Figured Out How To Sit With Anterior Pelvic Tilt

Ableton

Struggled with this but now found a sitting position that I do not have to consciously focus on all the time, and that I believe even fixes it, as long as you are not leaning back.

You spread your legs while sitting. That's it. The more you spread them, the more you flex your glutes and the less force on your lower back.
Well your upper body should rest on your hips. Don't lean forward or backward too much. I find this part works automatically for me.

I guess you could call it man spreading.

Spreading your legs apart will make you flex your glutes automatically. We know glutes are underexpressed in those with apt.

I came up with this with the apt-exercise you can find at 3:20 in this vid that I found helpful:

Albeit not as strong, this sitting position seems to have a similar effect.

When I googled how to sit with apt you get recommendations for legs closed obviously, that were not practical to me because I needed to focus on them all the time.

Flexing your stomach muscles prob still helps but it does not seem to be that necessary

OP
A

Ableton

It's crazy I researched this ***t for hours at this point and have never read about this easy fix, wtf

OP
A

Ableton

I just took a walk after sitting like this for an hour and could already tell the difference
You automatically use glutes more while walking
Think this is gonna be big for me, since this definitely added tension and stress
If i do it to an extreme on a bench with no chair arms limiting my legs it’s like it automatically stretches my whole spine and it’s impossible for me to acquire bad posture. What the actual ****

Last edited:
Glutes are amazing! Hip bridges are also useful. They cured my chronic inflammation in my hips I had for two years from bad lifting form.

OP
A

Ableton

Glutes are amazing! Hip bridges are also useful. They cured my chronic inflammation in my hips I had for two years from bad lifting form.

exercises are nice, but applying something for 8 hours a day and more is another beast, especially because you eliminate the main factor of what is probably causing apt at the same time
I did exercises and progress was extremely slow, basically just temporary relieve.

rr1

God damn it hurts to spread my legs out, it hurts everywhere, my hip flexors, IT band, piriformis, hamstrings, glutes, adductors and everything around that area.

I will try out permanently sitting like this as well as some of the exercises in the vid you linked.

I remember one of the very first posts I read about fixing hair loss was a guy saying we need to fix our APT.

OP
A

Ableton

God damn it hurts to spread my legs out, it hurts everywhere, my hip flexors, IT band, piriformis, hamstrings, glutes, adductors and everything around that area.

I will try out permanently sitting like this as well as some of the exercises in the vid you linked.

I remember one of the very first posts I read about fixing hair loss was a guy saying we need to fix our APT.

yes I think APT is likely involved in hairline recession, muscles tighten up all the way up along your spine and pull your galea back. I had CRAZY APT in my teens and receded super early.

wouldn't be surprised if the rise of mpb not only has something to do with people being more indoors and moving less, but with SITTING more (in bad posture)

yet to read about hypertension, but I think I am a candidate. I would always feel so uncomfortable in chairs after a while, sometimes also while standing. always lower back stuff

Last edited:

Tom K

Beware of 'All or nothing' approach to back pain (and anything). Having treated at least 5,000 low back patients over a more than 30 years of experience, one thing of which I am certain is, "There is no cook book single cure for anything." In the lumbar spine, if a person has spinal stenosis, reversing of the lumbar lordosis (flexion) will relieve their pain. For someone with disc pathology (bulge or herniation) increasing the lordosis (extension) can be helpful. For someone that has both conditions (more common among 50 plus years of age), determining which condition is causing their symptoms is paramount to intervention at that time. Keeping these principles in mind, often a thorough patient history can be as revealing as an actual examination.

OP
A

Ableton

Beware of 'All or nothing' approach to back pain (and anything). Having treated at least 5,000 low back patients over a more than 30 years of experience, one thing of which I am certain is, "There is no cook book single cure for anything." In the lumbar spine, if a person has spinal stenosis, reversing of the lumbar lordosis (flexion) will relieve their pain. For someone with disc pathology (bulge or herniation) increasing the lordosis (extension) can be helpful. For someone that has both conditions (more common among 50 plus years of age), determining which condition is causing their symptoms is paramount to intervention at that time. Keeping these principles in mind, often a thorough patient history can be as revealing as an actual examination.
the effects are for me drastic, in a positive sense, after 1 day of doing this.
you can simply avoid "all or nothing" by spreading your legs only to the minimum amount necessary to have some glute flexing, and by doing it for a limited time.
i will likely do this permanenty for a while though

Tom K

The reason posted was to reassure those that do not benefit from your approach. No criticism was intended, nor was there any intent to reduce the validity of what was presented. Be well, Tom.

OP
A

Ableton

Glutes are muscles on the side of dour **** cheeks. People with apt don’t use them enough.

anyway, just went for my first run and the difference is remarkable. Zero stress from form. Had the tendency to land on the outside of my foot, that’s completely gone

Tom K

This was an excellent clip from YouTube. However, every component of the content is debatable. For example, a person with a thoracic kyphosis or Scheurmans can do these exercises 24/7 and will see minimal improvement. Someone with a herniated disc, that performs that supine exercise where the spine is flattened against the floor, will usually experience an increase in pain. Someone with spinal stenosis will experience a decrease in pain with that same exercise.

Some of the best athletes I have treated, including at the professional level, have an exaggerated APT, but also have well-developed glutes, squat 4-500 pounds, and abs so strong they could rack the stack on an abdominal resistance machine. I have seen a textbook application of interventions that should have unquestionably work and had no benefit. I have seen contradictory interventions that should not have worked that were successful. As stated previously, there is no cookbook, though many on the internet proclaim they posses the secret sauce to all your ills. While outcome based medicine has definite advantages, it also has serious drawbacks. As we attempt to establish the 'Standards of care,' we have reduced medicine to a mechanical entity where clinicians are reduced to memorization. Conceptual skills, those requiring observation, assessment, and the ability to synthesize information to form a diagnosis have lost their importance.

OP
A

Ableton

Thanks for your input. All my benefits from exercise basically lasted until my next 8h session at the computer.
This is a sitting position, not an exercise. It adresses the root of the problem for some.

Tom K

It does address the problems some have with sitting. However, many with herniated discs benefit from a lumbar pillow while in the seated position. The lumbar pillow restores the lordotic curve, moving the disc contents (the nucleus) forward, away from the sensitive structures (nerve roots, dura, etc.) reducing disc pressure, and usually reducing discomfort. Restoring the lordosis is also restoring the APT. It is excellent to have addressed your problem. Key words in that sentence: your problem. Best to you, Tom

Gone Peating

It does address the problems some have with sitting. However, many with herniated discs benefit from a lumbar pillow while in the seated position. The lumbar pillow restores the lordotic curve, moving the disc contents (the nucleus) forward, away from the sensitive structures (nerve roots, dura, etc.) reducing disc pressure, and usually reducing discomfort. Restoring the lordosis is also restoring the APT. It is excellent to have addressed your problem. Key words in that sentence: your problem. Best to you, Tom

Chill bro

OP
A

Ableton

he is probably mad that a non practitioner came up with something helpful
just try it the **** out, and stop if it does not work for whatever reason lmao

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals