Flowers Of Sulfur Aka Brimstone Logs

4peatssake

kiran said:
Are you in the US, 4peatssake?

http://www.amazon.com/Humco-Sulfur-Powd ... 001V9OWNU/

I believe you can also simply ask your pharmacy to order some for you.

This is perfect Kiran, thank you. And I found the same brand comes in 12 oz size so I'll order that.

iherb is also good for me j., thanks. I just wasn't getting any of these options coming up when I was searching. :?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Re: Heart Pounding Palpitations From Thyroid Supplement Log

narouz said:
Rachel said:
narouz said:
In trying to rally our courage to try the internal sulfur caper...
"A Pinch" doesn't sound too scary.

I wonder, if you took "a pinch" x 3,
would that amount to about a teaspoon?
Hi, narouz!

3 pinches would be quite a bit less than a teaspoon.
A pinch of an ingredient is the tiny bit your pick up between the tip of your index finger and thumb.
If you were to measure a pinch, it would be between 1/16 and 1/8 of a teaspoon.

I don't know, Rachel.
It must depend upon one's pinchability.
Looks like kettebell is gettin' in the ballpark:

kettlebell said:
Ok, My brimstone arrived today and I chugged a very respectable large pinch, twice. It says a heaped teaspoon is about 15gm so I must have had about 3gm or so.

If a heaped teaspoon is about 15gm.
Let's say a level teaspoon would be about 12gm.
A third of a teaspoon would be about 4gm.
kettle says he guesses he's doing about 3gm per pinch...

...I know...kettlebell probably has enormous thumbs and forefingers.... :lol:

Sorry to hijack the thread like that, but your measurements are incorrect I believe. I don't know of a single case where a teaspoon would hold 15 grams! A tablespoon holds 15 grams, while a teaspoon holds 5 grams. So, you may have been taking the wrong dosage. I actually took a teaspoon of "flowers of sulfur" and measured it using a medical scale. It confirms that a teaspoon is about 5 grams but keep in mind that this applies to water where 1 ml = 1 gram. Since sulphur has different molar mass and density one teaspoon won't be exactly 5 grams, but it is pretty close to that.
So, please don't take a TABLESPOON, but make sure you use a TEASPOON. If you have both, then the difference between the two is obvious, and a tablespoon is typically used to eat things like soup and stew, hence the larger volume. If you only have one kind and are not sure which one then do a search for"tablespoon" or "teaspoon" in Google Images and you'll see the difference.
I hope that helps. Just wanted to make sure people are not under- and over- dosing the sulfur.
As for me, 1 hour after a teaspoon of sulfur I don't feel much in the GI tract but I feel much calmer for some reason. Similar to the feeling I get from taurine, and incidentally taurine is the only sulfur-containing amino acid.
Anyways, will keep you posted on how it goes.

narouz

Fascinating.
Do keep us posted!
And thanks for the facts on the gram/teaspoon thing.
It's been so long since that happened I can't remember all the details.
I can't imagine I took a tablespoon!

4peatssake

haidut said:
As for me, 1 hour after a teaspoon of sulfur I don't feel much in the GI tract but I feel much calmer for some reason. Similar to the feeling I get from taurine, and incidentally taurine is the only sulfur-containing amino acid.
Any update on how it went with the sulfur haidut?

haidut

Forum Supporter

4peatssake said:
haidut said:
Any update on how it went with the sulfur haidut?

Yes, no major issues. It took about 2 days to get all of the sulfur out of me. After that my stomach was feeling better for 2 weeks until I ate french fries by mistake and I got it irritated again:): Overall, the sulfur improved skin tone and hair as well.
Btw, I have discovered that stomach issues can be controlled to a great degree by limiting liquid intake. When metabolism is not working properly, even small amount of extra liquid can bring really bad symptoms.

4peatssake

haidut said:
Btw, I have discovered that stomach issues can be controlled to a great degree by limiting liquid intake. When metabolism is not working properly, even small amount of extra liquid can bring really bad symptoms.
Interesting, can you say more about this? What foods do you recommend to get the metabolism working and avoid "really bad symptoms."

I ask because I continue to have gut issues and "seem" to tolerate liquids better that solid food but have wondered lately if I need to cut back on liquids and try a different approach. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

haidut

Forum Supporter

4peatssake said:
haidut said:
Interesting, can you say more about this? What foods do you recommend to get the metabolism working and avoid "really bad symptoms."

I ask because I continue to have gut issues and "seem" to tolerate liquids better that solid food but have wondered lately if I need to cut back on liquids and try a different approach. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

I found that at least for me, drinking liquids in the amounts I used to in my younger years brings about bowel noises, the feeling of shaking water in the gut, drop in temperature, confusion, eye floaters, etc.
So, for me the solution to liquids causing stomach issues was to up the salt intake by taking Alka-Seltzer. I take 12 tablets daily, which translates to about 3.9g of aspirin, and 23g of baking soda (which contains about 6g of sodium). So, basically I take 4 Seltzer tablets 3 times a day and that helps a lot with the excessive water intake.
I also try to drink liquids only when I feel thirsty, while before it was almost like a habit to sip on something while in front of the computer at work.
I eat a good deal of strained yogurt so I get 100g+ of protein a day and feel full without overeating. I think the fact that I limit the fat intake to the evening meal only (for the fat-soluble vitamins) helps as well. Having fat-rich meals all the time (even if the fat is saturated) does not sit well with me.
Every once in a while I take 4mg of ondansetron but these days I barely need it b/c I feel like the thyroid schedule is finally under control and I can control serotonin in the gut by relying on thyroid mostly.
Finally, I take about 2.5g of mixed tocopherol (high-gamma) and since this is very anti-estrogenic it has reduced my water retention dramatically.
If I have to pin it down to one thing - I would say that getting the thyroid right made the biggest difference. It took me more than a year of going back and forth of taking too little or too much until I stuck to the Barnes schedule, staring with half-grain in the morning and half-grain in the evening, to the point of taking 3 grains right now. I plan on increasing it until I don't feel any more benefit.
I hope that helps.

P.S. I almost forgot - I try to eat foods that have as high as possible calories/weight ratio since this controls the amount of liquids I am consuming. I find that strained "Greek" yogurt, low fat icecream, cheese, eggs, meat, shrimp fit that ratio pretty well. If I eat gelatin I just take the powder and ingest with as little liquid as possible (but plenty of sugar). And make sure that you eat enough sugar with all the protein you ingest. Otherwise, cortisol rises pretty quickly and the feeling is just not good.

jaguar43

haidut said:
4peatssake said:
haidut said:

I found that at least for me, drinking liquids in the amounts I used to in my younger years brings about bowel noises, the feeling of shaking water in the gut, drop in temperature, confusion, eye floaters, etc.
So, for me the solution to liquids causing stomach issues was to up the salt intake by taking Alka-Seltzer. I take 12 tablets daily, which translates to about 3.9g of aspirin, and 23g of baking soda (which contains about 6g of sodium). So, basically I take 4 Seltzer tablets 3 times a day and that helps a lot with the excessive water intake.
I also try to drink liquids only when I feel thirsty, while before it was almost like a habit to sip on something while in front of the computer at work.
I eat a good deal of strained yogurt so I get 100g+ of protein a day and feel full without overeating. I think the fact that I limit the fat intake to the evening meal only (for the fat-soluble vitamins) helps as well. Having fat-rich meals all the time (even if the fat is saturated) does not sit well with me.
Every once in a while I take 4mg of ondansetron but these days I barely need it b/c I feel like the thyroid schedule is finally under control and I can control serotonin in the gut by relying on thyroid mostly.
Finally, I take about 2.5g of mixed tocopherol (high-gamma) and since this is very anti-estrogenic it has reduced my water retention dramatically.
If I have to pin it down to one thing - I would say that getting the thyroid right made the biggest difference. It took me more than a year of going back and forth of taking too little or too much until I stuck to the Barnes schedule, staring with half-grain in the morning and half-grain in the evening, to the point of taking 3 grains right now. I plan on increasing it until I don't feel any more benefit.
I hope that helps.

P.S. I almost forgot - I try to eat foods that have as high as possible calories/weight ratio since this controls the amount of liquids I am consuming. I find that strained "Greek" yogurt, low fat icecream, cheese, eggs, meat, shrimp fit that ratio pretty well. If I eat gelatin I just take the powder and ingest with as little liquid as possible (but plenty of sugar). And make sure that you eat enough sugar with all the protein you ingest. Otherwise, cortisol rises pretty quickly and the feeling is just not good.

What type of Vitamin E do you use ?

haidut

Forum Supporter

jag2594 said:
haidut said:
4peatssake said:
haidut said:

I hope that helps.

What type of Vitamin E do you use ?

I have several types, which I rotate every month. I typically use the mixed tocopherols 95% purity from LotionCrafter, and also the Swanson "Maximum-Strength Gamma Tocopherol". Both types have similar contents of gamma-tococpherol, which Ray has said he prefers as well.

4peatssake

haidut said:
I hope that helps.

Thank you haidut, this is very helpful. I had been eating more Greek yogurt and cut back on milk but then gradually switched back.

What thyroid supp do you take?

One question. Do you worry at all about the high level of citric acid in the Alka Seltzer?

Ray Peat said:
Phosphate toxicity offers some interesting insights into stress and aging, helping to explain the protective effects of carbon dioxide, thyroid hormone, sugar, niacinamide, and calcium. It also suggests that other natural substances used as food additives should be investigated more thoroughly. Excessive citric acid, for example, might activate dormant cancer cells (Havard, et al., 2011), and has been associated with malignancy (Blüml, et al., 2011). Nutritional research has hardly begun to investigate the optimal ratios of minerals, fats, amino acids, and other things in foods, and how they interact with the natural toxicants, antinutrients, and hormone disrupters in many organisms used for food.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I use both the NDT thyroid from a Thailand supplier, which I bought off of Amazon about a year ago. I also have Cynoplus/Cytomel and alternate every once in while.
I do worry about the citric acid in Alka-Seltzer, but if you drink orange juice in the quantities Peat recommends you are ingesting about the same amount of citric acid. So, maybe I will try to switch to combining aspirin with baking soda instead and get my aspirin/sodium that way.

aquaman

haidut said:
4peatssake said:
haidut said:

I hope that helps.

THis may be the best post I've read on here!

I think people take too many fluids on this site in general. Orange juice and milk all day is far too liquid heavy. For me it leads to excessive urination, shakes, cold etc. I think when recovering from Hypothyroid the diet needs to be more calorie dense as you say!

Filip1993

@Haidut
When you say limiting liquids, do you still drink orange juice and eat watery fruits? How much liquid do you ingest a day?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Filip1993 said:
@Haidut
When you say limiting liquids, do you still drink orange juice and eat watery fruits? How much liquid do you ingest a day?

I try to limit intake of separate drinks to under 1l a day unless I feel thirsty. The rest of the liquids I take from food. I drink 2 glasses of OJ a day and count that towards my limit too. And I put baking soda in drinks that taste OK with it like OJ.

4peatssake

haidut said:
Filip1993 said:
And I put baking soda in drinks that taste OK with it like OJ.
About how much baking soda do you take each day? And do you check alkaline levels?

haidut

Forum Supporter
4peatssake said:
haidut said:
Filip1993 said:
And I put baking soda in drinks that taste OK with it like OJ.
About how much baking soda do you take each day? And do you check alkaline levels?

One teaspoon in a glass of orange juice, so total of 2 teaspoons of baking soda given that I drink 2 glasses of OJ. I have PH paper strips and I used them every once in a while to do a urine test for acidity/alkalinity. Many vitamin and food stores sell them.

4peatssake

Thanks haidut. I have ph strips as well and think I need to up my baking soda intake but been a bit leery about it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
4peatssake said:
Thanks haidut. I have ph strips as well and think I need to up my baking soda intake but been a bit leery about it.
Turtle wins the race. :)

J

j.

Charlie said:
4peatssake said:
Turtle wins the race. :)

I think sometimes people can be really messed up and need to act fast.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals