Flowers Of Sulfur Can Restore Lactose Tolerance

LoLo

Hello everybody,

That's my first post - male, 26 years old, central Europe - but I read the forum and try to implement a Peat inspired diet since a few months. So, first of all, thank you all for your great discussions and pieces of advice. One of the big problems I have with the diet is that I'm (was) totally lactose intolerant. I couldn't drink more than 1/2 glass of free fat milk without having very bad stomach problems. Lactase pills didn't work for me and I can't depend on those. I tried a lot of things : probiotics, apple cider vinegar etc, but nothing seemed to work.

Surfing on the web I found a product called Sulmedol claiming it can restore lactose tolerance. I saw that the main ingredient is flowers of sulfur, a peat-friendly supplement. Peat says to take it one teaspoon or 1 pinch a day for 3 days. However, the protocol to restore lactose tolerance is 200mg twice a day for approximately 45 days. Here is the original study that gave me the idea to try : http://www.google.com/patents/WO2000061155A1?cl=en. The theory is not clear, it seems that the lactase enzyme is a sulfur-containing enzyme.

I don't live in Canada so I just bought 50 grams of sublimed sulfur for 2,50 dollars and I began taking it twice a day, 200 mg. However, after 3 weeks, I couldn't drink more than one glass of free fat milk. So, for the last week, I took 4 times 200 mg, everytime after eating. In 3 days I was able to drink 1 quart of milk, and these two last days I drank 2 quarts of free fat milk without issues. Now I think I will continue for 1 week with 200mg x 2, then stop and see.

I want to make clear that this protocol is not very in line with Peat, as he said to take sublimed sulfur for 3 days in a row maximum, but I thought it could be useful. In addition, there could be a problem with metabolic acidosis, so the sulfur could be taken with molasses or, eventually, a bit of baking soda.

It probably cleaned their intestine...

schultz

Very interesting. I look forward to seeing how you react to the milk once you stop taking the sulphur supplement.

I wonder if the sulphur is actually acting to restore the lactase enzyme or if it is simply working as an antibiotic? I suppose it is possible that some forms of milk intolerance could be related to gut permeability and endotoxin. I never had a problem with milk so I have not looked into it much myself.

OP
L

LoLo

It is possible that flowers of sulfur works through cleaning the intestines. But in this case, I have to say that for me sulfur was more potent taken in small amounts frequently than one teaspoon once (causing only stomach ache). In addition, I tried several mega doses of activated charcoal (45 gr a day), and if they gave me the most flat stomach I have since peating, they don't allow me to drink more milk. It's possible however that sulfur simply is a more potent antibacterial than the rest. In the study it's said that lactase is a sulfur-containing enzyme so giving doses of sulfur helps restore lactase in no time (2-3 weeks) and it's really cheap (total cost : 2 dollars).

Dean

I did the 3 day FoS thing a few weeks back for parasites. A few days ago I started to embark on this treatment to see if it will improve my ability to tolerate milk (and to continue to work against any remaining parasites). I don't have a mg scale, but am I correct in estimating that taking a quarter of a quarter of a teaspoon (roughly 1/16th teaspoon) would be somewhere around 200 mg? So, I've been taking this amount twice a day for the last 3-4 days.

In terms of metabolic acidosis, would the fact that I am drinking 1/2, up to a full liter of mag. bicarbonate water concentrate negate this risk? Plus, I'm getting about 4000mg of calcium a day. I mean, calcium (and magnesium) are alkaline minerals. Shouldn't I be in the clear if I continue to take FoS in this amount for a month or 6 weeks?

tara

Dean said:
In terms of metabolic acidosis, would the fact that I am drinking 1/2, up to a full liter of mag. bicarbonate water concentrate negate this risk? Plus, I'm getting about 4000mg of calcium a day. I mean, calcium (and magnesium) are alkaline minerals. Shouldn't I be in the clear if I continue to take FoS in this amount for a month or 6 weeks?
You could get some pH strips and check.

Dean

tara said:
Dean said:
You could get some pH strips and check.

I've always kind of heard those things were beyond useless. They are fun though, I give them that.

Dean

Well, for the sake of posterity I will update that my use of flowers of sulfur continues with promising, yet inconclusive results to date. I've actually been taking it 3x/day most days. I'll skip a dose if I'm feeling too acid-y. Improving milk tolerance. No pinching discomfort in lower right ab. (cecum?) for a week or more. Had a major, if not disconcerting, die off on the parasite front.

As a disclaimer, I should say that anything I report should be taken with a major grain of salt. I am not a lab rat after all. Though I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Gl;itch.e

Dean said:
Had a major, if not disconcerting, die off on the parasite front.
Why disconcerting? Ain't you trying to kill the little critters?

Dean

Well, yeah; but it was a little disconcerting because the critters weren't so little. It is a good sign though to be finally getting to the ones that are most established. Still, it's not entirely pleasant to know you have something that major taking up residence in there.

Gl;itch.e

Dean said:
Well, yeah; but it was a little disconcerting because the critters weren't so little. It is a good sign though to be finally getting to the ones that are most established. Still, it's not entirely pleasant to know you have something that major taking up residence in there.
True true. I think Id actually flip my wig if I saw stuff like that. But better out than in I guess!

onioneyedox

I did this too (200 mg couple times a day) for few weeks. I can tolerate milk a bit better. I guess it cleaned intestine a bit and reaction is less severe. It feels like lactose might be fermented much later, maybe it gets all the way to colon. Maybe body can "see" the lactose now and maybe start to produce lactase? I can drink a cup now without too much discomfort.

Other thing, for supplemening sulfur, which is apparently needed for lactase production, I started taking n-acetyl-cysteine (just test, and Valtsu has written about it in his amino acid posts). As FoS isn't recommended for long time use. It cleared my tongue from 1st dose (00-capsule maybe 700-900mg) and it has stayed clear ever since, even when not taking it for a week. I find that interesting as drinking milk has given me tongue coating always and when older even without milk I have had trouble.

Well lots of things look like parasites once they're in the toilet... also the white stuff that gets on the tongue is the same that gets on the teeth. Either plaque or the stuff that milk leaves to protect the teeth.

Dean

well, at a little over a month, I am calling a halt to my FoS experiment. Just feel like I've reached the point of diminishing returns on it. Will be interesting to see if the milk tolerance I've gained during this time holds, or dissipates right away.

tomisonbottom

well, at a little over a month, I am calling a halt to my FoS experiment. Just feel like I've reached the point of diminishing returns on it. Will be interesting to see if the milk tolerance I've gained during this time holds, or dissipates right away.

Did you continue to take that much sulpher for the whole month? Did it give you gas at all?