Flu like feeling after sprints - does this get better or is it just a bad sign?

After reading some older posts by @Amarsh213 I tried short burts of sprinting, 3-4 times every other day. However, I've noticed some pretty intense flu-like aches in the days following. Is this just sprinting engaging large muscles groups in ways I'm not used to? Or is the gut releasing endotoxin?

And @Amarsh213 are you still sprinting and experiencing benefits or does this reach some kind of plateau?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 5487

After reading some older posts by @Amarsh213 I tried short burts of sprinting, 3-4 times every other day. However, I've noticed some pretty intense flu-like aches in the days following. Is this just sprinting engaging large muscles groups in ways I'm not used to? Or is the gut releasing endotoxin?

And @Amarsh213 are you still sprinting and experiencing benefits or does this reach some kind of plateau?

Thanks.
It's extremely taxing. What sort of distance and out put percentage are you doing?

ATP will last you about 40-50 yards, with 2-3 minute breaks.

I would lower it to 40-50 yards at 90% speed for a few reps per day2, 2 ,3 ,3, 4, 4, 4,4, 5, 5, 5, 5 5, and stop around 6-7 and build up over time.

If you told me to do 100m sprint at 100% I wouldn't be able to move for a few days. Best leave that for HS/College athletes.

long covid? it has been talked a lot that feeling much worse after physical load is related to so called "long covid".

mrchibbs

Maybe leaky gut

This is the likely culprit, intense exercise removes blood from the intestine and weakens the intestinal walls

OP
T
It's extremely taxing. What sort of distance and out put percentage are you doing?

ATP will last you about 40-50 yards, with 2-3 minute breaks.

I would lower it to 40-50 yards at 90% speed for a few reps per day2, 2 ,3 ,3, 4, 4, 4,4, 5, 5, 5, 5 5, and stop around 6-7 and build up over time.

If you told me to do 100m sprint at 100% I wouldn't be able to move for a few days. Best leave that for HS/College athletes.
Hey, sorry for taking so long to reply. Thanks for the advice, this is interesting, and makes perfect sense.

So you're still sprinting? Can you elaborate on if it's still changing your body composition as you previously attested?

OP
T
This is the likely culprit, intense exercise removes blood from the intestine and weakens the intestinal walls
Thanks, I was aware of this. However, weightlifting doesn't make me feel like this. Perhaps I should eat lots of gelatin around doing sprints to protect intestinal walls?

mrchibbs

Thanks, I was aware of this. However, weightlifting doesn't make me feel like this. Perhaps I should eat lots of gelatin around doing sprints to protect intestinal walls?

Weight lifting is good! It doesn't activate the same systems as intense exertion while running and the like.

It triggers anabolic (constructive, tissue building) processes.

I think your reaction indicates that your level of well-being/fitness is not quite good enough to do these high-intensity sprints just yet.

Sprints are a great exercise too, but they're the most intense form of exercise for humans, as we get older we can't really do them often or with many reps.

So maybe reduce your frequency/intensity, and make sure your biometrics (body temperature, stress level, pulse) after exercises are good.

D

Deleted member 5487

Hey, sorry for taking so long to reply. Thanks for the advice, this is interesting, and makes perfect sense.

So you're still sprinting? Can you elaborate on if it's still changing your body composition as you previously attested?
I no longer sprint simply do not have the will power or need, I am very skinny now/ripped now. Take a look at some of my past work on my alkalinity theory and it may help,

steraic(cocoa butter) acid as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIRurLnQ8oo

I primarily Lift weights high weight low reps

SamYo123

If you cant sprint, you cant do the basic human movements... and that is "aging"

Everyone will be doing functional patterns in the future. having the ability to sprint at 60 or 70 years old, will surely make you age slower

ww3not4me

You are simply out of shape for the activity you are doing. Sprinting causes huge acceleration and deceleration forces on the body. You are feeling the effects of those. Just because you can sprint does not mean your body is up to the task of doing them and recovering quickly or painlessly from it.

It is kind of like doing a lot of focused eccentric work at first it will make you sore and can be event though it was not that taxing at the time you did it. In time your body adapts to it.

I would try backing off your sprint intervals to not more than 2 times a week and see if things improve.

OP
T
Weight lifting is good! It doesn't activate the same systems as intense exertion while running and the like.

It triggers anabolic (constructive, tissue building) processes.

I think your reaction indicates that your level of well-being/fitness is not quite good enough to do these high-intensity sprints just yet.

Sprints are a great exercise too, but they're the most intense form of exercise for humans, as we get older we can't really do them often or with many reps.

So maybe reduce your frequency/intensity, and make sure your biometrics (body temperature, stress level, pulse) after exercises are good.
You're right, thank you! I have a habit of launching into new habits and forgetting I'm not a spring chicken any more.

OP
T
I no longer sprint simply do not have the will power or need, I am very skinny now/ripped now. Take a look at some of my past work on my alkalinity theory and it may help,

steraic(cocoa butter) acid as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIRurLnQ8oo

I primarily Lift weights high weight low reps

Thanks, Amarsh. I have been looking back at your posts, and I have some questions, if you don't mind?

1. How old are you?

2. In a recent post you said you were eating "butter, eggs, potatos and ammino acids for breakfast/lunch and have a big fatty chuck roast, potato, onion in the crock pot right now." I'm not assuming this is always what you eat, but does eating like this still fit into your alkalinity theory? Are you balancing that with fruit / veg?

3. I'm forgetting some research, but I've read plenty of studies that show increased protein to carb ratio increases cortisol. Do you think this is due to acidty from meat? It's late, I'm tired, I might be asking a dumb question there.

ww3not4me

If you ever look at world class sprinter they almost always have inanely nice shoulders and biceps. Most of that is not due to off season weight lifting or in season weight lifting. Sure that does not hurt. As the season goes on they lose weight including muscle mass but continue to get faster and much denser looking. So most of the shoulder and bicep development you see is due to the acceleration and deceleration of the arms as they spring. The forces involved are immense.

If you look at what happens when you try to toss a feather as hard as you can like your trying to try a baseball it hurts all of the joints from the shoulder down to your wrist or if you try to throw a plastic baseball hard. That is those same acceleration forces at work.

Depending on how far you sprint and how long your rest interval you are also talking about a ton of metabolites especialy anaerobic ones in volumes your body might not be used to clearing out or buffering.

When you say flu-like I take it you mean aching muscles and joints? Correct?

Have you considered walking briskly for an equal amount of time to kind of clear out the muscle a bit. A gentle to brisk walk the day after does not hurt either. Do not go hard every day.

When Tabata was all the rage a few decades ago I found out real quickly that my workout partner and I were having classic signs of adrenal fatigue and over training. We were doing a fairly abbreviated PTP type resistance workout so it was not that. We had been doing HIIT Tabata style 5 days a week. We had stopped making progress and were getting smoother instead of more ripped. I immediately cut us from 5 days of HIIT to 2 and the fat started to again melt off us like butter on a grill and we started to gain strength and muscle mass again.

Sprints are no joke!

Vonshlovens

If you do this can you report back please? I'm a competitive sprinter and will also experiment with more gelatin/bone broth for practices. Seems like the sick feeling usually goes with lactic buildup in the legs but I think sometimes I can get lactic without the sick feeling.

I'd love to have more discussion from the Peat perspective on sprints here, I improved my 100m time a lot shortly after implementing some of his principles. I also know that certain aspects of being a competitive athlete do not align with his recommendations, so sometimes there is a bit of a health/performance tradeoff (but usually one improves the other).

OP
T
If you ever look at world class sprinter they almost always have inanely nice shoulders and biceps. Most of that is not due to off season weight lifting or in season weight lifting. Sure that does not hurt. As the season goes on they lose weight including muscle mass but continue to get faster and much denser looking. So most of the shoulder and bicep development you see is due to the acceleration and deceleration of the arms as they spring. The forces involved are immense.

If you look at what happens when you try to toss a feather as hard as you can like your trying to try a baseball it hurts all of the joints from the shoulder down to your wrist or if you try to throw a plastic baseball hard. That is those same acceleration forces at work.

Depending on how far you sprint and how long your rest interval you are also talking about a ton of metabolites especialy anaerobic ones in volumes your body might not be used to clearing out or buffering.

When you say flu-like I take it you mean aching muscles and joints? Correct?

Have you considered walking briskly for an equal amount of time to kind of clear out the muscle a bit. A gentle to brisk walk the day after does not hurt either. Do not go hard every day.

When Tabata was all the rage a few decades ago I found out real quickly that my workout partner and I were having classic signs of adrenal fatigue and over training. We were doing a fairly abbreviated PTP type resistance workout so it was not that. We had been doing HIIT Tabata style 5 days a week. We had stopped making progress and were getting smoother instead of more ripped. I immediately cut us from 5 days of HIIT to 2 and the fat started to again melt off us like butter on a grill and we started to gain strength and muscle mass again.

Sprints are no joke!
Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply to your message. You're absolutely right, I don't know what I was expecting really, haha! I suppose it's using so many different muscle groups, and even the ones that aren't being used are being stretched and jiggled around.

Thanks, you've given me a lot to think about.

ww3not4me

Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply to your message. You're absolutely right, I don't know what I was expecting really, haha! I suppose it's using so many different muscle groups, and even the ones that aren't being used are being stretched and jiggled around.

Thanks, you've given me a lot to think about.
Just stick with it. You can dial up or dial down the volume and intensity to match your recovery!