Florida: What's going on. A thread for news updates.

HDD

Yep. St. Augustine is quite nice. South of Jax.
I'd check the demographic and RE dev. If it is nothing but old people, etc...

I'll probably do a day trip there in a few weeks and report back. :):
It’s a fun and interesting to visit. Gets really crowded with tourists. We have camped there a few times. I think the beaches from there down to Daytona Beach are beautiful. It’s a pretty drive along A1A.

Regina

It’s a fun and interesting to visit. Gets really crowded with tourists. We have camped there a few times. I think the beaches from there down to Daytona Beach are beautiful. It’s a pretty drive along A1A.
:thumbsup: I'll try to avoid tourist times. Little more interested in exploring the many springs, nearby farms....

OP
B

Birdie

Jeff Childers is so cheerful here:

?‍♂️ Governor DeSantis received a slew of bills for signing last Friday. One of them is Senate Bill 254, which makes religious services permanently “essential,” and which precludes any emergency order from “directly or indirectly” interfering with religious services or activities, unless the rule applies equally to “all entities” in the same area. So.

Florida state Senator Jason Brodeur (R-Lake Mary) sponsored the bill. During the pandemic, at least one Florida county — Hillsborough County’s Sheriff Chad Chronister its garbage DA, to be specific — arrested Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne for leading a worship of about 300 people.

But soon, churches will be protected. More progress! And, less power for local governments, as I predicted would happen as a result of their delusional petty dictating.

?‍♂️ This week, in widely-shared public comments, Governor DeSantis called for COURAGE:

“What we really need in our state and in our country is leadership. We need people that have some courage, the courage of your convictions. When you’re standing up on principle, when you’re standing up for what’s right, people are going to come after you in this realm, that’s the reality. It not just me as governor, it’s parents going to school board meetings … you will face some opposition for that. Nothing is cost-free. But if people aren’t willing to stand up and take those arrows and pay the price, to be able to do what’s right, then we don’t have much of a future…. Just be willing to have the fortitude and the strength to stand up for what you believe in.”
Be brave! It’s working.

HDD

:thumbsup: I'll try to avoid tourist times. Little more interested in exploring the many springs, nearby farms....
With my husband being an avid surfer and involved in the industry, we’ve only stayed in the beach areas. I home schooled my kids so we combined the historical aspect with the beach fun. We have enjoyed some of the springs in Florida over the years. Ichnetucknee, Manatee, are a couple. I can’t recall the name of the one where the manatees migrate to in the winter, it’s really cool to see. Do you scuba dive? I have family that have done that in the springs.

Regina

With my husband being an avid surfer and involved in the industry, we’ve only stayed in the beach areas. I home schooled my kids so we combined the historical aspect with the beach fun. We have enjoyed some of the springs in Florida over the years. Ichnetucknee, Manatee, are a couple. I can’t recall the name of the one where the manatees migrate to in the winter, it’s really cool to see. Do you scuba dive? I have family that have done that in the springs.
How cool!
I've been to several growing up and then later I did a year at UF. We often went "swamp-stomping" and day trips to springs. Ichnetucknee, ginnie, blue springs (where the manatee migrate from the St. John's, loads of canoe trips down the Peace, loxahatchee and into the everglades backcountry out to cape sable.
I did my PADI in high school and we went to John Pennekamp, Cat Cay and later in the bay islands off Honduras (the great blue hole). But I gotta say, I just don't enjoy scuba diving. I never enjoyed being somewhat 'captive' with a group of hardcore outdoor enthusiasts. The trip out to Cape Sable in the backcountry was utterly miserable. The horrible boyfriend I had at the time was always so psyched that we survived incredibly dangerous trips. And being 100 ft deep in the blue hole surrounded by sharks just made me want to get the hell away from this group. They'd always have to bring surfboards in the wings and piles of gear to go out to Abaco, etc.
Later in life, when I was commuting on the NYC subways, there'd always be these guys with their bikes--with the cleets, helmets, padded butts--taking up enormous space and time and getting tire marks on the shins of girls in pantyhose and pumps. To which they always say "pshh", instead of "I'm so sorry." Their shin was in the way of their greatness.
That was when it hit me. These guys are exactly like that boyfriend and his band of other narcissists; some were just passive-aggressive and others straight-up sociopathic thrill-seekers.
HAHA. I'm a stick-in-the-mud. (speaking of stick in the mud. It took us 3 days of poling to get through the backcountry mud out to cape sable. So fun. NOT!!)

I live among some pro surfers now. Actually can appreciate their talents and lifestyle from the pleasant gentle repose on the beach. :): ?

Hesperian

@Regina what about St. Augustine I think on the Atlantic coast more up north?

I heard it the oldest city in USA and a destination place.
Historic St. Augustine is really nice, but very expensive. Once you leave that small downtown area it quickly becomes a dump.

OP
B

Birdie

I'm posting this news but it looks like a very minor stand to me.

? It looks like grocery-giant Publix read the room and took a stand, even if just a little one. Yesterday, the Tampa Bay Times ran a story headlined, “Publix Won’t Give COVID Vaccine to Children Under 5.” The sub-headline complained darkly, “The Lakeland grocery chain said it will not explain its decision ‘at this time.’”

For those of you who don’t live in Florida, Publix dominates grocery stores. We LOVE Publix. If you live in Florida, chances are there’s always a Publix within a few blocks, and chances are you’re in a Publix daily. They’re super-clean, well organized, friendly, and give great customer service. In addition to groceries, Publix offers bakery, deli, meats, sushi, pharmacy, you name it, plus some of the best fried chicken you can get anywhere.

It IS the South, after all.

From the beginning, Publix participated full-on in the vaccine campaign, even to the extent that Florida dems accused the Governor of favoring Publix with jab contracts, since the Lakeland grocery chain is perceived as “skewing towards” conservative political candidates, although I’m not sure that’s actually true.

According to the Times, Publix announced yesterday that its pharmacies will NOT be vaccinating very young children aged four and under. Publix’s website offers jabs only for kids five and up. And the chain offers flu shots to kids aged 6 months and up.

But not mRNA jabs, not for toddlers and infants.

Publix clearly frustrated the Times by passing on the chance to explain to reporters exactly WHY it won’t jab the littles. But do you blame it? Whatever its reasoning, there is nothing Publix could say about this without creating a conflagration of controversy with one caterwauling group or another. Publix doesn’t have to explain its policy, and, for now, it isn’t.

This may be the first large American corporation to buck the narrative. It’s the first one to feature media coverage, at least.

David PS

I'm posting this news but it looks like a very minor stand to me.

? It looks like grocery-giant Publix read the room and took a stand, even if just a little one. Yesterday, the Tampa Bay Times ran a story headlined, “Publix Won’t Give COVID Vaccine to Children Under 5.” The sub-headline complained darkly, “The Lakeland grocery chain said it will not explain its decision ‘at this time.’”

For those of you who don’t live in Florida, Publix dominates grocery stores. We LOVE Publix. If you live in Florida, chances are there’s always a Publix within a few blocks, and chances are you’re in a Publix daily. They’re super-clean, well organized, friendly, and give great customer service. In addition to groceries, Publix offers bakery, deli, meats, sushi, pharmacy, you name it, plus some of the best fried chicken you can get anywhere.

It IS the South, after all.

From the beginning, Publix participated full-on in the vaccine campaign, even to the extent that Florida dems accused the Governor of favoring Publix with jab contracts, since the Lakeland grocery chain is perceived as “skewing towards” conservative political candidates, although I’m not sure that’s actually true.

According to the Times, Publix announced yesterday that its pharmacies will NOT be vaccinating very young children aged four and under. Publix’s website offers jabs only for kids five and up. And the chain offers flu shots to kids aged 6 months and up.

But not mRNA jabs, not for toddlers and infants.

Publix clearly frustrated the Times by passing on the chance to explain to reporters exactly WHY it won’t jab the littles. But do you blame it? Whatever its reasoning, there is nothing Publix could say about this without creating a conflagration of controversy with one caterwauling group or another. Publix doesn’t have to explain its policy, and, for now, it isn’t.

This may be the first large American corporation to buck the narrative. It’s the first one to feature media coverage, at least.

Publix is following the data and not the hype.

OP
B

Birdie

Publix is following the data and not the hype.
That's good. Better than otherwise. I see that they can't do more. A little is better than nothing !

This sure was smart:
"Publix clearly frustrated the Times by passing on the chance to explain to reporters exactly WHY it won’t jab the littles. But do you blame it? Whatever its reasoning, there is nothing Publix could say about this without creating a conflagration of controversy with one caterwauling group or another. Publix doesn’t have to explain its policy, and, for now, it isn’t." Jeff Childers

David PS

I would vote for an extremist like this man.
1656001708420.png

Last edited:

David PS

Inaut

Sometimes I wonder if the PTB are setting traps by "encouraging" migration to specific red states like Florida (and Texas) because of their more conservative stance of social issues, simply to control and/or decimate a larger portion of the population at a later time with "natural" disasters. It's just kinda in the back of my mind especially when I think of Florida.

Regina

Sometimes I wonder if the PTB are setting traps by "encouraging" migration to specific red states like Florida (and Texas) because of their more conservative stance of social issues, simply to control and/or decimate a larger portion of the population at a later time with "natural" disasters. It's just kinda in the back of my mind especially when I think of Florida.
100% legit concern. Florida coastline for 50 miles inland is supposed to be taken out with a tidal wave, as per the NASA document I have linked several times.

Some say DeSantis is controlled opp

I'm not saying I am a believer. I am saying the concern is legit.

OP
B

Birdie

Inaut and Regina, I've had the same thought regarding planned communities for seniors.

Lollipop2

100% legit concern. Florida coastline for 50 miles inland is supposed to be taken out with a tidal wave, as per the NASA document I have linked several times.

Some say DeSantis is controlled opp

I'm not saying I am a believer. I am saying the concern is legit.
That was certainly a rabbit hole…

OP
B

Birdie

I went through the linked article (imo turnoff format there) and here is one comment I thought was interesting:
The governor tapped Publix to become a key part of Florida’s vaccine rollout in early 2021. By that April, the grocery chain was the single largest vaccine supplier in Florida and was getting nearly a quarter of the state’s doses.

The company is Florida’s largest private employer and a regular donor to political campaigns of both major political parties, though its donations skew Republican. It donated $100,000 to Gov. Ron DeSantis’s political committee in early 2021.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom