FIBER!

mamaherrera

I asked Peat directly what I could do to help get rid of estrogen dominance (knowing I can't take much supplements due to breastfeeding) and in his one line answer, he mentioned all the known foods (oysters, OJ, shellfish, eggs, liver, and FIBER). Now I'm curious. Looking at cronometer, I rarely get the dairly fiber needed per day, for a woman, 30grams. How do you all get your fiber on this diet??? I KNow carrots are good, but milk and OJ just don't do it?? I would like to increase my fiber! Curious!

aguilaroja

mamaherrera said:
I asked Peat directly what I could do to help get rid of estrogen dominance (knowing I can't take much supplements due to breastfeeding) and in his one line answer, he mentioned all the known foods (oysters, OJ, shellfish, eggs, liver, and FIBER). Now I'm curious. Looking at cronometer, I rarely get the dairly fiber needed per day, for a woman, 30grams. How do you all get your fiber on this diet??? I KNow carrots are good, but milk and OJ just don't do it?? I would like to increase my fiber! Curious!

I do not know the underlying cronometer.com assumptions about fiber. Due to prevailing dogma, I would guess cronometer ideas relates to the dietary fiber ideas of Denis Burkitt's successors, starting many health marketing trends. It seems better to be cautious about some of the brans and "bulk fibers" being touted. (No knock on Burkitt, who seemed to have been a sincere inquirer. Look what yogurt marketing has done to Mechnikov's investigations...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Pars ... tary_fibre

Dr. Peat seems to recommend specific digestible fibers like grated raw carrot and cooked bamboo shoots. My own experiences is that even a few teaspoons of carrot every day or two is very helpful. While I use different cooked root vegetables for intermittently variety, the fiber in ripe (mostly tropical) fruit, grated carrot, and infrequently (due to my logistics) bamboo shoots has seemed very digestion friendly.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/na ... gens.shtml

"There are interesting associations between vegetable “fiber” and estrogens. Because of my own experience in finding that eating a raw carrot daily prevented my migraines, I began to suspect that the carrot fiber was having both a bowel-protective and an antiestrogen effect. Several women who suffered from premenstrual symptoms, including migraine, had their serum estrogen measured before and after the “carrot diet,” and they found that the carrot lowered their estrogen within a few days, as it relieved their symptoms.

Undigestible fiber, if it isn't broken down by bowel bacteria, increases fecal bulk, and tends to speed the transit of material through the intestine, just as laxatives do. But some of these “fiber” materials, e.g., lignin, are themselves estrogenic, and other fibers, by promoting bacterial growth, can promote the conversion of harmless substances into toxins and carcinogens. When there is a clear “antiestrogen” effect from dietary fiber, it seems to be the result of accelerated transit through the intestine, speeding elimination and preventing reabsorption of the estrogen which has been excreted in the bile. Laxatives have this same effect on the excretion of estradiol.

Some of the isoflavones, lignins, and other phytoestrogens are said to prevent bowel cancer, but some of them, e.g., lignin, appear to sometimes increase its likelihood."

OP
M

mamaherrera

So y'oure saying things like Metamucil aren't good for you really?? And how much fiber do you think a person needs per day, in your opinion??? Should I just up the amount of carrots I'm eating???

pboy

i don't think he means 30 grams. Most fibers can cause gas or irritation so the idea is to use as little as you have to, and preferably one that doesn't have a high tendency to ferment...like raw carrot, bamboo shoots. I cant say from experience which is best...or what others might be beneficial. Id not do cruciferous vegetables or beans and nuts because they pretty much are guaranteed to cause gas and irritation

OP
M

mamaherrera

but with carrots, is more the better?? I mean if I want to get rid of estrogen, should I do two raw carrots daily? Or in this case, is more not always better?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I found this Peat quote on fiber and thought I'd post it here. This is from Endotoxin, stress, depression March 2011 newsletter
Ray wrote:
By the 1980's studies in animals were showing that some kinds of fiber, including oat bran, pectin, corn bran, metamucil, undegraded carrageenan, agar, psyllium, guar gum and alfalfa were carcinogenic, increasing the incidence of colon cancer and possibly ovarian and breast cancer.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
but with carrots, is more the better?? I mean if I want to get rid of estrogen, should I do two raw carrots daily? Or in this case, is more not always better?
I just eat one carrot daily. I've read others who eat less than that so it seems highly individual. I'm not sure if there is an easy answer other than self experimentation to see what works best for you

OP
M

mamaherrera

no thanks for finding that report, that seems to answer my question!@ So fiber isn't all ilt's cracked up to be?? YOu don't really need to shoot for 30 grams a day, especially for weight loss?

SQu

It seems you get about 3g fibre in a large carrot. From that, aiming for 30g a day seems unrealistic. I'd see if I could sustainably manage 2, if not, then 1. Stressing your gut with more than you want sounds counterproductive. And a figure like 30g a day sounds to me like just another of those unphysiological and unscientific red herrings that are part of the problem, not the solution.

Mittir

Carrot is very high in carotene, which can be antithyroid in excess.
Idea of raw carrot salad with some vinegar and coconut oil is not to
absorb nutrient from carrot.This is one of the reason RP recommends
eating carrot salad separate from meals. Carrot eaten with meal
can be absorbed in higher rate.It should passes through digestive system
mostly undigested. Raw carrot, vinegar and coconut oil all suppresses bacteria.
I think one serving of cooked bamboo shoot and one carrot salad is a good idea
instead of doing two carrot salads a day. Bamboo shoot fiber is very resistant
to breakdown.

aguilaroja

mamaherrera said:
So y'oure saying things like Metamucil aren't good for you really?? And how much fiber do you think a person needs per day, in your opinion??? Should I just up the amount of carrots I'm eating???

Other posts have answered this well. I avoid generally Metamucil and the seed/grain "bulk laxatives". I and others I know have done well with much less fiber and none of the seed/grain "bulk" stuff for many years, include with bowel regularity, proportional weight, and vascular health.

My experience is concordant with Mittir's suggestions: a bit of daily carrot, bamboo shoots when practical. (Due to much recent travel, preparing bamboo shoots takes more prep in my case.)

In times of high stress or endotoxin burdens due to infection or external factors, I increase the intake somewhat, but the total at a meal is usually more like spoonfuls than full salad bowls. I expect there is also some fiber in the ripe tropical fruits I eat. I don't aim for anything near the cronometer.com targets.

OP
M

mamaherrera

and how good/tasty are bamboo shots?? And how to prepare??? And I think cronometer's target is just RDA's recommendations.

translation dutch to english
K-Liber - Viben

Come on (6x)

(Chorus)
Come and viben me
let me pick you up
Loosen those hips

(bring that beat)
Who, what, what time, when
You know Robodop style, and am back again.
my blood goes crazy
And I'm called it
I vibe and shake because the beat, you know.
It does not matter if you can not dance
Vibe on the rhyme
So you have to dance a bit
It is not always nice weather
But together we do it
Come with me

[chorus]
jump jump jump

[chorus]
jump jump jump jump jump

Stand up, chill out there
Chicks want to vibrate from there
Pump that can beat beats up to those buttocks
Your energy so nobody can kill that vibe
Throw those hands in the air, then go low
Touch your toes, do your dance
You fight like that and the vibe is live
Come on spring

[Chorus]
jump jump jump

[Chorus]
jump jump jump jump jump

Just go loose
Let's pump
Just go loose
Have a good time banging with your ****
Just go loose
Everyone is going to vibes
Just go loose
Out of your roof and haiping

Listen to that beat and let your hips relax
Move on that rhythm and you feel that heavy bass
K-liber in da house and you know whats up!
Let that beat pumping and jump jump

[Chorus]
jump jump jump

[Chorus]
jump jump jump jump jump

Stand up, chill out there
Chicks want to vibrate from there
Pump that can beat beats up to those buttocks
Your energy so nobody can kill that vibe
Throw those hands in the air, then go low
Touch your toes, do your dance
You fight like that and the vibe is live
Come on spring

[chorus 2x]
jump jump jump

Just go loose
Let's pump
Just go loose
Have a good time banging with your ****
Just go loose
Everyone is going to vibes
Just go loose
Out of your roof and haiping

[Chorus]
jump jump jump
etc

Suikerbuik

Haha, hoe kom je erop:tearsofjoy: (haha, how do you get here??)

David90

I get my 30g Fiber easily. I Eat Oranges, Bananas or Dried Fruit, some well cooked Spinach and Potatoes and a Raw Carrot. As Well as some Red Beets.

I Would advise against eating too much Fiber since it CAN increase SHBG. I have seen this on my earlier Blood Test where it was too high, due to much Fiber in the Diet (and also Weight Training the Evening Before). I Would keep it personally in the 25-35g per Day Range to keep it safe.....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals