostly the same which is still very good progress from most strength trainers perspective as it seems the concensus is that it's really hard to put on muscle without at least some fat gain. Still, I wasn't happy with this as I believe I keep most of my fat viscerally in my abdominal area.

So I decided to go through a small caloric deficit and when I eat, do it according to rp principals. This seems to have brought me a lot of success. I am really into reading my dreams and since starting this I have noticed I've been having a lot of karmic based dreams which revolves around eating (especially pufas). I'd literally be eating a pufa loaded fried chicken and then something extremely grizzly or karmic would happen. This karma I know as things specific to me, not random at all. They are very meaningful dreams. After these dreams it seems like I've got an infusion of energy as the hold the karmic energy has been released.

I'm coming to the belief that we store visceral fat which causes estrogen production, inhibits the liver (hepatic insulin resistance) and is one of the primary causes of cortisol, inflammation and serotonin through the estrogen production it creates. It seems that herpatic insulin resistance (liver function) is correlated with visceral fat and that simply overloading it with carbs is not the correct way to go because the fat is getting in the way of it's energy production.

I've been on about a 500 calorie deficit but still getting about 400g of carbs. So I hopefully won't be stressing my body out too much through the deficit.
so if i understanding it right than you have always followed a none/low fat diet but your fat reserves stayed mostly the same and when you started decrease your kcal intake under maintenance kcal, your body-fat finally decreases?

Vinny

How would you know, that you've lowered (or increased - whatever) the visceral fat, since it is inside the body (not visible)?
Thanks

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

so if i understanding it right than you have always followed a none/low fat diet but your fat reserves stayed mostly the same and when you started decrease your kcal intake under maintenance kcal, your body-fat finally decreases?

That's pretty much correct. However, a little more nuanced; I believe that though my fat went down when I was on a low fat diet w/fasting, my muscle mass decreased disproportionately. And the fat I do have all seemed to go to my mid-section.

How would you know, that you've lowered (or increased - whatever) the visceral fat, since it is inside the body (not visible)?
Thanks

The same way I know that I had a lot of visceral fat, though any other part of my body will indicate that I have very low fat percentage, I always carried it under my belly and I had always felt self-conscious about it. I believe that I'm getting rid of it now, not only because I'm letting go of the kinds of stress which hold it there but it is noticeably lower visually and when I feel it. This is different to the weightloss that I get when I'm fasting.

berk

my muscle mass decreased disproportionately.
huh, you said that you put on a lot of muscle..

and what do you mean with grizzly or karmic?
I'd literally be eating a pufa loaded fried chicken and then something extremely grizzly or karmic would happen. This karma I know as things specific to me, not random at all. They are very meaningful dreams. After these dreams it seems like I've got an infusion of energy as the hold the karmic energy has been released.

Last edited:
OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

so what is it?

When I followed RP, I put on a lot of muscle but when I was on a low fat diet with a lot of fasting, I lost muscle disproportionately more than my fat reserves.

cyclops

so are you still on a lowish fat diet now? what are u current macros on your 5oo calorie deficit?

nwo2012

Increasing stearic acid or taking stearyl alcohol are great ways to lower visceral fat.

When I was on the low fat diet (something I don't recommend now), it was mostly from the fruitarian perspective.
Do you know much protein you were getting at that point?

cyclops

I'd say it is still quite low fat, about 20% of calories from fat, 10-15% protein and the rest carbs.

So your on a 500 calorie deficit, following a Ray Peat inspired diet, pretty balanced macros (lowish fat), and losing body fat. Makes sense. I hope you continue to do well.

teds

Forum Supporter
Are you lifting weights or anything else to improve or maintain muscle mass?

I wonder about liver with so little protein. Doesn’t the liver need a minimum amount to convert thyroid?

Jem Oz

Can I ask how many calories a day you're eating? I know it's supposed to be different for everyone, but keen to get an idea. Also, am assuming you track cals?