haidut

Forum Supporter
As many of your have seen on TV, there is currently a boom in ads for drigs to treat fibromyalgia. This condition is yet another one of mysterious origins, at least according to mainstream medicine. The treatment consists mainly of GABA agonists like Lyrica but the official version is (of course) that there is no cure because the origins are unknown.
Well, the study below shows yet again that often the cause (and the cure) of a mysterious and incurable condition is much more mundane and simple than authorities would have you believe. As it turns out, the simple blood test for chronic glucose levels (A1C) was able to differentiate almost perfectly between fibromyalgia patients and controls, and also to predict who will have “flare” episode of increased pain. In addition, treating people with a drug (metformin) commonly used for diabetes 2 that improves insulin sensitivity essentially cured the condition. This of course makes perfect sense because people with insulin resistance and diabetes II have peripheral neuropathy and other nerve problems, with pain being one of the most common complaints. As such, it is not at all surprising that GABA agonists like Lyrica help given the powerful effects GABA has on improving insulin sensitivity. If that is the case, then good old niacinamide should be perfect as treatment for fibromyalgia not only because of its beneficial effects on insulin sensitivity by lowering FFA, but also because niacinamide is itself a GABA agonist similar in effects to benzodiazepines (GABA-A agonists). The letter drugs are also commonly used to treat fibromyalgia and the only reason Lyrica was developed was because those older benzo drugs ran out of patent and are dirt cheap.

Is insulin resistance the cause of fibromyalgia? A preliminary report
Does insulin resistance cause fibromyalgia? A newly confirmed link with insulin resistance may radically change the way fibromyalgia and related forms of chronic pain are identified and managed

“…The UTMB team of researchers, along with collaborators from across the U.S., including the National Institutes of Health, were able for the first time, to separate patients with fibromyalgia from normal individuals using a common blood test for insulin resistance, or pre-diabetes. They then treated the fibromyalgia patients with a medication targeting insulin resistance, which dramatically reduced their pain levels. The study was recently published in PlosOne. Fibromyalgia is one of the most common conditions causing chronic pain and disability. The global economic impact of fibromyalgia is enormous — in the U.S. alone and related health care costs are about $100 billion each year. Despite extensive research the cause of fibromyalgia is unknown, so there’s no specific diagnostics or therapies for this condition other than pain-reducing drugs.

“Earlier studies discovered that insulin resistance causes dysfunction within the brain’s small blood vessels. Since this issue is also present in fibromyalgia, we investigated whether insulin resistance is the missing link in this disorder,” Pappolla said. “We showed that most — if not all — patients with fibromyalgia can be identified by their A1c levels, which reflects average blood sugar levels over the past two to three months.” Pre-diabetics with slightly elevated A1c values carry a higher risk of developing central (brain) pain, a hallmark of fibromyalgia and other chronic pain disorders.” The researchers identified patients who were referred to a subspecialty pain medicine clinic to be treated for widespread muscular/connective tissue pain. All patients who met the criteria for fibromyalgia were separated into smaller groups by age. When compared with age-matched controls, the A1c levels of the fibromyalgia patients were significantly higher.

“Considering the extensive research on fibromyalgia, we were puzzled that prior studies had overlooked this simple connection,” said Pappolla. “The main reason for this oversight is that about half of fibromyalgia patients have A1c values currently considered within the normal range. However, this is the first study to analyze these levels normalized for the person’s age, as optimal A1c levels do vary throughout life. Adjustment for the patients’ age was critical in highlighting the differences between patients and control subjects.”

Gabriel Dell

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and using Thyroid(T3 Cynomel) decreased my pain in 90%

@haidut Why do you think Thyroid also has benefits for Fibromylagia ? Does Thyroid do anything related do Gaba?

lampofred

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and using Thyroid(T3 Cynomel) decreased my pain in 90%

@haidut Why do you think Thyroid also has benefits for Fibromylagia ? Does Thyroid do anything related do Gaba?

I think thyroid is the main source of healthy GABAergic activity. Low thyroid results in either anxiety or torpor. CO2 has very powerful sedative, anti-pain/inflammation, and anti-fatigue activity, and T3 is necessary for glucose oxidation.

LiveWire

Is that even a condition? I had to look it up, and seeing the symptoms I’d diagnose it as overall shitty health, a run down body, or just getting old.

In any event, doesn’t the study just show correlation? Insulin resistance goes hand in hand with bad overall health more often than not. They may have the same causes, but it doesn’t mean one causes the other. Not trying to be argumentative, just thinking out loud.

Blue Jefe

Is that even a condition? I had to look it up, and seeing the symptoms I’d diagnose it as overall shitty health, a run down body, or just getting old.

In any event, doesn’t the study just show correlation? Insulin resistance goes hand in hand with bad overall health more often than not. They may have the same causes, but it doesn’t mean one causes the other. Not trying to be argumentative, just thinking out loud.

Thanks for admitting that your opinion means nothing because you just had to look up whether Fibromyalgia is a “real condition.”

LiveWire

Thanks for admitting that your opinion means nothing because you just had to look up whether Fibromyalgia is a “real condition.”

You’re welcome.

I can manufacture a new type of diagnosis right now, by combining an arbitrary number of various symptoms from unknown causes and giving it one unified name.

thomas00

It's definitely real, as in the suffering is not imagined. Joint aches and sensitivity to pain seem like one of the most common complaints amongst people who have been told they have it. Crouching can be intolerable after only a short while.

It's probably the manifestation of hypothyroidism.

DaveFoster

You’re welcome.

I can manufacture a new type of diagnosis right now, by combining an arbitrary number of various symptoms from unknown causes and giving it one unified name.
Fibromyalgia's generally characterized by nerve pain. It's not psychosomatic per se either, as I used to have such pain frequently but much less often now. The condition's often co-morbid with depression and also IBS, particularly the variety with symptoms of diarrhea. Certain anti-depressants treat the fibromyalgia, IBS and depression, such as the tricyclic antidepressants. Doctors formerly have, and still do label sufferers as hypochondriacs, but inflammation throughout the nervous system can cause behavioral as well as sensory dysfunction.

Rheumatism appears in century-old writings. It's nothing new. It particularly affected the elderly, who also had problems with fatigue, memory loss, depression and so on.

puella

"Similarly, the serum lipid profiles (Fig. 7C), and insulin concentrations were all amplified in the high fat diet group by the additional treatment with gadolinium-based contrast agents."
Gadolinium-based contrast agents: Stimulators of myeloid-induced renal fibrosis and major metabolic disruptors

The gadolinium hypothesis for fibromyalgia and unexplained widespread chronic pain

I think fibromyalgia was around before GBCAs but wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple toxins that could result in similar symptoms (e.g. damage from EMFs is thought to be caused by the interference with calcium channels. Gadolinium is also a known calcium channel blocker)

(Apologize for beating a dead horse :):. Just hoping the dots keep getting connected with Gd in hopes of solution emerging).

*Also, not sure about the high fat diet part of the experiment. They used lard but didn't state the exact fat profile

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Interesting, in Dec 2019 the PLOS editors retracted the article for "ethics" reasons. Probably the Lyrica folks objected. However, the article is still available below the retraction statement.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Also interesting to me is the A1C cutoff value of ~5.7 as the range applicable to pre-diabetes and fibro. My A1C is typically 5.7-5.8, a number the Docs consider "normal", but I had fibromyalgia symptoms for years. When I take low-dose benzos for sleep (all the time now), I have very little pain, but when I attempt to discontinue, the pain comes roaring back. I had taken TCAs years ago and noticed the same improvement.

ww3not4me

I have tried niacinamide several times on my own and under my Doctors suggestion and it always makes me feel terrible! It works but it makes me feel so terrible it is unbearable.

Texon

I have tried niacinamide several times on my own and under my Doctors suggestion and it always makes me feel terrible! It works but it makes me feel so terrible it is unbearable.
The NMD may slowing methylation too much which you can offset with approximately equal amounts of trimethylglycine aka betaine.

Texon

Also if you have any tendency toward gout or high homocysteine the niacins will aggravate those aspects very reliably.

Dr. B

The NMD may slowing methylation too much which you can offset with approximately equal amounts of trimethylglycine aka betaine.
Could the combination of niacinamide and betaine be depleting or messing with something else then? They likely dont affect just each other?

Texon

Could the combination of niacinamide and betaine be depleting or messing with something else then? They likely dont affect just each other?
Not sure just seems to be a fairly well known way to offset the negative methylation effects. I recall Chris Masterjohn recommending a 1:1 ratio of TMG:Niacinamide if slowed methylation is an issue.

Motorneuron

L'NMD può rallentare troppo la metilazione che è possibile compensare con quantità approssimativamente uguali di trimetilglicina, nota anche come betaina.

@Texon Choline ?