Fisetin, anyone?

Heard more and more about this. I have been using it for a few months. Haven’t noticed anything.

Michael Mohn

Peat mentioned fisetin a few times in combination with quinones as a treatment against cancer.
It seems to have some good properties like anti cancer, anti inflammation etc.
I justify my (expensive) strawberry consumption with the health benefit of fisetin but I'm tired of supplements so I won't buy it.
Interestingly a lot of pregnant women crave strawberries I guess fisetin might play an important role in pregnancy.

Mauritio

Heard more and more about this. I have been using it for a few months. Haven’t noticed anything.
Are you still using it? Any effect on sleep quality /schedule?

Mauritio

It seems to have an effect on serotonin and it inhibits MAO-A .

But it also seems to be a D2 agonist (cool that they acknowledge that D2 agonism suppreses liver cancer cells)

"Fisetin is also reported to increase the dopamine level in the striatum of 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6,-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) mouse model of PD (Maher, 2017). "

"The alpha and beta diversity analyses showed that the fisetin intervented MPTP group gut microbiota exhibited a significantly higher abundance of Lachnospiraceae and a significantly lower abundance of uncultured_bacterium_g_Escherichia-Shigella and uncultured_bacterium_g_Bacillus than the MPTP group gut microbiota."

Last edited:

Mauritio

"Interestingly, fisetin possesses higher affinity for the AR than dihydrotestosterone (30). "

"Fisetin reduced gonadotropin-stimulated progesterone synthesis dose-dependently, and in this manner, fisetin impaired progesterone production when added to BPA-treated GCs. The mechanisms of the inhibitory effects of the combinations included a significant down-regulation of the key steroidogenesis-related genes (STAR, CYP11A1, HSD3B). Our findings suggest for the first time that fisetin might interfere with ovarian steroidogenesis, and might not have beneficial but rather aggravating effects in terms of modulating progesterone synthesis altered by high concentrations of BPA."

Mauritio

This might be one of the most powerful ways through which fisetin decreases aging symptoms.
It decreases downstream conversion of PUFA into inflammatory molecules like prostaglandins .

White = levels of young mice
Red = levels of old mice
Light red = levels of old mice + fisetin
20211008_193711.jpg

(Fisetin Reduces the Impact of Aging on Behavior and Physiology in the Rapidly Aging SAMP8 Mouse - PubMed)

Last edited:

Mauritio

Great find. Thank you.
You're welcome .

Have you tried high doses ?
Some people seem to do really well on cyclic high doses .

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMotte/comments/mv9lxz/wellness_wednesday_for_april_21_2021/gvb2kn2?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

Jam

Mauritio

I have taken 50 mg 2 hours ago . And to my surprise I noticed that my brain fog cleared and my mood improved. Also my face looks "younger" for a lack of better words .

I didnt expect to feel anything because im still relatively young and most people get results from doses >1g ,but I decided to take 50mg to see how it suits me .
Ofc this is just the first day, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm quite positive that the biggest benefit of fisetin is the opposition of PUFA (as shown above) and Iron (it blocks ferroptosis ).

Jam

Abstract​

Flavonoids, which are polyphenolic compounds, have been reported to possess remarkable antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. Among the dietary flavonoids, fisetin (3,3′,4′,7-tetrahydroxyflavone) possesses a significant spectrum of biochemical and pharmacological actions. The present study aimed to investigate the antidepressant potential of fisetin and its possible mechanism. Two mouse models of despair tests were used to evaluate the antidepressant-like effect of fisetin. The results suggested that fisetin (10 and 20 mg/kg, p.o.) dose dependently inhibited the immobility time in both behavioral tests, while the doses that affected the immobile response did not affect locomotor activity. Two behavioral models, reserpine-induced hypothermia and ptosis, and p-chlorophenylalanine (PCPA)-induced depletion of serotonin, were used to explore the possible involvement of fisetin in the noradrenergic and serotonergic system. The higher dose of fisetin was found to effectively antagonize the hypothermia, but not ptosis, induced by reserpine. Pre-treatment with PCPA abolished the anti-immobility effect of fisetin in the forced swimming and tail suspension tests. Moreover, neurochemical assays showed that fisetin produced an increase in serotonin and noradrenaline levels in the frontal cortex and hippocampus. Monoamine oxidase (MAO) activity in the mouse brain was inhibited by 14.7% after treatment with fisetin, while MAO-B activity was not affected. These findings indicate that the antidepressant-like effect of fisetin involves the regulation of the central serotonin and noradrenaline levels.

Highlights​

Fisetin exerts antidepressant-like effect in mouse models of despair tests. ► The serotonin and noradrenaline levels were increased after fisetin treatment. ► Inhibition of MAO-A may enhance the activity of monoamines, but not MAO-B.

Mauritio

Abstract​

Flavonoids, which are polyphenolic compounds, have been reported to possess remarkable antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. Among the dietary flavonoids, fisetin (3,3′,4′,7-tetrahydroxyflavone) possesses a significant spectrum of biochemical and pharmacological actions. The present study aimed to investigate the antidepressant potential of fisetin and its possible mechanism. Two mouse models of despair tests were used to evaluate the antidepressant-like effect of fisetin. The results suggested that fisetin (10 and 20 mg/kg, p.o.) dose dependently inhibited the immobility time in both behavioral tests, while the doses that affected the immobile response did not affect locomotor activity. Two behavioral models, reserpine-induced hypothermia and ptosis, and p-chlorophenylalanine (PCPA)-induced depletion of serotonin, were used to explore the possible involvement of fisetin in the noradrenergic and serotonergic system. The higher dose of fisetin was found to effectively antagonize the hypothermia, but not ptosis, induced by reserpine. Pre-treatment with PCPA abolished the anti-immobility effect of fisetin in the forced swimming and tail suspension tests. Moreover, neurochemical assays showed that fisetin produced an increase in serotonin and noradrenaline levels in the frontal cortex and hippocampus. Monoamine oxidase (MAO) activity in the mouse brain was inhibited by 14.7% after treatment with fisetin, while MAO-B activity was not affected. These findings indicate that the antidepressant-like effect of fisetin involves the regulation of the central serotonin and noradrenaline levels.

Highlights​

Fisetin exerts antidepressant-like effect in mouse models of despair tests. ► The serotonin and noradrenaline levels were increased after fisetin treatment. ► Inhibition of MAO-A may enhance the activity of monoamines, but not MAO-B.
I posted that one above already.

Yesterday after taking fisetin I became really hypoglycemic. Didnt expect that but it seems to have a strong affect on blood sugar for me.
Also my face looks younger ,better ,more youthful. Hair also looks better.
It reminds me most of DHEA when I take it , it has a similar beautifying effect.

Mauritio

On fisetin and liver health:

In this study fisetin :
Lowers :
- free fatty acids and fatty acid synthase
- body weight
- steatohepatosis and llipid droplets

Increases:
- metabolism
- liver glycogen
- PPARalpha and sirt1

Dosage: intraperitoneal injection of just 20mg/kg , only twice per week.
HED=150mg only twice per week !

Mice fed a high fat diet (60%) weighed about 40g ,HFD+ fisetin mice weighed about 30g and control mice about 25g.
Interestingly the food intake was almost exactly the same, meaning the fisetin mice had a higher metabolism, as is indicated by the lower food efficiency ratio.

Screenshot_20211017-153822_Drive.jpg

The fisetin liver looks a lot healthier like the control group (A) .
Glycogen content was increased and liver fat droplets were drastically decreased .
Screenshot_20211017-154527_Drive.jpg

"Fisetin reduced the epididymal tissue
weight in HFD-induced obese mice. (A) Appearance and (B) weight of epididymal adipose tissue. (C) HE staining of epididymal
adipose tissue (200× magnification). Data
are presented as mean ± SEM; n = 12. **P<0.01
compared to mice with HFD-induced obesity."
Screenshot_20211017-154934_Drive.jpg

"However, fisetin significantly decreased free fatty acid levels compared to the HFD group (Fig. 4D). Fisetin also significantly suppressed serum leptin
levels compared to HFD mice (Fig. 4E)."
--> actually it lowered fatty acids more than the control group

"However, fisetin increased
PPARα expression and suppressed FAS expression compared to the HFD group (Fig. 5A)"
Screenshot_20211017-155339_Drive.jpg

(Fisetin Protects Against Hepatic Steatosis Through Regulation of the Sirt1/AMPK and Fatty Acid β-Oxidation Signaling Pathway in High-Fat Diet-Induced Obese Mice - PubMed)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211017-154527_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211017-154527_Drive.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

David PS

I am that it may be best to take fisetin in the evening or before bed to take advantage of the natural circadian rhythms of melatonin.

In Figure 1E it shows the combination of fisetin and melatonin (MT) result in a 7.6X increase.

Melatonin-enhanced-fisetin-mediated-inhibition-of-cell-proliferation-A-B-Human-MeWo_Q320.jpg

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals