Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

FLP-7 Neuropeptide Hormone Triggers Serotonin To Drive Fat Loss

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by Lokzo, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath
  2. ken

ken Member

Is that a good idea?

3. Hans

Hans Member

Serotonin actually promotes fat gain and not fat loss. Both central and peripheral serotonin causes this. Blocking both TPH1 and 2 speeds up the metabolism. Serotonin promotes fat storage, lipogenesis, inhibits UCP1 and a bunch of other bad stuff. I'm actually writing an article on this at the moment. I'll post it here when I'm done.

4. OP
    Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath
    Excited to read it man! I did find some research:

These are my takeaways:
    SEROTONIN IS A SURVIVAL/HIBERNATION CHEMICAL:
    In hibernating animals, the stress of a declining food supply causes increased serotonin production. In humans and animals that don’t hibernate, the stress of winter causes very similar changes. Serotonin lowers temperature by decreasing the metabolic rate. In the winter, more thyroid is needed to maintain a normal rate of metabolism (Ray Peat, 2019).

STRESS INCREASES SEROTONIN OUTPUT IN RAPHE NUCLEI:
    Stress triggers adaptive and maladaptive changes in the central nervous system. It has been shown that cortisol/stress can increase tryptophan hydroxylase mRNA, leading to greater serotonin output from L-Tryptophan (Chamas et al., 2004).

HIGH SEROTONIN IMPAIRS GLUCOSE CONTROL:
    The serotonin transporter (SERT) function is to "recycle" or remove (more accurately) serotonin from the synapse; effectively rendering it inactive. Ie. More SERT = Less serotonin flooding your brain.
    Reduced (SERT) function causes insulin resistance and liver dysfunction independent of food intake (Chen et al., 2012).

5. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

6. Hans

Hans Member

7. redsun

redsun Member

It was extensive and informative as always, and straight to the point as well Hans, that's why I thoroughly enjoy reading through your blog(your old one and the newer one). I learned a lot from the natural supremacy blog especially.

The MenElite blog does not seem to have a search function. It was incredibly useful on the other site especially when I want to review posts I have seen before. Will there be one added on?

8. LeeLemonoil

LeeLemonoil Member

Very nice blog Hans, thanks a lot!

9. Risingfire

Risingfire Member

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Turn your body away from glucose burning to more fat oxidation. Ray talks about how bad it when the body release too many fatty acids into the blood stream and the havoc it raises

10. Hans

Hans Member

Thanks for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it! Thanks for letting me know, I forgot all about the search function. I can currently only add footer widgets, so I added the search function there just now. So if you need it, it'll be at the bottom of the page.
    Thanks man, appreciate it!

11. redsun

redsun Member

Thank you for the quick response, now I can look through it better. I regularly look through your posts so this will help me out.

12. Hans

Hans Member

No problem man. I'm honoured to have you as a reader.

13. redsun

redsun Member

:cheers

14. OP
    Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath
  15. Terma

Terma Member

It's common for serotonin to have transient metabolism-boosting effects, such as testosterone increase from 5-HT2a, though sometimes you have to see this as a relative increase compared to other 5-HT receptors. Meanwhile increased fat burning can often be re-interpreted as glucose sparing, especially to reserve glucose for the brain, which several neurotransmitters and hormones implement in different tissues. Increased fat oxidation in the gut could be an attempt to deal with threats in the gut, increase peristalsis/other or get rid of a food overload. So you might as well ask the roundworms what they think. I was going to post a much more comprehensive study from 2019 (Tryptophan Metabolic Pathways and Brain Serotonergic Activity: A Comparative Review), but it turns out all their references are on fish - these people must be dolphins.

I appreciate the collection of links Hans compiled, sometimes it really save me time.

I was slowly writing a loose theoretical overview of the role of serotonin. It was going to be a short post but I realized there are so many studies that appear on the surface to suggest other possibilities (such as resource allocation - that one is even mentioned on wikipedia - which it is definitely involved from my perspective), that even though you can usually reinterpret them within the framework of serotonin as the threat molecule, it becomes difficult to believe because serotonin responses are so complex (sometimes even positive, often intertwined with kynurenine in Trp availability) and I end up having to write a book to explain it. Since I don't like doing long posts and I don't want to sell a book (make knowledge free) I may not post anything for awhile, or ever. You only have to remember that evolution prefers reusing existing mechanisms (in other words reusing the same 5-HT receptors) for similar situations while it so happens most situations involving successful post-synaptic 5-HT activation are threat responses and programs, even the "good" ones, and resource allocation logically falls under that notion in evolutionarily relevant cases. Dietary Trp sufficiency on the other hand appears overall more relevant to the kynurenine pathway in classic circumstances though it can get backed up. Everything has been shaped by scarcity and danger (even altruism, or one social organism donating resources to another) and they're evolutionarily inseparable. Our personalities are common to and highly defined by our threat responses in sexual advance, socialization, family units (especially - this is likely the strongest reason for the "positive" effects of 5-HT receptors - as Hans pointed out, think of how estrogen innervates serotonin in mothers - toward highly defensive but also selfless behavior), resource allocation/scarcity, immunity, and physical/chemical/biological insults (5-HT3).

Generally, serotonin release occurs upon threat detection/prediction (but note: these are not necessarily correct; it triggers false positives all the time). Serotonin innervation and receptor expression implement threat memory and threat sensitization (notably the TRP-5-HT3 system). The many receptor types and their neural interactions implement the different threat responses and programs. I see no other molecule as well-positioned for this role, which shaped every animal on the planet (maybe dolphins fared a little better?).

16. Terma

Terma Member

A tangent, but it needs to be written in the context of a technical post like Hans did:

You can re-analyze and establish the roles of 5-HT receptors by matching them to the most important evolutionary threats, for example anything related to child rearing and survival.

Perhaps post-synaptic 5-HT1a activation is the group mentality and group-seeking danger response? It may be strongly promoted by evolution to ensure the survival of children, to make them seek group and parental protection. In fact, that could well be the default response in newly-born organisms. As life progresses, serotonin circuits become complex and diversify. With the influence of estrogen, 5-HT2a in particular begins to develop, which activated acutely contributes confidence (dopamine/testosterone/etc.) as well as mental ability in the face of challenges - though it can become overwhelming. Estrogen promotes development of mental aging, away from child mentality. The difference between lone wolves and social animals might be that social animals retain (sensitized) post-synaptic 5-HT1a innervation/receptors in addition to developing 5-HT2a circuits. Despite having more available brain power, loners will face increased anxiety from chronic 5-HT2a activation relative to group animals, because post-synaptic 5-HT1a stimulation provides anxiolytic countermeasures.

It would also be logical for post-synaptic 5-HT1a expression to drive religious need. In effect, the "passive" post-synaptic 5-HT1a receptor induces subordination, and its stimulation is sought by organisms for its anxiolytic effects. The key is, you simultaneously make an association between anxiolytic effects and group association. Something along those lines might have been how religion came to be: fear of god translates to a need for an "ever-greater" group or authority figure, as this expresses a need for anxiolytic neurotransmission ("peace of mind") or a deficiency in it. You or your brain learns quickly in life that social contact provides anxiolytic support - that is, if you have developed and sensitized post-synaptic 5-HT1a circuits.

Afterward, you can easily throw in receptors such as 5-HT2c, which appears defined by anxiety and the fear response and would worsen or perhaps cause several of these behaviors. In addition 5-HT2c probably leads to flight from threats because then the organism seeks lower 5-HT2c activation and thus seeks lower serotonin levels (they might even crave salt, for its effects on SERT!). These behaviors are responses by the organism to try to achieve the pattern of 5-HT signaling that results in the most comfortable and rewarding neurotransmission. 5-HT2a is a special receptor because organisms are wired by programs such as estrogen to receive some positive stimulation from it. So instead of minimizing serotonin signaling, people may be driven toward combinations of post-synaptic 5-HT1a and 5-HT2a activation. We have learned to instinctively value challenge/danger (serotonin) because these receptors 1) provide rewarding neurotransmission, and 2) are highly valued by evolution to allow reproductive success and survival. We are/become wired to value serotonin, even if it causes a large number of our problems.

17. OP
    Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath

I thought St John's wort increases post synaptic 5-ht1a receptors?

Also, amazing write up and thank you for sharing so much insight !!