Fish

Velve921

I have been Peating for 6 months...however I've still been eating meat once a day. Now I will be switching to meat only 1-2 times a week and doing more white fish. Has anyone noticed major results from cutting back on meat?

Mittir

I felt a lot better when i switched from a steak based diet to mainly
dairy based eating. I had milk intolerance for a long time.
I eat some meat or fish everyday. I have noticed that if i add some extra calcium
whenever i eat meat or fish i do not feel bad. Calcium balances the excess phosphorus
in meat or fish. It also blocks heme and non-heme iron. Eating some gelatine with
meat, fish, liver etc balances the amino acids ratio. Tryptophan, cystein and metionine
are high in those kind of protein and these are ant-thyroid protein.
Casein and gelatine have many extra benefits compared to other source of protein.
Milk has high tryptophan but it is a complete food and made a huge difference in
my health. But, if you can not digest milk properly then it is harmful.

Edit: I have just realized that extra calcium should divert tryptophan in
meat and fish to niacin path than serotonin path. RP has mentioned calcium
in milk does the same and that is why milk is good even with high tryptophan.
Calcium is doing a lot of things to make meat a better protein.

pboy

well I stopped eating meat way before reading about Peats work, and yes it was quite a profound difference...since then I think ive had it twice (past 4 years) as for reference experience, and got guilted into eating out with the fam once. Theres no actual benefit to it unless you are somehow in a situation where that is all you can eat for specific nutrients. It does wonders for your outlook on life, more than anything else. It basically turns the entire structure of society and the way people view 'progress in life' and 'rank' and all that upside down, when you realize you don't need to harm anything to live abundantly. Not only that, but it changes your attitude from go out and compete and hunt for limited resources, to plant your own seeds and grow abundantly to give on your own piece of land

honestly though, nutritionally, its overkill and unnecessary and has a lot of risks and is expensive

the body mind adapts also, I don't know if all the meat microbes that may have once been in my gut are all gone now, but meat doesn't even register as food to me now...no matter what craving I have, it never looks appetizing. It just seems like bland fiberous difficult to chew byproduct...its kind of a trip living in a society where its everywhere, it seems weird now when I see people using a knife and fork or like chewing through meat...its like...why?

jaa

I've had the opposite experience that you have pboy. I started eating meat after 20+ years of being vegetarian. I feel much better on a meat based diet, though I haven't tried a Peat based vegetarian diet. I have no ethical issues with eating most meat, and where I live it's beneficial to humans and the ecosystem to keep the moose population down. I also think it would be very difficult to get zinc, copper, glycine, vitamin a, and selenium to name a few without being a meat eater. I have low meat days from time to time on a Peat diet and find it very difficult to get enough protein. There is only so much dairy I can stomach in a day. So I guess I chew through meat because it's the only way I know how to get the nutrition. I'm curious what do you eat in a typical day?

pboy

its harder because you have to think and be aware! ( I could go on a tangent on this, a serious problem for society at large...99% of things are done unconsciously) But because im used to cooking my own food, preparing my own everything...and am a number cruncher, its no big deal. Its fun in a way. I do fine on 50g protein so I don't think its really that hard at all...though often I get a little more

Bout half a gallon of whole milk, maybe 7-8zoz sugar, lot of green tea, lot of cocoa, rest is variable...well cooked peeled tubers, I prefer sweet potatoes of various colors and sometimes carrots. Yerba mate on occasion. Palm oil, high vitamin C camu berry, ripe melon if I can find them...honeydew, cantaloupe, or other muskmelon

simple easy and complete nutritionally, and balanced...it might seem like no biggie but theres more than a PHD's worth of work and intelligence, and more, in coming to that

you can point this out to people, but they don't want to accept the situation of their life at large that they are doing non optimal, harmful, even haneous things on a day to day basis. If you live somewhere where you must survive on meat, it makes sense to do that as opposed to freezing or starving. But if you live in a city, its kind of silly and indicates many things

I love and respect anyone anyways, the world has a way of making people do many things their soul may not want to, we all have to grow and what not...its no biggie if you do eat meat, I just think people would honestly be WAY happier, and healthier, and communicate better, without it...so I like to be proof of a living example, and I don't need to eat any dumb stuff...harsh things, no vegetables, acidic fruit, harsh spices, tofu, beans, nuts, seeds...none of the stuff people don't wanna eat by choice most of the time

jaa

Thanks for sharing.

I was eating a lot of legumes, nuts and vegetable oils, so comparing how I felt on a vegetarian diet to even a paleo diet is probably not fair. I could definitely see myself moving towards a more plant based diet. I don't think I'd ever get sick of cheese + coconut oil + potato + salt combos. I will certainly eat oysters until I develop an allergy as the amount of harm done by killing them seems less than swatting a fly. I think scallops are pretty low on the conciousness scale as well and would be a great way to get glycine and selenium.

I find it a bit surprising you consume palm oil (I assume for the vit A and E?). Doesn't each bottle equal a dead baby orangutan?

jaa said:
Thanks for sharing.

I was eating a lot of legumes, nuts and vegetable oils, so comparing how I felt on a vegetarian diet to even a paleo diet is probably not fair. I could definitely see myself moving towards a more plant based diet. I don't think I'd ever get sick of cheese + coconut oil + potato + salt combos. I will certainly eat oysters until I develop an allergy as the amount of harm done by killing them seems less than swatting a fly. I think scallops are pretty low on the conciousness scale as well and would be a great way to get glycine and selenium.

I find it a bit surprising you consume palm oil (I assume for the vit A and E?). Doesn't each bottle equal a dead baby orangutan?

I'm not sure coconut oil is much better.

pboy

I use the organic fair trade from Ecuador...though I hear the mainstream commercial palm oil is part of deforestation in indonesia...but a lot of things sadly are. I dont think its acceptable really...that's why with everything I consume I try to check its background, where it comes from and stuff. Yea without liver, palm oil supplements vit A and E...Im careful with the beta carotene, so I don't eat it all the time, only the bare minimum to get enough vit A (I assume with palm oil about 200% beta carotene = around 90% or so vit A). On occasion I eat the orange sweet potatos, most of the time just the white ones, but if I eat that I wont add palm oil, or carrots..i just keep it moderate low. I think its only an issue if you overdo it and have low thyroid to begin with...and from the milk im still getting around 40-50% vit A preformed, so I don't sweat it. Its worth it to me to not have to eat liver. And indeed, shellfish are pretty much no conscience offense...so id say theyre all good, not really an environmental issue for the most part either. Ive heard of many cases of people being full out vegan and doing fine with shellfish (though they are probably slowly hurting their bones and calcifying if they don't get enough calcium). Yea man I agree...mainline vegan or vegetarian, the advice and what people generally eat on that diet, is more harmful than a regular diet with everything, or even paleo. That's why most people stop doing it...but it can be done. I saw videos of shaolin monks...the stuff they can do, and indian martial artists (who are all vegetarian)...looked at a lot of ayurvedic works, then kind of over the years balanced it all out. I gotta say though Ray Peat was the one who really made it all come together for me, the principles...physiology, balances...I mean theres so much, and it all made sense as to why I was unsuccessful before

jaa

Thanks again pboy! Eating a low to no meat diet seems a lot more doable to me now than it did this morning.

pboy

awesome...take it easy on yourself, but if you feel self motivated towards such, go for it

the thing I like about peatarians is they recognize that meat is sort of imbalanced and only eat as much as they have to, so they aren't like meat heads or paleo or anything, and it all makes sense nutritionally. I think that's why a lot of people here tend to communicate better...they understand why they do everything they do...not just unconsciously doing things. I think as long as people do that...that's a huge, huge improvement over the mainstream. Wishing the best

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals