Florida: What's going on. A thread for news updates.

Inaut

Other than the low elevation, Florida is beautiful and everything grows like crazy.
The whole place is practically empty north of Palm Beach county.

I do not find it "unlivably hot" (as Ray once said). Mid-June and it is lovely out with cool evening breezes.

Lots of little towns I've never heard of:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3b44iF2mWY

I know you probably answered this already but what are some good areas to live in Florida in your opinion?

Regina

I know you probably answered this already but what are some good areas to live in Florida in your opinion?
It depends on a person's circumstance and priorities.
By circumstance, I mean economic means and prospects, independence, skills, goals and support network (friends/family in the area?, a business you could work for??).
Houses and rent are very expensive right now, but that market is getting whacked.
Sadly, there are going to be many foreclosures. People who bit off more than they could chew in a rapacious frothy market who also don't have a plan to keep income flowing.
I don't know all of FL. I'm not that familiar with the panhandle.
Cities are always area by area. I know Miami very very well. I happen to like it but it's probably because I went to high school there and have family there. Boca also and Ft. Lauderdale somewhat.
I'm closer to Orlando now, though I don't know that city very well.
Sarasota is very nice. We have friends moving there now but they have solid means and a toddler they want to 'tiger mom'. They chose Sarasota sight unclean because of a magnate school for the kid.
As far as land like that in the video I posted, it's everywhere north of PBch county.
If you draw a line connecting Tampa to Jacksonville, most everything in between looks like that video.

If you can be more specific, I might have better answers.

toolhead

Other than the low elevation, Florida is beautiful and everything grows like crazy.
The whole place is practically empty north of Palm Beach county.

I do not find it "unlivably hot" (as Ray once said). Mid-June and it is lovely out with cool evening breezes.

Lots of little towns I've never heard of:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3b44iF2mWY

It can be brutally hot during summer if you work outside. Other than that , there is always air conditioning (for now)

OP
B

Birdie

? An article in the Miami Standard this weekend is headlined, “Fort Bragg Lost Over 80 Soldiers From ‘Sudden’ And ‘Unexplained’ Causes, And Stopped Reporting On The Deaths After June 2021.”

The Miami Standard reported that the military can’t explain why dozens of young, healthy soldiers are dying on base in their bunks at Fort Bragg, home to about 52,000 servicemen. On February 9, 2022, Rolling Stone Magazine investigative reporter Seth Harp reported the mysterious deaths of 83 soldiers at Fort Bragg in the 18 months ending in June 2021.

For some reason, Fort Bragg stopped reporting the fatalities after June 2021, but the bodies keep piling up. Out of the 83 “sudden and unexpected” fatalities, only eleven were determined to be from natural causes.

Reporter Harp provided some examples. In January of 2021, Army captain Robert Latham died suddenly of an “apparent heart attack.” The 32-year-old was previously in top physical condition. A Green Beret named Calvin Rockward passed away from a “sudden, unexpected medical event,” whatever that is. The 38-year-old was also in excellent shape. Nine more young and fit soldiers were found “unresponsive” in their bunks.

Corporate media usually loves a good “mysterious killer” story, but not this one. I wonder why?

David PS

David PS

1655724103477.png

OP
B

Birdie

News from Florida resident Mike Yeadon

Florida is a ****88 up state that pretends to be better than the rest...

Look up Myron May and that "serial killer" in that Monster film

They basically have no $ coming in unless it's Mickey Mouse or military industrial complex bull****

Regina

Florida is a ****88 up state that pretends to be better than the rest...

Look up Myron May and that "serial killer" in that Monster film

They basically have no $ coming in unless it's Mickey Mouse or military industrial complex bull****
There's also drug $$. ?

Florida is the best US state and one of the best in the world. It has a government that is smaller and more frugal than most because of no income tax. Nothing is perfect and all governments suck, but Florida has less that sucks.

News is that housing is rolling over due to payments that have almost doubled over the rising interest rates. But Florida is still desirable for many people in the Northeast who keep moving to Florida.

Inaut

Florida is the best US state and one of the best in the world. It has a government that is smaller and more frugal than most because of no income tax. Nothing is perfect and all governments suck, but Florida has less that sucks.

News is that housing is rolling over due to payments that have almost doubled over the rising interest rates. But Florida is still desirable for many people in the Northeast who keep moving to Florida.
Will be waiting for it to roll over (as with the rest of the real estate market in North America... Maybe I will be able to buy a nice place in florida then :)

@Regina have you been to Deerfield before? My parents were looking at real estate there and wonder what your thoughts are. I believe it's on the Atlantic side and I'd much rather be on the Gulf...

Regina

Will be waiting for it to roll over (as with the rest of the real estate market in North America... Maybe I will be able to buy a nice place in florida then :)

@Regina have you been to Deerfield before? My parents were looking at real estate there and wonder what your thoughts are. I believe it's on the Atlantic side and I'd much rather be on the Gulf...
Yes! Deerfield is just under Boca/Pompano, but in Broward County (not Palm Beach County).
My friends live in Lighthouse Point. He's a RE developer. So I don't know if they love it or promote it for business.
It's always been a bit under the radar for as long as I can remember. So, I don't know it that well. It was a pass-through town on my to work when I was younger.

Lollipop2

@Regina what about St. Augustine I think on the Atlantic coast more up north?

I heard it the oldest city in USA and a destination place.

Regina

@Regina what about St. Augustine I think on the Atlantic coast more up north?

I heard it the oldest city in USA and a destination place.
Yep. St. Augustine is quite nice. South of Jax.
I'd check the demographic and RE dev. If it is nothing but old people, etc...

I'll probably do a day trip there in a few weeks and report back. :):

Lollipop2

Yep. St. Augustine is quite nice. South of Jax.
I'd check the demographic and RE dev. If it is nothing but old people, etc...

I'll probably do a day trip there in a few weeks and report back. :):
Awesome! Thank you. I will look at the demographics - seems like an interesting place…

Back
Top Bottom