Finger joint flexibility - can it be increased after injury?

andrewlee224

I had a minor thumb injury when I was a teenager. The IP joint of my left hand's thumb bends to around 10 degrees less than the right hand's thumb. It sounds minor and it wouldn't affect me at all if I didn't play guitar - there is a Hendrix technique where you fret the low E string with your thumb, and having this 10 degrees of motion more would make it hugely easier for me.

I was hoping it would be somehow possible to extend the range of motion in a thumb joint? I wouldn't even ask in a 'standard' health forum but this is Ray Peat forum where we know many things can be fixed..

SOMO

Some people have used DMSO for these types of injuries.

I would try some 50% or 70% DMSO and report back. It's quite harmless, but causes some skin irritation/temporary itching which can be remedied by applying more water. Or you can buy 99% DMSO and dilute it.

OP
A

andrewlee224

Some people have used DMSO for these types of injuries.

I would try some 50% or 70% DMSO and report back. It's quite harmless, but causes some skin irritation/temporary itching which can be remedied by applying more water. Or you can buy 99% DMSO and dilute it.
Thanks, I actually have some Magnoil which has DMSO.. I'll try it out. Not sure if it has high enough concentration but worth a try at first.