Financial Independace/Early Retirement For Health And Well-being

jaguar43

Nick said:
post 114320 I think that the macro-scale implications of Peat's ideas about the negative effects of stress, authoritarianism, learned helplessness, and lack of creativity are that a healthy society would have to be radically different from capitalism and allow for maximum autonomy and community. I think this would have much greater effects for health and well-being than could be achieved through diet alone. It is no coincidence that Peat references anarchists like Kropotkin and Illich.
To quote Ivan Illich (from Medical Nemesis): "An advanced industrial society is sick-making because it disables people from coping with their environment and, when they break down, substitutes a "clinical," or therapeutic, prosthesis for the broken relationships. People would rebel against such an environment if medicine did not explain their biological disorientation as a defect in their health, rather than as a defect in the way of life which is imposed on them or which they impose on themselves."

However, in the mean time we are stuck with capitalism and wage slavery. For those with the economic opportunities to pursue it (eg. access to middle class jobs), I think that financial independance/early retirement could be perhaps one of the most powerful tools to improve one's health and well being in the long run. Once one has reached financial independance and no longer has to work, endless creative opportunities, greatly increased autonomy, the ability to pursue one's passions, and the ability to completely avoid rote work and authoritarian people/situations could possibly solve many people's health problems without any other changes.
For an example of what I mean by financial independance, early retirement: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

I think Ivan Illich meant well, but I think his concept of an advance industrial society being "sick making" is economically wrong. Manufacturing jobs have lifted 500 million people out of poverty into the middle class in China. Industrial economies are essential for middle class work and good living standards. Which is why the U.S it's becoming more like a feudalistic society. Because of off shoring and free trade agreements.

Sure, automation will become 100 percent of manufacturing jobs in society one day, but until that day comes we shouldn't shy away from doing what works. Part of moving forward is to make sure we are not moving backward so we don't lose what took 100 years to develop.

This so called "post-industrial" economy is literally nothing more than a tollbooth, service, and fee-charging economy. The largest sector in the U.S is real estate. Banks making outrages loans to drown people in debt.

There is nothing wrong with protectionism, higher wages mean higher productivity.

Last edited by a moderator:

G Forrest

Why not just find a way to combine your passion/purpose with an income?

Easier said than done.

I tend to be skeptical of testimonials of guys sitting on a beach in the South Pacific with a mai tai in one hand and a laptop in the orther. “Make your millions on the internet following your passion, brah!”

The system is not designed for people to retire at 30, unless you are very lucky to have the resources and someone to coach you at a young age.

Even if this is the case, you would have to exert a significant amount of additional energy in the “system” working in some authoritarian place for those 10 years thereby sacrificing arguably your peak years for some (possibly) unattainable future.

bk_

One major problem with nations with school systems is that we are heavily indoctrinated by school systems to follow into a career path rather than take risks and follow business opportunities. I have witnessed first hand two individuals I know personally, one who never finished grade 9, and another who was a high school drop it, both become multi millionaires.

The key takeaway is that it all comes down to a mindset and focus. They were both smart, especially street smart, but did not complete their education due to political reasons in their home countries. However in America they both worked hard and followed opportunities where others balked or said was too risky rather. It takes a certain mindset to have take business risks to generate the wealth to retire. Unfortunately the school system and corporate culture really make us only think one way and fear failure. I’m still struggling to shake off the mindset that public schooling has instilled in me.

We’ve learned in public school to fear failure, always play it safe, and follow the system in order to get a job. I do believe education and job skills/credentials are extremely valuable since virtually all of us will work for an employer as did the two individuals. The problem though comes about through ourselves. I believe opportunities always come up but we sabotage them through our attitudes and mindsets.

ShotTrue

One major problem with nations with school systems is that we are heavily indoctrinated by school systems to follow into a career path rather than take risks and follow business opportunities. I have witnessed first hand two individuals I know personally, one who never finished grade 9, and another who was a high school drop it, both become multi millionaires.

The key takeaway is that it all comes down to a mindset and focus. They were both smart, especially street smart, but did not complete their education due to political reasons in their home countries. However in America they both worked hard and followed opportunities where others balked or said was too risky rather. It takes a certain mindset to have take business risks to generate the wealth to retire. Unfortunately the school system and corporate culture really make us only think one way and fear failure. I’m still struggling to shake off the mindset that public schooling has instilled in me.

We’ve learned in public school to fear failure, always play it safe, and follow the system in order to get a job. I do believe education and job skills/credentials are extremely valuable since virtually all of us will work for an employer as did the two individuals. The problem though comes about through ourselves. I believe opportunities always come up but we sabotage them through our attitudes and mindsets.
Read Rich Dad Poor Dad. Mindset book

ShotTrue

Why not just find a way to combine your passion/purpose with an income?
A lot of people do that and make little. However I think it can give another stroke of knowledge or passion that can motivate a business /fiscal venture further

bk_

I have two separate thoughts:

1. It is possible to retire early if you graduate with minimal debt, get a professional job, and live with your parents if possible and set as a conscious goal to NOT get married or even go near a relationship until you are ready to retire. Every month write an expense report to see where your money goes, buy used reliable goods and invest every penny you can. It will take 10+ years of severe austerity (at least in Canada with our ridiculous taxes, high living costs, and low incomes) and then you can retire in your 30s.

2. Know your personality and what kind of work makes you happy. For example some people get too fixated on a singular “passion” like abstract oil paintings because they are too invested in it when they could do other artistic endeavours like web design that are in more demand.

Last edited: