Finding A Doctor

I've decided that this week I would like to find a GP to see with some regularity. I've read success and horror stories from people on here and my primary aim is to find someone who will actually engage in open discussion about health, run labs and blood tests to get a specific idea of what's going on, and not whip out a prescription unless absolutely neccesary.

I live in the NYC area and am wondering if any forum members have recommendations to someone? The idea of visiting a naturopath is very appealing as they take a holistic viewpoint, but I really don't want to wind up with someone just trying to push their brand of herbal remedies on me.

Any and all recommendations would be much appreciated!

Ashoka

I don't really have advice as I'm also looking for a doctor and I have the same concerns! I'm actually visiting a functional health doctor tomorrow, even though I know I'm not going to like what I hear. To add, this is a real problem for those of us especially who aren't well-versed enough or are too sick to advocate for ourselves properly.

It would be good to hear from someone who has some experience with this.

yerrag

That's a fair ask. I get the feeling that being "Ray-Peat" certified as a doctor would be a bad career decision for a practicing doctor, given how far off he is on the spectrum with both mainstream and wholistic medicine. I would think it would take a generation or two, when the current crop of doctors die off, when doctors would find Peat's ideas acceptable. Or maybe I'm being too optimistic.

I think that going to www.brodabarnes.org would be a place I'd go to find a doctor, even if they're not wholesale peatists. They have a better understanding of diagnosing thyroid disorders, and are not given to pronouncing someone hyperthyroid and removing their thyroid, and thus condemning them to a life of hypothyroid, which was what happened to a friend of mine.

nullredvector

Dr. Sonoo Advani (north jersey) was the best I found in terms of labs and open-mindedness. though I dont think a single doctor is going to agree with subjective and liberal use of thyroid, aspirin, etc. If you find someone let me know. I've found that my resources were much better-spent trial meds and supps on my own and reading the great posts here.

OP
T
Thanks @yerrag! That makes sense. I'm not seeing a reference for doctors though... Am I missing something?

@nullredvector, I'll check out that Doctor. North Jersey is a little bit out there, but if he's really down to run labs and have an open dialogue, might be worth it. (Especially if my insurance covers it!) I'm certainly not looking to jump onto thyroid or anything outside of the very basic supplement range. Already within three weeks of making dietary and lifestyle changes, my temperatures are up from low 95 to 97 this morning, so I'm really holding fast to the faith that observation, trial and error, and self education will bring things back to right as rain. However, if I find a doctor I really click with, I'll certainly let you know!

Lilac

I live in New York, too. I have ordered the Broda Barnes list and examined the recommended-doctors list at Stop the Thyroid Madness. I have found many times that after you look at the doctor's website or call the number listed, things sound a bit shady. Sometimes the doctor sells supplements. Or if the doctor is one who prescribes desiccated thyroid, the fee for the visit sounds like a payoff to get something not kosher.