Fluorescent pee after b vitamin supp, Normal?!

Bluemachine

Started high dose b vit supp yesterday (high in thiamin hcl specifically) and I noticed after a few hours my pee was fluorescent yellow and today fluorescent green lol. Is this normal?

tankasnowgod

Bright yellow..... yeah, that happens all the time. I think it's usually from Riboflavin.

Green? Not usually from B Vitamins. Through if you've been taking B vits and Methylene Blue, yeah, that could easily happen.

PeatBull

Yeah, use to happen to me when taking animal pack. Crazy stuff, eleven or twelve big pills, was hard to take thm all.

Samya

I once ate a few bananas while camping and noticed my pee was fluorescent after, looked it up and like others have said is supposed to be related to B vitamins.

Last edited:
Bright yellow..... yeah, that happens all the time. I think it's usually from Riboflavin.

Green? Not usually from B Vitamins. Through if you've been taking B vits and Methylene Blue, yeah, that could easily happen.

100% correct.

Riboflavin introduces a yellow colouring, and methylene blue introduces a blue colouring which combines with yellow coloured urine to produce a green colouring.

I noticed this after eating liver. As well as after taking b2.

B

Blaze

Started high dose b vit supp yesterday (high in thiamin hcl specifically) and I noticed after a few hours my pee was fluorescent yellow and today fluorescent green lol. Is this normal?
Yes, very normal. The B vitamins are water soluble and the body eliminates any excess it doesn't need. That color comes from B2 (riboflavin) like Zigzag and the other posters above mentioned. The name Riboflavin actually comes from "flavus" meaning yellow. Your body is taking what it needs and flushing out the excess making expensive pee. Nothing to worry about. Taking a megadose B complex is probably way more than your body needs though.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheBeard

A simple Google search will let you know it's normal, no need to ask on a high level forum like this one.

B

Blaze

Or cheap glow sticks ;)
Lol....

You are actually in your urine eliminating all of the excess B vitamins you ingested but the only one you really notice is the B2 because of that dramatic color.
Just curious, just ballpark how old are you and why do you think you need high dose B vitamins instead of taking doses closer to the RDA or just eat 3oz of liver (85grams) once a week ? Are you trying to treat a specific condition or ailment like anemia or neuropathy or migraines? If you are very young (20's or 30's) then I wouldn't supplement very many things. If you are closer to my age (60) or have a health issue , then maybe supplementation could be beneficial.

OP
B

Bluemachine

A simple Google search will let you know it's normal, no need to ask on a high level forum like this one.
Ye, in hindsight I could have googled this. Nice to have a bit of discourse though after months of segregation

OP
B

Bluemachine

Lol....

Just curious, how old are you and why do you think you need high dose B vitamins instead of taking doses closer to the RDA ? Are you trying to treat a specific condition or ailment like anemia or neuropathy?
Early 20's, I was in a supplement store looking for something else and saw the b vit supp with no nasty ingredient. I had been drinking those naked smoothies that are fortified with b vits & feeling quite good but they don't contain any folate which I can tend to come up short on if I'm not juicing oranges daily so I thought I'd give it a try. Not sure I noticed how high the doses were until I got home.

B

Blaze

Early 20's, I was in a supplement store looking for something else and saw the b vit supp with no nasty ingredient. I had been drinking those naked smoothies that are fortified with b vits & feeling quite good but they don't contain any folate which I can tend to come up short on if I'm not juicing oranges daily so I thought I'd give it a try. Not sure I noticed how high the doses were until I got home.
Good that you are young and trying to take care of yourself and not treating a serious ailment. Try liver for those B vitamins. Prior to mass vitamin supplement availability, in the early powerlifting days, dessicated liver supplements (and eggs) were all the rage because they knew it was absolutely packed with nutrients. And liver has those vitamins in a much more natural form. Synthetic B may not be doing all that you need.

As to folate, liver has it but only 50% of the RDA in a 3oz portion. Folate---think foliage. Plants or oranges or a vitamin supplement might indeed be the better source for that.