Fluoroquinolone Poisoning

messtafarian

I have just about scared myself to death reading about Cipro/Levaquin toxicity.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've been reading that magnesium is key to a better outcome and there was a study that found a combination of magnesium and vitamin e to be very helpful. I was thinking that something like pau d'arco might help since it protects against oxidative stress, and aspirin might be helpful as well.

Did Peat ever talk about this?

Peata

Are you worried some of your health problems are due to taking it?

Or just worried that it might cause problems later, or ?

it seems like i read over the last couple years on this or other peat forum where someone talked about why it causes problems. i can try to find it.

OP
M

messtafarian

I'm worried because I took Levaquin when I thought I had meningitis. I mean I accepted the Levaquin because I knew it acted on meningitis and I can't take penicillin. But a lot of my recent experiences read like these accounts so I'm wondering if it's a factor. Paresthesia, muscle spasms, tremor and so on. It's all slowly getting better and I've been eating and supplementing defensively, but when you read *damage to mitochondria* -- that's a showstopper.

Peata

found the thread I was thinking of, it's on the Ray Peat Inspired FB page, if you put in the search box "cipro" it's the first one that comes up. I think you've already come across the basics of what they said though - hard on the mitochondria, use transdermal magnesium, etc. someone mentioned using prebiotic/probiotic/soil organsims.

OP
M

messtafarian

Yep, that's what I've been doing, on all the little aches everywhere. And all kinds of other things. If someone broke into my house they'd think I was running some kind of supplement store.

yerrag

In response to the OP, on Christmas my mom was discharged from the hospital after successfully recovering (a month-long ordeal) from what I believe to be Levoquin (it's called Levofloxacin in the Philippines) toxicity. I wrote Ray Peat:

Hi Ray,

Thanks to you I was able to get my mom for Christmas from the hospital. I made her own liquid food and had put in brain-protective substances such as magnesium and niacin, together with plenty of honey as part of the food that had to be force fed to her.

She was catatonic because of what I believe to be the nerve-destroying effects of Levoquin and the previous use of parenteral nutrition which incorporated plenty of purified soya oil.

Knowing where the pathology lies allowed me to find an antidote to my mom's condition, and to give little credence to the neuroosurgeon's almost foregone conclusion (I say almost because I declined on the CT brain scan) that my mom is already functionally incapable (eating included) and that she was destined for the hospice.

I would very much like to receive your newsletter, and to keep learning from you, in addition to the already large amount to read up on in your www.raypeat.com website and the forum raypeatforum.com.

Thanks!

I was overjoyed to get a reply from him 2 days later:

Subject: Protective Substances

I’m glad to hear about your good results. The combination of honey or other sugar with magnesium and niacinamide is very effective for protecting brain, heart, lungs, and kidneys against stress. During stress, even without bad fats in the diet, the free fatty acids are released from the tissues into the bloodstream, and they block the ability of cells to produce energy efficently from glucose and oxygen. Those supplements decrease the release of fats from the tissues. Orange juice, aspirin and progesterone are other things that work in parallel to support metabolism during stress.

cleardot.gif