Fiber For Satiety

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Nice article, some people here recommend getting 2g carb for every 1g protein. Specifically to avoid hypoglycemia and to make use of the protein you eat so it doesn't get used for fuel. @Hans It looks like you don't get quite that much so do you agree with that?

For me personally I am sedentary so a lot of extra carbs would seem like easy fat gain, or I would have to go unnaturally low in fats.
As far as I know carnivore folks don't get hypoglycemia from protein only. Your body is very good at regulating blood sugar so will prevent hypoglycemia. I have never experienced hypoglycemia from meat before.
I just want to make sure I'm getting over 200g of carbs daily (preferably around 300g) as I'm not training balls to the wall and even hard resistance training will not come close to depleting muscle glycogen if only done for a few sets.

In my opinion carbs won't make you any more fat than fat will. If you're in a surplus then you'd gain weight, but if it's either low carb or low fat, that amount of weight gain will be less than if high carb and high fat were combined (there are exceptions ofc).

I'm basically eating food to get enough micros so I'm ending up at about 1g of protein per pound BW which is actually ideal for a intermediate to advanced lifter. Then I just add in carbs with milk, honey and OJ and I end up at about 300g. I'm feeling great and am full all day so I don't really have a desire for more carbs.

David90

Curious, why would you specifically want to up fiber a little when working a manual labor job?
Sorry, for the Late Anwser. Was busy the Last Days.....:sweatsmile:

Mostly for Satiety Purposes (Personal Preference). Especially if i have long Working Hours at my Store (9 or 10 Working Hours, like Tomorrow). I have tried it with Less Fiber on such Working Hours and it does not help me personally.

Like i said, i hold it mostly between 15-25g of Fiber per Day (Mostly Insoluble Fiber). Sometimes even less. But I'm agreeing with you on the Part, that you not need that much Fiber per Day.

I also think that it contributes to Bloated Abs (?) sometimes. I have watched this personally before, where my Fiber was like 25-35g per Day, and abs would be instantly bloated....

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Sorry, for the Late Anwser. Was busy the Last Days.....:sweatsmile:

Mostly for Satiety Purposes (Personal Preference). Especially if i have long Working Hours at my Store (9 or 10 Working Hours, like Tomorrow). I have tried it with Less Fiber on such Working Hours and it does not help me personally.

Like i said, i hold it mostly between 15-25g of Fiber per Day (Mostly Insoluble Fiber). Sometimes even less. But I'm agreeing with you on the Part, that you not need that much Fiber per Day.

I also think that it contributes to Bloated Abs (?) sometimes. I have watched this personally before, where my Fiber was like 25-35g per Day, and abs would be instantly bloated....
Oh you mean if you have to go 9 or more hours without food? That makes sense. Do you have a big bolus of meat before those long working hours?

David90

Oh you mean if you have to go 9 or more hours without food? That makes sense. Do you have a big bolus of meat before those long working hours?
No. I Go mostly 6 Hours without Food. I have 30 to 45 Minutes Break, at every Shift.

No. I only eat Meat (mostly Organs, Beef and Calf Liver) on the Weekends. I Eat mostly like in Ober of The ThreadS from @GreekDemiGod written.

Hgreen56

funny, fiber is for me the only thing that's makes me satisfied and increase my bowel movement.
i can eats tons of protein (300 gr a day) but never stops the hunger for me.
i can eat tons of protein + fat (ketose) is always hunger if i dont eat tons of fiber.
No fiber = no bowel movement for days = constipation & always hunger.

Also, how much fiber are you aiming for daily and from what food sources do you get it?

Did some digging in my food log..
i need at least 20 grams fiber a day for bowel movement.(1 poop a day, so 30-40 grams = 2 poops)
If i eat 40-50 gr fat from coconut oil, olive oil dairy or beef fat with no fiber = constipation
If i eat 500 gr beef as only fiber sourche = constipation
If i eat no dairy with no fiber = constipation. (so its not dairy or high calcium that's cause constipation)
Eating 2 carrots and 1 can bamboo shots and some mushrooms (which is not 20 gr fibers total) = constipation
Ketogenic diet = constipation
Always less than 20 grams fiber = no poop, hard stools -> constipation.
Doesn't matter where fiber comes from but i think fruit fiber cause more bloat than other sources
Not understanding why exactly... Does that make sense anyway? maybe i am wrong... never paid attention on it.

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Did some digging in my food log..
i need at least 20 grams fiber a day for bowel movement.(1 poop a day, so 30-40 grams = 2 poops)
If i eat 40-50 gr fat from coconut oil, olive oil dairy or beef fat with no fiber = constipation
If i eat 500 gr beef as only fiber sourche = constipation
If i eat no dairy with no fiber = constipation. (so its not dairy or high calcium that's cause constipation)
Eating 2 carrots and 1 can bamboo shots and some mushrooms (which is not 20 gr fibers total) = constipation
Ketogenic diet = constipation
Always less than 20 grams fiber = no poop, hard stools -> constipation.
Doesn't matter where fiber comes from but i think fruit fiber cause more bloat than other sources
Not understanding why exactly... Does that make sense anyway? maybe i am wrong... never paid attention on it.
Do you get out in nature a lot and do you walk often?

Hgreen56

Do you get out in nature a lot and do you walk often?
i work on a farm and do fitness. so yess i walk my leggs off.
maybe the whole constipation is a thyroid thing thats little off.
But did have a blood test yesterday so still waiting for results.

Last edited:
M

metabolizm

@Hans
This is a really interesting topic.
Here in the UK, fibre is constantly promoted in the media, usually in the form of whole wheat or nuts or beans. See here.
Breakfast cereals almost always brag about their high fibre content. Obviously an effective marketing tool.
But I'm still undecided about it. Ray Peat himself claimed something like, "I've had a fiber free diet for about twenty years". (I can't find the source of the quote, but he was being a little coy: he eats raw carrots and mushrooms, for example, mainly for their fibrous qualities).
I've had great bowel movements on a low-fibre diet, but I am struggling to find consistency.
Whenever I eat extremely rough foods like wheat, my stool comes out of me like a rock, presumably carrying with it a bunch of bacteria. On the other hand, when I avoid the classically fibrous foods, my stool tends to be softer, and is occasionally loose.
Anyway, to conclude: I think a low fibre diet is ok, maybe even optimal, as long as you have fast transit and good bowel movements. It seems the health of the intestine is the really important factor, not so much the roughness of the food you consume.

Last edited by a moderator:
@metabolizm Do you feel the extra fibre is giving you a prebiotic effect?

The average fibre intake (UK) is 18 grams, 30 is the RDA

M

metabolizm

@metabolizm Do you feel the extra fibre is giving you a prebiotic effect?

The average fibre intake (UK) is 18 grams, 30 is the RDA

All I can say is that when I consume extra roughage, for example in the form of whole wheat, my bowel movements increase in size and weight. No surprise, I suppose.
But if I consume too much I get constipated, sometimes for two or three days. It's a fine line.
In any case, I have a clear intolerance to wheat, so I'm going to have to get my fibre from fruit and raw carrots again, a la Ray Peat. I do think that a healthy intestine is the key factor, and eating tons of fibre isn't always going to lead to a healthy intestine.

David90

My SHBG was at the bottom of normal range in my last blood tests, I figure increasing my fiber recently would help raise it.
Sorry for the late Anwser. Got Very Busy the last few weeks. Plus, i was in Quaratine because of Covid (catching it for the second Time in Two Years).

Yeah, if your goal is to Increase SHBG, then feel free to try it0.
I personally hold my Fiber somewhere between 15-25g per Day (30g as Absolute Maximum).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals