Finasteride Lowers CSF Neuro-steroids/pregnen Differently From Blood

aguilaroja

Post-Finasteride Syndrome has been discussed in other threads. This new finding details that finasteride leads to lower some “neuro-active” steroids in the cerebrospinal fluid.

This separate post is started as a reference for people who need to interact with physicians. Since the cerebrospinal fluid with inside the “blood-brain barrier”, reduced levels of pregnenolone, progesterone, DHP & DHT may not be reflected in the usual blood tests. The article can be shown to a practitioner that insists the blood tests are the only determining factor.

The findings will be un-surprising for many forum members, but here is the detail:

NEUROACTIVE STEROID LEVELS AND PSYCHIATRIC AND ANDROLOGICAL FEATURES IN POST-FINASTERIDE PATIENTS. - PubMed - NCBI

“…decreased levels of pregnenolone, progesterone and its metabolite (i.e., dihydroprogesterone), dihydrotestosterone and 17beta-estradiol and increased levels of dehydroepiandrosterone, testosterone and 5alpha-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol were observed in CSF of PFS patients. Neuroactive steroid levels were also altered in plasma of PFS patients, however these changes did not reflect exactly what occurs in CSF.”

“Finally, finasteride did not only affect, as expected, the levels of 5alpha-reduced metabolites of progesterone and testosterone, but also the further metabolites and precursors suggesting that this drug has broad consequence on neuroactive steroid levels of PFS patients.”

TubZy

I do believe it is a brain issue mainly, but that doesn't fully justify the fact for such poor glycogen storage in PFS people which mainly has to do with the liver (also 5AR in the liver).
So I think it is a both a brain and liver condition. Finasteride was known to be liver toxic as well due to the increase in estrogen there, which your liver has to constantly detox.. So again I think 5AR is both down regulated in the liver and brain. I mean the liver is what essentially metabolizes fin in the first place anyways so it makes sense, with the liver and brain being closely connected I can see the relationship

OP
A

aguilaroja

... poor glycogen storage in PFS people which mainly has to do with the liver (also 5AR in the liver).
...Finasteride was known to be liver toxic as well due to the increase in estrogen there, which your liver has to constantly detox.. So again I think 5AR is both down regulated in the liver and brain. I mean the liver is what essentially metabolizes fin in the first place...

Thanks. It is an excellent point.

Factors that impair metabolism and make the liver sluggish may lead to a downward spiral. Reduced liver function reduces steady (glycogen) fuel supply while slowing elimination of anti-metabolic agents & toxins.

Probably the upside is that most metabolism boosters will also boost liver function.

[QUOTE="aguilaroja, post: 227083, member:

"Neuroactive steroid levels were also altered in plasma of PFS patients, however these changes did not reflect exactly what occurs in CSF.”

Does anyone know if this study ever gave us the data regarding the altered plasma Neuro steroid levels of the PFS group. Its saying they did not match up with the C S F readings but did they ever tell us what they are?

Also has anyone compared the altered C S F readings in this study to the readings in that other Neuro steroid study that came out back in 2013 or 2014?

OP
A

aguilaroja

[QUOTE="aguilaroja, post: 227083, member:
"Neuroactive steroid levels were also altered in plasma of PFS patients, however these changes did not reflect exactly what occurs in CSF.”

Does anyone know if this study ever gave us the data regarding the altered plasma Neuro steroid levels of the PFS group. Its saying they did not match up with the C S F readings but did they ever tell us what they are?...

The Melcangi 2017 findings, for the PFS group compared to controls, included:

*increased pregnenolone, DHEA, & testosterone levels in the serum
*decreased pregnenolone, progesterone, dihydro-progesterone & DHT levels in the CSF.
*increased testosterone & modestly increased DHEA levels in the CSF

I have not compared this data to previous studies by the Melcangi group. By this study alone, a doctor looking at blood test results will not necessarily know the effect in the CSF.

More data has been PM'd.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals