Flea And Tick Solution That Isn't . Crazy Toxic?

managing

Obviously the "standard" flea and tick repellents for animals (in this case a dog) are crazy toxic.

Any suggestions that are not?

puella

I'm interested in this too.

We will put geranium oil on our dog's harness, where the fabric is thicker, when going on more remote hikes & it seems to help. Essential oils scare me almost as much as other chemicals, & why I wouldn't ever put it on her skin, but feel better about it than permethrin.

I'm curious about the sonic/frequency tags as well (wouldn't work for our cats though since they refuse to wear collars)

Last edited:

Regina

Obviously the "standard" flea and tick repellents for animals (in this case a dog) are crazy toxic.

Any suggestions that are not?
I use this on my dog:
Cedarwood Natural Flea & Tick Spray for Pets + Home | Wondercide
I am in central Florida summer; I have not seen a flea on him.
So very impressed.
I doubt it is good for him. But considering the neighboring dogs double up with Frontline AND Comfortis and still scratch themselves constantly, I'm sticking with the cedar oil.

OP
managing

managing

Some good ideas so far. Will be trying them out. Keep em coming.

Mossy

I'm going through this right now. I have a cat, so they're more sensitive to essential oils, or so I've read. Even so, wanting to avoid drugs, I added some (cedar and clove) to water and coconut oil, but that did not help. Granted, I used a small amount of oils. Based on the product that Regina posted, maybe I needed a larger percentage of oil--they use 5.7% cedarwood.

I bought a flea comb and that took a ton of fleas off my cat, but it's not a permanent solution, as you'd have to do this every day. Ultimately, at my wits end, I gave in and bought Vectra flea medicine--a drug. It eliminated 100% of the fleas on my cat within 24 hours, and he had a lot. I did not notice any negative side effects.

I'll try the larger % of cedarwood oil next, but I'll use the Vectra again if that fails.

akgrrrl

Coconut oil then essential oils on top. The list is huge of oils to use cedarwood, peppermint, geranium rosemary...combinations too, oils are not scary

OP
managing

managing

A lot of these are great ideas. The problem we are having is our dog is a bichon frise. Her hair is like a sheep at the end of the winter. The oils just disperse throughout. Its gross. We don't want to touch her and we don't want her on the furniture!

Mossy

A lot of these are great ideas. The problem we are having is our dog is a bichon frise. Her hair is like a sheep at the end of the winter. The oils just disperse throughout. Its gross. We don't want to touch her and we don't want her on the furniture!
Like with sheep, can you cut the hair down, for better application, then apply oils or medicine? I know you don't want to use drugs, which is my perspective as well, but that Vectra was miraculous. They make it for dogs as well. My thought is to now pursue the problem naturally, with oils, since I've brought the problem back to neutral, with the Vectra product.

OP
managing

managing

Like with sheep, can you cut the hair down, for better application, then apply oils or medicine? I know you don't want to use drugs, which is my perspective as well, but that Vectra was miraculous. They make it for dogs as well. My thought is to now pursue the problem naturally, with oils, since I've brought the problem back to neutral, with the Vectra product.
That is my idea. My wife isn't sold on it yet :):. But now that I've stopped her using Frontline, maybe we'll get there!

“Fleas are a common problem in household pets, and treating them can be costly and time-consuming (10).

There are several flea-removal products on the market, but many contain harsh chemicals and can produce unwanted side effects.

Luckily, fleas don’t seem to like coffee, and you may want to consider coffee grounds as a natural treatment.

Simply rub the grounds throughout your pet’s fur after shampooing. Then rinse them off and allow your pet to dry as usual.

Some say doing this may also add smoothness and shine to your pet’s coat, but there is little to no research to support either of these claims.

However, coffee grounds may be less effective than a prescription product, so if your pet has fleas and this treatment does not work, you may want to contact a vet to discuss alternative options.

Also, coffee grounds should only be used externally. They can be toxic to dogs if consumed.“