Finasteride vs Progesterone

AsuraAcademy

So, finasteride works similar to progesterone just because it increases serum progesterone by reducing its conversion to Dihydroprogesterone. What if I just use oral progesterone which is available in my country for hair loss? What the recommended dosage for standalone progesterone?

5a-DHP

You could try it; there's very little information re: progesterone use for male pattern baldness online.
It would need to be taken in 3-4 times per day for 5ar inhibition given it's half-life.
I don't think finasteride works because it increases progesterone production though - the idea that prog -> 5aDHP being mediated by 5ar = fin increases serum prog is a rather mechanical view of the system; I would expect finasteride-induced estrogen excess to lead to a net decrease in progesterone production in a man.

Charger

As someone who has used both, I think they're pretty much the same thing.

Finasteride may have a stronger affinity for 5AR and may take longer to clear, but they both feel equally anti-androgenic in my experience.

cupofcoffee

Finasteride may have a stronger affinity for 5AR and may take longer to clear, but they both feel equally anti-androgenic in my experience.
an important thing to consider is that, while they both have an anti-androgenic effect, progesterone doesn't reduce allopregnanolone like finasteride does and it might even increase it which makes it much better IMO.

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

an important thing to consider is that, while they both have an anti-androgenic effect, progesterone doesn't reduce allopregnanolone like finasteride does and it might even increase it which makes it much better IMO.
Yes that's what I am thinking. Also, think about all other good things from progesterone getting converted into DihydroProgesterone and doing good things in Brain. I don't think it's even anti-androgenic the dosage I am thinking of is like 1-2mg per day.

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

What's the dosage of progesterone you used and why?

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

You could try it; there's very little information re: progesterone use for male pattern baldness online.
It would need to be taken in 3-4 times per day for 5ar inhibition given it's half-life.
I don't think finasteride works because it increases progesterone production though - the idea that prog -> 5aDHP being mediated by 5ar = fin increases serum prog is a rather mechanical view of the system; I would expect finasteride-induced estrogen excess to lead to a net decrease in progesterone production in a man.
I am thinking of taking it topically on my scalp. I am working on some formulation where the rate of absorption is slow making sure it still get into the scalp. So, I guess the problem with short half-life can be overcome. I am just dreaming about full head of hair ?. I read about skin has its own 5AR activity and if progesterone uses it then there will be no testosterone getting converted into DHT. All of these are just a theory with limited information I fed in my Brain. Also, I think progesterone can make skin soft or add some fat layer which will help with blood flow.

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

Hi what is the dosage you recommend for standalone progesterone usage?

mrchibbs

I concur. Very little research because of the bias against a molecule which cannot be patented, and with a very short half life.

So it's not super practical to take, and requires multiple doses daily with few guidelines of how to proceed.

It is incredibly safe however, and I feel like the anti-androgenic effects could be countered with some extra DHEA, DHT or even testosterone (just a few mg daily as needed to feel best).

5a-DHP

So it's not super practical to take, and requires multiple doses daily with few guidelines of how to proceed.
It is incredibly safe however, and I feel like the anti-androgenic effects could be countered with some extra DHEA, DHT or even testosterone (just a few mg daily as needed to feel best).
I'm currently taking exogenous testosterone base four times per day (purely experimental; not trying to improve health) - once this experiment is concluded, I plan on co-administering progesterone alongside each dose to see if its anti-androgenic effects are countered in the presence of an androgen stronger than DHEA. If no anti-androgenic effects are experienced, I plan on going very high on the dose (again, purely for the sake of experiment) to see what, if any, effect it has on MPB.
Anecdotally, I have a friend who claims his masteron-induced hairloss ceased entirely upon implementing injectable progesterone to restore deficient serum levels back to the top of the physiological reference range.

mrchibbs

I'm currently taking exogenous testosterone base four times per day (purely experimental; not trying to improve health) - once this experiment is concluded, I plan on co-administering progesterone alongside each dose to see if its anti-androgenic effects are countered in the presence of an androgen stronger than DHEA. If no anti-androgenic effects are experienced, I plan on going very high on the dose (again, purely for the sake of experiment) to see what, if any, effect it has on MPB.
Anecdotally, I have a friend who claims his masteron-induced hairloss ceased entirely upon implementing injectable progesterone to restore deficient serum levels back to the top of the physiological reference range.

I wish you a lot of luck. If you're really going to give it a shot, you should make a thread to monitor your experience.

In the most successful trans stories of hair regrowth I've read, rectal progesterone (300-400mg daily) always seems to be involved, along with CPA/spiro and E2

Andman

Agree with @mrchibbs , cool experiment. please keep us updated!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals