Fiber

zeropercent21

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does fiber do in the body that makes it not Peat friendly? I hear Ray Peat and people well-versed in his philosophies adamantly say to avoid fiber, but they never say why? I would definitely appreciate it if someone filled me in here.

J

j.

For what is worth, if I don't eat bananas for weeks, I crave them, so I don't follow that part of the Peat diet. I gave up and now eat bananas regularly.

kettlebell

Fiber goes further into the small and then into the large intestine where it feeds bacteria which produce endotoxin.

Endotoxin poisons the system by getting into the blood through leaky gut walls which causes a releases of estrogen. The more endotoxin that gets into the blood the higher pressure it puts on the liver. The more pressure the liver is under the more serotonin is released. That in turn causes more estrogen to be created. Vicious circle ensues.

Hope this helps.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
But but, fiber is good for you!!! :neener

/sarcasm

cliff

^fiber is good for you and all fiber isn't the same

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So whats the good fiber?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:doh You would think I would know this.

OP
Z

zeropercent21

kettlebell said:
Fiber goes further into the small and then into the large intestine where it feeds bacteria which produce endotoxin.

Endotoxin poisons the system by getting into the blood through leaky gut walls which causes a releases of estrogen. The more endotoxin that gets into the blood the higher pressure it puts on the liver. The more pressure the liver is under the more serotonin is released. That in turn causes more estrogen to be created. Vicious circle ensues.

Hope this helps.
Excellent! Thank you very much.

kettlebell

Well,

I think the term "The dose makes the poison" would be appropriate here.

We typically strain OJ because of the pulp which would contain small amounts of cellulose (Insoluble fibre) although I have read that many still debate the actual amount of cellulose in pulp OJ. Regardless, the pulp still feeds bacteria as it is harder to digest (And still must contain some cellulose). The more insoluble fibre you consume the more endotoxin the bacteria in your gut produce.

Its over production of endotoxin that causes an issue. Small amounts of endotoxin production are normal and shouldn't overload your liver if they get into the serum. I say shouldn't due to the next two paragraphs.

Considering the above, small amounts shouldn't do any harm (May be different for someone with significant leaky gut issues).

Putting this in context - The "dose" that makes it a problem will vary from person to person depending on how healthy their gut is AND how healthy their liver is, so as always, knowing where your limits are is on an individual basis.

Fruit, carrots, cucumber (A fruit) etc all contain greater amounts of soluble fibre.

A shotgun approach would be to avoid cellulose to a greater degree.

Gelatin is very effective at helping the gut heal in the early stages of a Peat approach.

Hope this helps!

OP
Z

zeropercent21

kettlebell said:
Well,

We typically strain OJ because of the pulp which would contain small amounts of cellulose (Insoluble fibre) although I have read that many still debate the actual amount of cellulose in pulp OJ. Regardless, the pulp still feeds bacteria as it is harder to digest (And still must contain some cellulose). The more insoluble fibre you consume the more endotoxin the bacteria in your gut produce.

Its over production of endotoxin that causes an issue. Small amounts of endotoxin production are normal and shouldn't overload your liver if they get into the serum. I say shouldn't due to the next two paragraphs.

Considering the above, small amounts shouldn't do any harm (May be different for someone with significant leaky gut issues).

Putting this in context - The "dose" that makes it a problem will vary from person to person depending on how healthy their gut is AND how healthy their liver is, so as always, knowing where your limits are is on an individual basis.

Fruit, carrots, cucumber (A fruit) etc all contain greater amounts of soluble fibre.

Gelatin is very effective at helping the gut heal in the early stages of a Peat approach.

Hope this helps!

This definitely cleared up a lot of things for me. Thanks once again!

Dean

If insoluble fiber is the "most bad" wouldn't that be a strike against dark chocolate, especially for those with gut issues?

key

kettlebell said:
Well,

Hope this helps!

Pectin(soluble fiber) is the worst. Cellulose is one of the better fibers. Oranges contain large amounts of pectin.

gretchen

^^ I love oranges but they give constipation for days. Could not live without orange juice though .

key

gretchen said:
^^ I love oranges but they give constipation for days. Could not live without orange juice though .

yes proper oj is the best sugar for stress for me

BingDing

This is from Danny Roddy's Ray Peat's Brain thread

Cellulose is the safe fiber, and (boiled) bamboo shoots are another safe fiber. My May newsletter, below, has some information about the effects of other fibers, including pectin. If the fruits don't cause digestive problems, such as gas, then the fiber is good. Apples and pears are often so fibrous (because of incomplete ripening) that the fiber can be harmful.

Maybe someone can find the May newsletter he is referring to.

The questions about orange juice are unsettled, IMHO. A few hours of research says pectin in oranges is in the rind and pith, not the juice. Citrus rind and apple pomace are the two major sources of commercially produced pectin.

I agree with Kettlebell's description of the issue but I'm not sure if that is the final word.

BingDing

Well, maybe I was wrong. The Wiki page on pectin distinguishes between oranges and citrus peels.

Typical levels of pectin in plants are (fresh weight):

apples, 1–1.5%

apricot, 1%

cherries, 0.4%

oranges, 0.5–3.5%

carrots approx. 1.4%

citrus peels, 30%