First Time Trying T3, For Severe CFS. Did Not Help

I wanted to start with T3 instead of T3/T4, just to see if I got a moderate effect. I took about an 8th of a cynomel tablet last night, with food (should be around 3.5 mcg). I chewed it.
This was at about 1:30-2 AM. The symptoms I had been experiencing before i took the T3 were muscle pain/lactic acid feeling, which I've been getting more and more often recently.
The cynomel was having very little or no effect for the first hour. I had a cup of black tea which is standard for me to alleviate symptoms before bed. After about an hour and a half I felt some relaxation and lightness in a way that was pleasant and it felt like beyond placebo, an unfamiliar sensation. I laid down in bed. I felt relaxed but couldn't sleep for some reason. Started to get a mild headache. The headache got a little more intense but was blunt, not sharp pain, felt like having a fever. I felt overly hot, felt sort of nauseous, not quite like puking, but it reminded me of having a fever. By 5 am, I still couldn't sleep, drank some water... It felt like my body was rejecting something (not necessarily the thyroid). Eventually it wore off and I passed out for 7 hours, woke up with a similar feeling of sickness/achiness in head.

The times on all this are a little bit approximate.

I was really hoping that thyroid would help with my CFS as I've tried pretty much every other intervention Peat has recommended without much success.

However, no interventions by any doctors have helped either, so even in the worst case, Peat's work is just as helpful as anything else :/.

OP
energyandstruct
Any thoughts on why it might not work? Any thoughts on the next step for treating CFS? I'm going to try this a few more times to make sure it was the T3 causing this effect but I kinda doubt that it wasn't

HDD

Any thoughts on why it might not work? Any thoughts on the next step for treating CFS? I'm going to try this a few more times to make sure it was the T3 causing this effect but I kinda doubt that it wasn't
My first thoughts are that with the increase in metabolism, you ran out of fuel. Why don’t you try taking it during the day when you would be eating?

OP
energyandstruct
My first thoughts are that with the increase in metabolism, you ran out of fuel. Why don’t you try taking it during the day when you would be eating?
Well, I ate with it. And beyond that, I did not feel any increase in hunger or anything. Friend suggested taking it at night to help with my insomnia

OP
energyandstruct
Other medications I am on---valtrex, low dose naltrexone (which ray mentions can cause issues, like stress hormones)

OP
energyandstruct
but thyroid should antagonize the stress hormones from LDN, not interact with it negatively

HDD

Well, I ate with it. And beyond that, I did not feel any increase in hunger or anything. Friend suggested taking it at night to help with my insomnia

Yes, it can help you relax, however, since you are just starting to experiment with t3, it might be easier to monitor effects during the day. Keeping a record of temperature and pulse is useful.

OP
energyandstruct
Yes, it can help you relax, however, since you are just starting to experiment with t3, it might be easier to monitor effects during the day. Keeping a record of temperature and pulse is useful.
I didn't take temp because my temperature is usually normal despite severe fatigue so I don't know if that was an indicator.

Pulse also varies due to stress hormones, e.g. when I measure it I get nervous and it shoots up, which seems like it would obscure the true metabolic rate. Nevertheless I took it before and after--before it was going from 69-77, mostly hovering around 75, and then it was more solidly around 80 about an hour after I took the T3.

Dobbler

Thyroid drives up inflammation and mineral imbalance and any1 with CFS have both. Also your cortisol is probably either super low or high, if its low thyroid can make it even lower, if its high then it can make your stress hormone sensitivity higher. Hows your digestion?

johnsmith

I would still take arm pit temperature before and after you dose, and may as take oral temp as well. And get a good thermometer like the Geardistrict or Topelek one. They keep adjusting your temp to a more accurate reading the longer you hold it in.

OP
energyandstruct
Thyroid drives up inflammation and mineral imbalance and any1 with CFS have both. Also your cortisol is probably either super low or high, if its low thyroid can make it even lower, if its high then it can make your stress hormone sensitivity higher. Hows your digestion?
Huh, I thought thyroid countered inflammation. Ray had told me that it would help

OP
energyandstruct
s
I would still take arm pit temperature before and after you dose, and may as take oral temp as well. And get a good thermometer like the Geardistrict or Topelek one.
spent basically my last money on thyroid and red light :/

johnsmith

OP
energyandstruct
now I feel like i''m having hyperthyroid symptoms

(high pulse rate, feverish feeling, anxiety)

OP
energyandstruct
Sounds like stress hormones. Have you read through this?
Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki
I have. I know ray says that when you first take thyroid, you can get stress response if you a) take too much or b) don't correspondingly increase calories. But I also wonder if it's simply possible to become hyperthyroid from T3. after all when tested, my T3 was high up, near the end of the reference range

sladerunner69

And what did you eat? What is your diet like? Without a strong dietary foundation I don't think much success is probable with any therapy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals