Florida: What's going on. A thread for news updates.

OP
B

Birdie

DeSantis wasn’t intimidated by Warren’s lawsuit.

“It’s not surprising Warren, who was suspended for refusing to follow the law, would file a legally baseless lawsuit challenging his suspension,” DeSantis’ comms director Taryn Fenske said in a statement, according to Fox News. “We look forward to responding in court.”

OP
B

Birdie

Not big Florida news, but news in Florida:

🔥 Earlier this week, a federal judge in the Northern District of Florida dismissed a lawsuit against me and Governor DeSantis, that was filed by former school board member Diyonne McGraw. The gist was that last year, I filed a lawsuit as part of an effort to remove her from office since McGraw lived about 300 feet outside her school board district. Once I got an order from the judge finding that she did not live in her district, the Governor helpfully declared her seat vacant and appointed her replacement.

Understandably unhappy about being removed, Ms. McGraw sued me and the Governor, alleging that we’d conspired to violate her civil rights by depriving her of her “right to vote” or something. It took several months, and she got two tries to plead a legitimate claim, but now it’s all done.

I’m not sure McGraw ever believed she could win the lawsuit. The process is the punishment. It’s intended to discourage lawyers like me from taking these kinds of cases. In this case, it didn’t work, because for me, it just makes it personal, and making it personal just makes me work that much harder. So. "

OP
B

Birdie

🔥 "Fox ran a story yesterday headlined, “Florida Prosecutor Andrew Warren Sues Gov. Ron DeSantis Over Suspension.” Last month, Governor DeSantis suspended Tampa District Attorney Andrew Warren because he’d publicly said he was refusing to prosecute duly-enacted Florida laws banning CRT and grooming in schools, and even sent out a departmental policy describing a “presumption of non-enforcement” for a list of crimes.

The governor’s executive order removing him said that “these statements prove that Warren thinks he has authority to defy the Florida Legislature and nullify in his jurisdiction criminal laws with which he disagrees[.]” Calling Warren “one of these Soros prosecutors,” DeSantis suspended him for failing to do his duty and for incompetence, and appointed an interim replacement.

Now, of course, Warren has sued DeSantis, alleging the Governor violated his First Amendment right to say whatever dumb thing occurs to his little pea brain. His lawsuit tracks another lawsuit of dishonor, that of cowardly Sheriff Scott Israel, who DeSantis removed for refusing to let his officers enter a Broward school during an active shooting. I suspect Warren’s lawsuit will end the same way as Israel’s, who isn’t a sheriff anymore, is he?"

ibid.

OP
B

Birdie

Gov. Ron DeSantis on pace to break gubernatorial fundraising record - OpenSecrets News

August 16, 2022 3:30 pm

Amid rumblings of a potential 2024 presidential bid, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ (R) political operation raised $165.6 million since 2019, the year he took office. DeSantis already set a new record for gubernatorial fundraising without candidate self-financing and is about $11 million away away from raising more money than any gubernatorial candidate in recent decades as of Aug. 5.

During the first seven months of 2022, DeSantis’ campaign raised nearly $22 million a new OpenSecrets analysis of campaign reports filed Aug. 12 found. His state-level PAC, Friends of Ron DeSantis, brought in about $67.2 million during the same period. While DeSantis’ campaign and PAC are technically two different political committees, they are two halves of the same war chest.

In addition to the Republican Governors Association’s nearly $17.4 million in contributions to his PAC, the Florida governor’s PAC has drawn millions of dollars in contributions from GOP megadonors. Budget Suites hotel mogul Robert Bigelow contributed $10 million to DeSantis’ political operation this cycle, and Ken Griffin, CEO of the hedge fund Citadel, gave $5 million. GOP megadonor Richard Uihlein, billionaire founder of the shipping and business supply company Uline, and his wife contributed over $1.2 million.

Former Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner (R), a prodigious self-financer who gave almost $95 million to his own 2014 and 2018 gubernatorial campaigns, also gave $660,000 to DeSantis’ PAC this election cycle.

I believe neither Ken Griffin, who is moving from Illinois to Florida, and Former IL Governor Bruce Rauner have contributed to the GOP nominee for Illinois Governor.

David PS

This is the image that may have cost Dukakis a Presidential election.

Perry Staltic

This is the image that may have cost Dukakis a Presidential election.

Dukakis was already tanking in the polls before that photo, but it's used as an excuse for his fall because everyone laughed at him in that tank because it so contrasted with his personality. No one laughs at DeSantis acting like a tough guy because that's what he is.

OP
B

Birdie

David PS

Dukakis was already tanking in the polls before that photo, but it's used as an excuse for his fall because everyone laughed at him in that tank because it so contrasted with his personality. No one laughs at DeSantis acting like a tough guy because that's what he is.
trump supporters are copy catting the tough guy image as well.
1661288253491.png

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom