Final Verdict Of Sorghum Syrup?

Ron J

I looked up the threads we have in regards to sorghum syrup, but I'm still indecisive. I know sorghum syrup is highly refined, but isn't table sugar highly refined as well? Defensive properties were mentioned due to it being a grain, but Jenn mentioned that it's mostly left behind.
I realized that I'm low on manganese, so I decided to add potato again, but it many not be enough. I want to replace table sugar with sorghum syrup in my coffee, to get more manganese. Maple syrup seems like a good choice for manganese, but sorghum syrup costs less.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ron J

I think manganese is a nutrient that we should discuss more. Do any of you know good sources with the least draw-backs? Fruits such as bananas, plantains, green bananas, and pineapples contain a high amount of manganese, but also contain serotonin, so I've been avoiding those. Oysters are a good source, but not as economical.

OP
R

Ron J

So I was reading about sorghum and its DHT boosting properties and came across this thread: do you guys think that the DHT boost is from stress?

L

lollipop

Interesting thread and your research @Ron J. Wish I could help answer your questions. Following to see other's thoughts.

T

tca300

I think manganese is a nutrient that we should discuss more. Do any of you know good sources with the least draw-backs? Fruits such as bananas, plantains, green bananas, and pineapples contain a high amount of manganese, but also contain serotonin, so I've been avoiding those. Oysters are a good source, but not as economical.
White rice, if you eat starch.

OP
R

Ron J

White rice, if you eat starch.
Thanks Lisa.
tca: There's a study about rice bran being a potent 5-A reductase enzyme blocker. Not sure how much is in white rice, but I've been avoiding rice in case it's significant.

Wagner83

Not sure but I think white rice is free of bran , maybe the difference between white and brown rice is the removal of the bran? : Bran - Wikipedia
Bran, also known as miller's bran,[1] is the hard outer layers of cereal grain. It consists of the combined aleurone and pericarp.

Sorghum is super rich in nitrates and iron, I had histamine/allergic/breathing problems from it, I don't know about the syrup and don't even know if it still contains whatever benefits 5-AR.

Stryker

Thanks Lisa.
tca: There's a study about rice bran being a potent 5-A reductase enzyme blocker. Not sure how much is in white rice, but I've been avoiding rice in case it's significant.
the study uses a concentrated extract of brown rice bran using supercritical carbon dioxide , white rice is safe.
the study also mentions about unsaturated fats and their inhibition of the 5-AR enzymes.. the more unsaturated the stronger the inhibition

OP
R

Ron J

the study uses a concentrated extract of brown rice bran using supercritical carbon dioxide , white rice is safe.
the study also mentions about unsaturated fats and their inhibition of the 5-AR enzymes.. the more unsaturated the stronger the inhibition
Thanks a lot. I miss rice, so I might add it back.
Wagner: Even without the DHT boosting effect, I just wanted a source to sweeten coffee that has some nutrients, unlike table sugar. The calcium to phosphorous ratio seems to be alright. I assumed that the coffee may block most of the iron in the syrup. Didn't know about the nitrates.

Wagner83

If you type "nitrates cyanide sorghum" in google you should find some information on the matter.

Dante

Fruits such as bananas, plantains, green bananas, and pineapples contain a high amount of manganese, but also contain serotonin, so I've been avoiding those. Oysters are a good source, but not as economical.
From what i have read , a single banana fruit(peel excluded) contains around 3.7 mg of serotonin
and 1 mg of dopamine. AFAIK , orally ingested serotonin/dopamine can't cross the blood brain barrier and i really doubt that ~4 mg of serotonin in banana is going to cause GI problems. So, i really doubt you are going to get learned helplessness by eating a single banana.

OP
R

Ron J

Wagner: I'll look it up. Thank you.
Dante: "learned helplessness" You're killing me. I'll look up info about ingested serotonin. Thanks.

Wagner83

It's possible to nixtamalize sorghum: Nixtamalization - Wikipedia
However this could increase the iron content even more and there's still the nitrates problem (unless someone knows of a way to reduce them in grains) "Secondary benefits can arise from the grain's absorption of minerals from the alkali used or from the vessels used in preparation. These effects can increase calcium (by 750%, with 85% available for absorption), iron, copper, and zinc."