Fibre/Regularity?

hoppimike

Does anyone else have this issue while Peatering? This is by FAR my number 1 issue while following a Ray Peat -inspired diet... getting bunged up xD

I must be missing something though.

Usually, my fibre comes from dates, nuts, seeds, bananas and so on, but of course all of these are no-nos pretty much when following Ray's guidelines.

So... where do we get our fibre and/or how do we manage regularity as Peatarians? ^^

Cheers guys n gals!

Hoppi :)

PS I'm aware there is an anti-fibre thing around but I don't fully understand it yet so please excuse my ignorance here :)

J

j.

Since I started the Peat diet, I go about every day. Sometimes three times in a day. Before that, I think wheat was blocking my regularity.

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

j. said:
Since I started the Peat diet, I go about every day. Sometimes three times in a day. Before that, I think wheat was blocking my regularity.

what is most of your diet though? It depends on the person as of course we all choose different foods within the Peat guidelines don't we? :)

J

j.

hoppimike said:
j. said:

what is most of your diet though? It depends on the person as of course we all choose different foods within the Peat guidelines don't we? :)

I feel like I eat almost like a frutarian.

What I had yesterday, if I recall correctly:

Before noon:

OJ (about 1 quart)

4 pears

A few spoons of sweet condensed milk

After noon:

OJ (0.5 quarts)

0.75 quarts of milk and some sweet condensed milk

1 egg

4 bananas

A few spoons of Coconut oil

------------------

I eat pears now because I can't find good apples, but when I was eating apples instead of pears, I was as regular.

Also, I do the raw carrot thing two or three times a week.

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

j. said:
I feel like I eat almost like a frutarian.

What I had yesterday, if I recall correctly:

Before noon:

OJ (about 1 quart)

4 pears

A few spoons of sweet condensed milk

After noon:

OJ (0.5 quarts)

0.75 quarts of milk and some sweet condensed milk

1 egg

4 bananas

A few spoons of Coconut oil

------------------

I eat pears now because I can't find good apples, but when I was eating apples instead of pears, I was as regular.

Also, I do the raw carrot thing two or three times a week.

Ah ok, I guess your fibre is coming from the bananas and pears, plus the coconut oil is a laxative. You're not actually taking in very much bulk at all though! :)

Bananas aren't very Peat though are they? I like them but I've been avoiding them... and wait, apples aren't very Peat either hehe

I dunno about pears.

Doesn't that mean the only truly "Peat" regularity helper in there is coconut? o_O

http://www.scribd.com/doc/88732693/Dr-R ... -Best-Diet

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/12/ ... tandi.html - "The fructose content of pears is probably helpful, but you should watch for what effect it might be having on your intestine, from the pectin. Pectin tends to increase serotonin by irritating the intestine."

(mixed stuff on apples and pears) :)

I'd love to get more OJ into me but it's so darn expensive for the not from concentrate stuff!! heh

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

What I really need is something Peat-friendly and very fibre high or safe and good at stimulating bowel movement.

I don't normally have any issue with this whatsoever, I just find it tricky to get fibre or similar in on a Peat diet that's all... it's the one thing I really can't seem to master about this o_O

EDIT -- Stuff that springs to mind is psyllium husk and coconut but I dunno if the former is permissible?

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

Ah and apparently OJ increases this as well, might explain why people are often ok what with all the coconut and OJ!

And apple cider vinegar and magnesium (permissible?).

I still find a good, affordable fibre source tricky on this diet though o_O

J

j.

hoppimike said:
Bananas aren't very Peat though are they? I like them but I've been avoiding them... and wait, apples aren't very Peat either hehe

I dunno about pears.

I think Peat's concern with bananas is that you might be allergic. But I've seen no reactions.

I feel better with apples than pears, it's just that the ones I can find now aren't good.

I think that even if the diet is not 100% peatarian because of some fruits, the drastic reduction of PUFAs and the elimination of grains still improved my well-being greatly.

cliff

Do you do a daily raw carrot?

I've heard ray say dates are fine, raisins too which are pretty high in fiber. Potatoes could also be a source of fiber if tolerated.

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

j. said:
hoppimike said:

I dunno about pears.

I think Peat's concern with bananas is that you might be allergic. But I've seen no reactions.

I feel better with apples than pears, it's just that the ones I can find now aren't good.

I think that even if the diet is not 100% peatarian because of some fruits, the drastic reduction of PUFAs and the elimination of grains still improved my well-being greatly.

Isn't the starch also ever a concern in large amounts? But yeah you're probs mostly good, other than that pectin concern about apples/pears o_O

cliff said:
Do you do a daily raw carrot?

I've heard ray say dates are fine, raisins too which are pretty high in fiber. Potatoes could also be a source of fiber if tolerated.

I eat a lot of carrots atm yeah and try to eat bamboo shoots too.. and coconuts! ^_^

I love dates and starchy tubers but they all give me Candida bloating due to the fibre/starch. Hm.

Jake

I have the same issue. I have been following Peat's stuff for ~ 5 months and feel really good, but constipation is an issue for me. I do the carrot salad daily.

Anyone have any input on long term effects or precautions of using cascara for an extend period of time. Any other suggestions on improving constipation is appreciated.

Attachments

• Chris, black&white cow moon.gif
    Chris, black&white cow moon.gif
    50.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Chris, cow and moon 1.jpg
    Chris, cow and moon 1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 128
  • Chris, cow with broken moon.jpg
    Chris, cow with broken moon.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 92

Jake

One thing I forgot to mention is epsom salt baths work for me to clear constipation. My current home does not have a bath, but when I went to visit my parents a while back I took one three days in a row and it did the trick. Hoppinmike, you may want to give this a shot.

Anyone injest epsom salt vs. taking a bath with it?

Attachments

• Chris, smiling moon 8.jpeg
    Chris, smiling moon 8.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 79
  • Chris, smiling moon 9.jpg
    Chris, smiling moon 9.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 72
  • Chris, smiling moon 12.jpg
    Chris, smiling moon 12.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 96

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jake, welcome to the community it's great to have you here! :wave:

I wonder if coconut oil is causing this? I have noticed a few people around the web that say coconut oil stops them up.

Meighen

I battled with constipation for most of my life (I'm now 65), knew I was hypothyroid at least 30 years ago, was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 10 years ago. I tried high-fibre eating, low-fibre eating (after reading Fiber Menace). I've been taking Thyrolax for at least 3.5 years (includes bovine glandular). However, about 3 years ago, I followed some advice from Matt Stone (can't remember if it was a posting, email, or from an ebook). Basically it's this: nothing but fruit for a week, add some vegetables and a bit of fat the second week, gradually add protein the following week. Unless I'm travelling, and my schedule is off, I usually have a bowel movement on average 3 times a day. Lately, because I'm eating more fruit (plus the raw carrot most days) I go 4 or 5 times a day. I eat very little grain these days, but a few months back when I ate more, I was still going usually 3 times a day.

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

I think I'm better now that I've started eating 250 grams of dates a day. So my sugar comes mostly from OJ and dates. That pretty much fixes it for me. I just omitted the dates before because I wasn't sure if they were ok...

Coconuts also help AFAIK as they are a laxative. So yeah.. dates and coconut should cover it... and ACV and OJ help it along :)

Those are my findings so far anyway! heh :)

Jake

Thanks Meighan and Hoppinmike. Meighan- that protocol seems very intriuging.

I seem fine for now as well. I've added in more dates and raisins and replaced some of the OJ.

Also been doing a Bamboo Shoot salad on its own twice a day. Bamboo shoots, coconut oil, salt, a little vinegar. Seems more effective than the carrot salad for me at least. Hopefully this thread will help others if they run into the same problem when starting.

Birdie

Jake,
From the info in his last nl, it looks like long term cascara is fine. Needs to be aged cascara or it can cause adverse rxns though. Peat talks about it's containing emodin, a cancer preventative, too. I use now brand which is cheap. Some people say there are better ones. More expensive. I'm using 2 at bedtime. I think Ratcheer uses his with the carrot salad.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Birdie said:
Jake,
From the info in his last nl, it looks like long term cascara is fine. Needs to be aged cascara or it can cause adverse rxns though. Peat talks about it's containing emodin, a cancer preventative, too. I use now brand which is cheap. Some people say there are better ones. More expensive. I'm using 2 at bedtime. I think Ratcheer uses his with the carrot salad.

Birdie, what is reverse rxns?

nwo2012

Cascara sagrada. RP recommends it to those with digestive issues.
Increasing your coffee intake will increase gut motility.
Bananas are definitely NOT recommended by RP, neither are pears.
Dates, however, he views as safe and a good source of sugar. I asked.

Once the thyroid is working well, your gut motility will be increased.

Maybe you have some old stool backed up?

Put 2 tablespoons of salt (sodium chloride) into warm water. Mix well and drink fast as possible.
Within 30 minutes you should have a good bowel movement, could be loose but the bowel will be well emptied.

nwo2012

Aspirin!

RP quote

The contractile ability of smooth muscle, that’s impaired by swelling and inflammation, can be restored by antiinflammatory agents, for example aspirin (or other inhibitor of prostaglandin synthesis) or antihistamines. This applies to the muscles of lymphatic vessels (Wu, et al., 2005, 2006; Gosling, 2000), that must function to reduce edema, as well as to the bowel muscles that cause peristalsis.