Fixing Chronic Constipation Thread

what seems to be helping me is:

triphala powder, 4g, taken in 2 divided doses

thyroid as usual

1/8th to 1/4 teaspoon of cascara sagrada

500mg elemental of magnesium via magnesium carbonate

A few tablespoons of well cooked mushrooms

All that gives me two bowel movements per day, well formed, without strain.

This is only about a week but I will update this a month or two from now and if you care to share what's worked for you, that is greatly appreciated.

Maljam

The main offenders for me were removing dietary opioids, for me this was cows dairy and wheat. (Travis is a genius) Coupled with mild/moderate exercise (brisk walking) this has eliminated my chronic constipation.

Have you considered that something like cascara is merely a band aid and you aren't fixing the root of the problem? IMO you shouldn't have to take 5 things to fix this.

ilhanxx

hardly chewing in mouth help me a lot. chewing until meal come liquid form.

Maljam

hardly chewing in mouth help me a lot. chewing until meal come liquid form.

Oh yes, throughly chewing foods is an incredibly underrated way to improve digestion. The flipside of this, too much liquids, resulting in a lack of volume and absence of chewing doesn't work for a lot of people.

M

metabolizm

What are you eating?

I’m starting to think that a low-fibre diet can reduce constipation, contrary to what the media promotes.

laleto12

starch, especially wheat, constipates and bloats me a lot.

edit: i should add that i sh*t like crazy if i increasy my fruit fiber :D At some point it was very annoying so i cut down the amount of the fiber that i eat.

Last edited:
OP
ecstatichamster
The main offenders for me were removing dietary opioids, for me this was cows dairy and wheat. (Travis is a genius) Coupled with mild/moderate exercise (brisk walking) this has eliminated my chronic constipation.

Have you considered that something like cascara is merely a band aid and you aren't fixing the root of the problem? IMO you shouldn't have to take 5 things to fix this.

I have but I don't want to give up dairy.

OP
ecstatichamster
What are you eating?

I’m starting to think that a low-fibre diet can reduce constipation, contrary to what the media promotes.

about 1/2 gallon of milk
cheese
maybe 4 - 6 ounces of lean fish, chicken, beef or lamb
occasional liver and/or oysters
a few tortillas
orange juice
ripe fruit when I can get it (all summer but not for the last week)

Maljam

I have but I don't want to give up dairy.

Have you tried goat dairy? Doesn't have anywhere near the same opioid potential, according to Travis's posts, which my bowel movements agree with. Constipation is a sign the dairy isn't agreeing with you, and consciously masking over that with a bunch of supps isn't a good idea IMO.

OP
ecstatichamster
Have you tried goat dairy? Doesn't have anywhere near the same opioid potential, according to Travis's posts, which my bowel movements agree with. Constipation is a sign the dairy isn't agreeing with you, and consciously masking over that with a bunch of supps isn't a good idea IMO.

I haven't. I am lactose intolerant and it's not easy plus goat dairy is very expensive, although that isn't the major issue. I could try it.

gaze

about 1/2 gallon of milk
cheese
a few tortillas
orange juice

I have a similar diet and have had similar issues as you, here’s the major problem I have which is that I feel great up until consuming exactly that amount of food, around 2 quarts milk, 1 quart or a little more orange juice, egg, cheese some meat or fish, butter, basically the prime peat diet. However those foods that I mentioned only reaches like 1800 calories or so, and then trying to add another 600 so I don’t undereat things get difficult. Because more milk or orange juice gives me too much liquid, too much cheese doesn’t have enough b vitamins, too much meat or fish is too much phosphorus, so basically the options are white sugar, a lot more fat, or starch. All of which I don’t really crave which leads to a little bit of underrating, and the under eating leads to constipation. How many calories do you usually get ?

opson123

I've noticed a pretty common trend here is that many that do well on lots of dairy also drink lots of coffee, which is an opioid antagonist. Ray himself being a great example of a high coffee and milk drinker. tca300 is an exception to this though.

Most things that speed up transit time, also make my poop loose. Faster transit time caused by irritating foods or supplements have never worked for me. This rules out most things so I just poop less often since it's less painful.

@ecstatichamster Do you drink coffee?

Last edited:
OP
ecstatichamster
I have a similar diet and have had similar issues as you, here’s the major problem I have which is that I feel great up until consuming exactly that amount of food, around 2 quarts milk, 1 quart or a little more orange juice, egg, cheese some meat or fish, butter, basically the prime peat diet. However those foods that I mentioned only reaches like 1800 calories or so, and then trying to add another 600 so I don’t undereat things get difficult. Because more milk or orange juice gives me too much liquid, too much cheese doesn’t have enough b vitamins, too much meat or fish is too much phosphorus, so basically the options are white sugar, a lot more fat, or starch. All of which I don’t really crave which leads to a little bit of underrating, and the under eating leads to constipation. How many calories do you usually get ?

i don’t know. Probably 3000 kcal a day.

Maljam

about 1/2 gallon of milk
cheese
a few tortillas
orange juice

If you are lactose intolerant why is the vast majority of your diet milk? Also, I'm not surprised you are constipated, your diet is pretty much exactly what I would create if I would want to give someone constipation for some reason.

1. Almost entirely liquid, you need to actually eat something, chewing stimulates the digestion, so does the mixing with saliva, something not done with liquids.
2. Vast majority from cows milk (opioids, see Travis's posts)
3. Far too much calcium in relation to magnesium
4. Barely any fibre
5. Looks low fat

I'm sorry if this offends you but I think your diet is a prime example of someone following Peat to the extreme, rather than common sense.

Vins7

Did you change cows dairy for Fiat dairy or other type of dairy?
I want to fix this and other digestive issues but I wouldn't like to remove all type of dairy.
The problem is cosa dairy or all type of dairy?

Vins7

If you are lactose intolerant why is the vast majority of your diet milk? Also, I'm not surprised you are constipated, your diet is pretty much exactly what I would create if I would want to give someone constipation for some reason.

1. Almost entirely liquid, you need to actually eat something, chewing stimulates the digestion, so does the mixing with saliva, something not done with liquids.
4. Barely any fibre
5. Looks low fat

I'm sorry if this offends you but I think your diet is a prime example of someone following Peat to the extreme, rather than common sense.
What foods rich in magnesium do you eat for not having too much calcium yo magnesium?

Maljam

What foods rich in magnesium do you eat for not having too much calcium yo magnesium?

The usual foods and sometimes magnesium bicarbonate water, magnesium chloride topically. I don't drink excessive amounts of milk though, so for the most part I don't really think about it.

OP
ecstatichamster

4. Barely any fibre
5. Looks low fat

I appreciate your thoughts very much.