First Time Arrhythmia W/Headache And Malaise

yerrag

I've been having irregular heart rate for a week already. This happened in the course of my lead detox. I'm not sure what caused it, and I've stopped the detox to give myself some rest Still, the irregular heart rate is on its seventh day already, and my headache and malaise along with it.

I've never had arrhythmia, and incidences of headache had been non-existent for me. In fact, I don't ever recall ever having had one, if my memory serves me right. I've been on lead detox already before, using PectaClear, and have had no issues. Since I've found no progress with my high blood pressure, a result of the lead toxicity, I've shifted to usig garlic. It went on for two weeks, and the headache started towards the end of the second week. When the irregular heart rate reared its ugly head, I stopped taking the detox protocol, and it has been a week since. Meanwhile, the iregular heart rate continues. I base my determination of arrhythmia on a blood pressure monitor Omron HEM-711, which would flash a symbol for arrhythmia at the end of a blood pressure check. It's also been hard taking readings on the monitor, as the irregularity of the heart rate makes it difficult to the monitor, and often it gives an error message.

I'm taking an educated guess and saying that it's my use of progesterone that caused the arrhythmia. My reasoning is in the next paragraph, and I would appreciate your being critical on my analysis: The 2-week+ daily application of progesterone raised my metabolic rate. This is confirmed by higher temperatures initially, and as days passed, the metabolic rate went higher as well. You might ask why I was taking progesterone. My detox protocol was causing my temperatures to go down, and I reasoned that taking some progesterone would be able to counteract the anti-metabolic effect of the detox protocol. It worked out well initially, but it came to a head after 2 weeks of progesterone, and the headache and arrhythmia started.

I think the progesterone increased my metabolism to a point where it requires a larger input of oxygen and sugar. But my body has set limits on me because of the lead toxic condition in my kidneys, such that my blood vessels (in the kidney) has to be constricted, so that my kidney would be in a hypoxic state, a state needed for the production of uric acid. Uric acid is an antioxidant, and with the tissue damage occurring in my kidney, as indicated by my above-range LDH levels (which I suspect arises from the tissue damage at my kidneys), uric acid is needed to keep the oxidative damage occurring from the free radicals being produced at the site of injury.

With the constriction of blood vessels, the delivery of oxygen to the body tissues would be limited. When more oxygen is needed for the increased metabolism (from progesterone usage), not all of the energy needs can be met with the available oxygen. The body had to adapt and it shifted to using a metabolic pathway that needed no oxygen as input. The pathway used, fermentative glycolysis, produced the energy but in an inefficient way, and also produced lactic acid as an end product. This has led to increased use of glucose (not only from increased requirements, but also from an inefficient pathway), probably greater usage of glycogen stores, and also to difficulty sleeping at night (due to depressed glucose and glycogen levels). Furthermore, the lactic acid would increase blood acidity (decrease of blood pH) as well as decrease CO2 in the blood.

This state of metabolic acidosis, with a shift in tissue and blood pH from normal levels, would impact the balance of minerals inside and outside the cells. The disruption of this balance impacts very well the operation of the heart, as the mineral imbalance would affect the electrical signaling and strength, in the repolarization of the the heart. So far, I am only experiencing irregualr heart rate, and the heart rate is still normal. But if I leave this unresolved, it could lead eventually to excessive heart rate, or tachycardia.

And the reason for that is that as the level of CO2 in the blood decreases, it would further decrease the release of oxygen from blood to tissue, and further make the body adapt by turning more to fermentative glycolysis for energy. With more lactic acid and less CO2 being produced, the electrolyte imbalance would be further impaired, and the arrhythmia would worsen, and the pumping mechanism of the heart would become more and more inefficient. This would lead to increased heart rate, to the point of tachycardia.

My headaches are an indication of an oxygen deficit in my system, and my brain is also affected by it.

Is this an accurate and likely scenario I am facing? What an be done now to correct the condition?

Should I increase CO2 in my system by bag breathing? Or should I take thiamine to lessen the lactic acid in my system? What is a dosage I can work with?

@haidut @Travis @Mito @tara what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Mito

Hypomagnesemia and cardiovascular system
Although the electrophysiological actions of magnesium are not fully understood, it is clear that the marked magnesium deficiency evokes arrhythmias and digitalis toxicity. Correction of Mg level in these cases is of paramount importance. Even in patients with normal serum magnesium further supplementation is beneficial in some cases8.

Magnesium adjunctive therapy in atrial arrhythmias. - PubMed - NCBI
Magnesium (Mg) is an important intracellular ion with cardiac metabolism and electrophysiologic properties. A large percentage of patients with arrhythmias have an intracellular Mg deficiency, which is out of line with serum

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hypomagnesemia and cardiovascular system
Although the electrophysiological actions of magnesium are not fully understood, it is clear that the marked magnesium deficiency evokes arrhythmias and digitalis toxicity. Correction of Mg level in these cases is of paramount importance. Even in patients with normal serum magnesium further supplementation is beneficial in some cases8.

Magnesium adjunctive therapy in atrial arrhythmias. - PubMed - NCBI
Magnesium (Mg) is an important intracellular ion with cardiac metabolism and electrophysiologic properties. A large percentage of patients with arrhythmias have an intracellular Mg deficiency, which is out of line with serum
Thanks mito! This gives me a push to go and make my own magnesium bicarbonate now. I'll have to drive over to a grocery and buy a liter of carbonated water, and use the magnesium hydroxide I ordered.

Trix

@yerrag Have you read Potassium Nutrition by Charles Weber? I am reading the book now and I think this would help....I am not advocating for potassium capsules, but if you had losses of potassium during your detox, this could be a reason for arrhythmia. I have his book, but he has many articles on the web. Put Potassium Nutrition tripod in Google search box and some of his stuff will come up.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

@yerrag Have you read Potassium Nutrition by Charles Weber? I am reading the book now and I think this would help....I am not advocating for potassium capsules, but if you had losses of potassium during your detox, this could be a reason for arrhythmia. I have his book, but he has many articles on the web. Put Potassium Nutrition tripod in Google search box and some of his stuff will come up.

Trix, thanks for the help. I haven't read his book, but I would keep it in mind. It looks like something I did last night worked.

I took a little more than my regular dose of magnesium citrate, moving from 1g to 1.5g, and had a little loose stool, which meant I had maxed my dosage of magnesium (at least orally). I also continued to daily intake of 150mg thiamine, but added 500mg niacinamide.

I woke up feeling better, no headache, but my left eye was still feeling some pressure. An hour later, I feel regular fine already. I don't know what did it. But I think it was the niacinamide that helped turn the tide.

I wasn't particularly lacking in magnesium nor potassium, as I had been taking supplementation regularly with magnesium, and with potassium, my fresh fruit juice intake has been regular. Over the past 3 days, I had been taking thiamine to no avail. I think though thiamine and niacinamide together worked to relieve my headache. I had been taking niacinamide but stopped it about a month ago, it would have come in handy earlier. Still, I'm glad to know it helped resolve this issue.

While this thread of haidut talked about psychiatric disorders, I used it for ideas as my my headache still involved the brain: High Lactate May Be The Cause Of Major Psychiatric Disorders

I decided to add niacinamide to my thiamine after reading it. Since I didn't take a test to confirm high lactate, I can only guess high lactate was the problem, as I surmised earlier. This probably confirms my suspicion. But I'll have to observe myself and see if my headache problem has been resolved.

If it's resolved, I can be happy knowing I'm knowing my own context better, and to be able to relate it to what so far I've learned from reading Peat, this forum, and endlessly repeat listening to the interviews of Ray Peat in Herb Doctors, Politics and Science, and what not, as well as the interviews of haidut by Danny Roddy in Generative Energy. I'm glad using these resources fully and taking the time to internalize them is paying some dividend for me. I can only hope that one day it will just be so second nature and natural to understand my body enough to say that no one can doctor myself better than myself.

Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited:

Trix

Trix, thanks for the help. I haven't read his book, but I would keep it in mind. It looks like something I did last night worked.

I took a little more than my regular dose of calcium citrate, moving from 1g to 1.5g, and had a little loose stool, which meant I had maxed my dosage of magnesium (at least orally). I also continued to daily intake of 150mg thiamine, but added 500mg niacinamide.

I woke up feeling better, no headache, but my left eye was still feeling some pressure. An hour later, I feel regular fine already. I don't know what did it. But I think it was the niacinamide that helped turn the tide.

I wasn't particularly lacking in magnesium nor potassium, as I had been taking supplementation regularly with magnesium, and with potassium, my fresh fruit juice intake has been regular. Over the past 3 days, I had been taking thiamine to no avail. I think though thiamine and niacinamide together worked to relieve my headache. I had been taking niacinamide but stopped it about a month ago, it would have come in handy earlier. Still, I'm glad to know it helped resolve this issue.

While this thread of haidut talked about psychiatric disorders, I used it for ideas as my my headache still involved the brain: High Lactate May Be The Cause Of Major Psychiatric Disorders

I decided to add niacinamide to my thiamine after reading it. Since I didn't take a test to confirm high lactate, I can only guess high lactate was the problem, as I surmised earlier. This probably confirms my suspicion. But I'll have to observe myself and see if my headache problem has been resolved.

@yerrag glad to hear you are fine with experimenting....Charles Weber does caution people with B1 supplementation. I've been taking Allithiamine a year and a half myself so my eyes perked up when he was talking about it with regarding the electrolytes, I wish I had the quotes from the book....but context is important and you seem to have a grasp of this.
If it's resolved, I can be happy knowing I'm knowing my own context better, and to be able to relate it to what so far I've learned from reading Peat, this forum, and endlessly repeat listening to the interviews of Ray Peat in Herb Doctors, Politics and Science, and what not, as well as the interviews of haidut by Danny Roddy in Generative Energy. I'm glad using these resources fully and taking the time to internalize them is paying some dividend for me. I can only hope that one day it will just be so second nature and natural to understand my body enough to say that no one can doctor myself better than myself.

Thanks for your help guys!

Trix

@yerrag glad to hear you are fine with experimenting....Charles Weber does caution people with B1 supplementation. I've been taking Allithiamine a year and a half myself so my eyes perked up when he was talking about it with regarding the electrolytes, I wish I had the quotes from the book....but context is important and you seem to have a grasp of this.

SO Sorry I did not reply correctly....as I am in your message above. If you can edit and cut my part out.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

SO Sorry I did not reply correctly....as I am in your message above. If you can edit and cut my part out.

Until today, I was really worried. I'm just glad the answer was just right around the corner, and that I gave it another try. I sure hate giving up and ending up having to see a doctor, which usually would have me dependent on some drug. And never any better for it.

This is the peril of being your own doctor. So much to sort out by yourself. Filtering the noise, wthin and without. But it's a rite of passage, I guess. Once I get through this initial difficulty, it will be easier in the long run.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

@Trix, I got around to reading a sample of the book and found it to touch upon a condition that may describe my recent experience with arrhythmia, so I went ahead and bought the kindle.

It just so happens that it touched upon vitamin b-1, thiamine, and sulfites, and potassium. With only a passage of the book read, I'm beginning to form an initial explanation for my arrhythmia. Now, this doesn't replace my initial analysis of my usage of progesterone leading to my condition, but probably was a co-factor leading to my poor state. I think that I used a sufficient quantity of raw garlic, and this has plenty of sulfites, and the sulfites led to a deficiency of thiamine. This led further to a potassium deficiency. With the potassium deficiency, an electrolyte imbalance resulted that was contributory to arrhythmia. Coupled with a metabolic acidosis condition from high lactate arising from use of progesterone (note my analysis later which reflects my context), the situation would have gone worse.

I had stopped garlic for a week, but the condition remained. I took thiamine for 3 ways to no avail. It was when I added niacinamide that the condition got resolved. My headache was gone, as well as the arrhythmia.

Garlic is also a diuretic, and can cause the loss of vitamin B-1. This explains why I was waking up at night often, needing to pee. I had initially thought the cause to be the detox supplements I was taking. Turns out that garlic is a natural diuretic. And I was taking a large amount of it for my lead detox.

So, thank you very much for the lead. Have to go back to the book to learn more.

Trix

@Trix, I got around to reading a sample of the book and found it to touch upon a condition that may describe my recent experience with arrhythmia, so I went ahead and bought the kindle.

It just so happens that it touched upon vitamin b-1, thiamine, and sulfites, and potassium. With only a passage of the book read, I'm beginning to form an initial explanation for my arrhythmia. Now, this doesn't replace my initial analysis of my usage of progesterone leading to my condition, but probably was a co-factor leading to my poor state. I think that I used a sufficient quantity of raw garlic, and this has plenty of sulfites, and the sulfites led to a deficiency of thiamine. This led further to a potassium deficiency. With the potassium deficiency, an electrolyte imbalance resulted that was contributory to arrhythmia. Coupled with a metabolic acidosis condition from high lactate arising from use of progesterone (note my analysis later which reflects my context), the situation would have gone worse.

I had stopped garlic for a week, but the condition remained. I took thiamine for 3 ways to no avail. It was when I added niacinamide that the condition got resolved. My headache was gone, as well as the arrhythmia.

Garlic is also a diuretic, and can cause the loss of vitamin B-1. This explains why I was waking up at night often, needing to pee. I had initially thought the cause to be the detox supplements I was taking. Turns out that garlic is a natural diuretic. And I was taking a large amount of it for my lead detox.

So, thank you very much for the lead. Have to go back to the book to learn more.

@yerrag He also states just like RP that Niacinamide would be beneficial for most people for so many issues. Yeah for you to stay on top of what is happening! Experimenting is not for the weak!